Struggling, will it ever stop…

Options
I keep trying to get motivated but the minute I lose a couple of pounds it seems that I give up. It’s stupid and I don’t understand why I’m like that, most people get encouraged by losing and in some stupid kind of way I think its ok to let go. I have a good 70 lbs. to go so it’s not like I’m almost there and I say the hell with it. Does anyone understand why I’m like that???

Replies

• nroth57
    nroth57 Posts: 21
    Options
    Because it's not a habit yet! I think they say it takes about a month to form a habit. You've been doing the same thing for years, its habit to fall back on it because that's comfortable! The longer you've been in one habit, the longer it takes it break it. Don't worry about falling back on old ways. Just remember you're in it for the long haul. the ups and downs. if you revert back to the old ways, vow to wake up and start over the next day.

I don't think that a healthy lifestyle in the face of a million bad choices will ever be easy. My mouth will always water for a big greasy pizza and some beer. I will always crave M&Ms. I won't suddenly wake up one day and prefer a bag of carrots to a bag of combos. Understanding that helped me combat it. Thinking it was going to change for me was just setting myself up for failure. I've accepted that those things all taste so good. I can't deny it, I just have to limit the amount of times I can let myself give in.
  • Kaiukas
    Kaiukas Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Maybe also reflect on whether you really do want to lose weight and what your motivations are. People who have done a psychological MOT before they embark on a weight loss journey tend to be more successful long-term.

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • ohnoetry
    ohnoetry Posts: 129
    Options
    One thing that has helped me has been to break down my big goal (65 lbs) into smaller goals. So instead of "omg, I have 36 pounds left" I take it ten pounds at a time, and that makes my goal seem more tangible. I also reward myself every milestone with something small like a manicure or a pair of shoes, etc.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    Because it's not a habit yet! I think they say it takes about a month to form a habit. You've been doing the same thing for years, its habit to fall back on it because that's comfortable! The longer you've been in one habit, the longer it takes it break it. Don't worry about falling back on old ways. Just remember you're in it for the long haul. the ups and downs. if you revert back to the old ways, vow to wake up and start over the next day.

I don't think that a healthy lifestyle in the face of a million bad choices will ever be easy. My mouth will always water for a big greasy pizza and some beer. I will always crave M&Ms. I won't suddenly wake up one day and prefer a bag of carrots to a bag of combos. Understanding that helped me combat it. Thinking it was going to change for me was just setting myself up for failure. I've accepted that those things all taste so good. I can't deny it, I just have to limit the amount of times I can let myself give in.

I wholeheartedly agree with this! After about 5 months of losing weight, I've realized this whole thing is about breaking old habits and creating new ones, and has less to do with "how many calories should I eat/burn/etc". The first month was the hardest for me. You just have to dig deep and take it one day at a time. When the days build on each other, it feels amazing. When you get to day 3 you feel really impressed with yourself, then day 4, then day 5 and you're just plain shocked, then you get on the scale and see 2lbs down,...etc. Please stick with it! It's worth it!
  • porscheparcher
    Options
    DON'T GIVE UP! Everyday you will get better! Focus on change. You can do this I promise. WE are in it together. Add me and I will be your personal motivator. I know what it feels like to be so close and to give up, or just stop in the middle. You have to remember and think about WHY are you doing this, how BAD do you want it? Just stay focused. I'm here for you! <3
  • ccnjc4e
    ccnjc4e Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Don't give up!! I have been working on losing weight since January, how many have I lost you ask? Around 12. WHY?? Because I am doing a lifestly change, I loose a few, I gain a few, I eat something bad, say holy crap and learn from my mistake. Also my son being in the hospital in May, getting a full time sit down desk job, everything! It happens. But you know what?? I am still down 12 pounds from last year. A NSV I had- being able to go camping and walking to the fishing point without feeling like I need to stop because I was too winded. That was in August. Just keep going and keeping doing it.
  • SopranogirlCa
    SopranogirlCa Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I here you, I do the same thing. I get one compliment and I am done. It's so ridiculous since I have about 65 pounds left to lose. Crazy!
  • chatterbox3110
    chatterbox3110 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I think sometimes we're scared of success. I know I felt that way for a while, and struggled, but eventually the feelings changed and I'm plodding on with my little steps and the pounds lost are mounting up.

I've had a rough few weeks, and I can feel myself sliding a little, but the secret now is not to admit defeat but to reflect on the successes so far and the reason behind it, and keep those positive thoughts.

Good luck, you can do it and you will!
  • AmberJo1984
    AmberJo1984 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I understand how you feel. I sometimes want to give up. But, it's never worth it to do that. It never betters your situation to back away from a struggle.

I actually wrote a post similar to this earlier. I hope you don't mind me sharing what I wrote. It's something I always think about when I'm struggling with something.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/770214-you-can-t-fly-without-a-little-struggle
  • 67July
    67July Posts: 17
    Options
    Well, I have to say thanks to all of you. Your comments really help my way of thinking. And as for the butterfly story….with all the struggles that I’m going through in life, lol man I’ll be flying like a jet by the time I’m a senior. Lol Thanks, I loved your post.