What to eat before giving blood

Options
2»

Replies

• Nefetete
    Nefetete Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I think I need more red meat and spinach or something to boost my iron. I don't really eat that many foods with high iron content nowadays.

Eating more iron rich foods prior to giving blood will not change your iron level overnight, it takes month to effect iron or any other micornutrients levels with food consumption or even supplements. However I would suggest to have orange joice or chocolate that you can drink/eat after giving blood.

Just eat normally, or if this is a doctor appointed blood test, they will tell you if you can eat or not.
  • Kagami_Taiga
    Kagami_Taiga Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I think I need more red meat and spinach or something to boost my iron. I don't really eat that many foods with high iron content nowadays.

Eating more iron rich foods prior to giving blood will not change your iron level overnight, it takes month to effect iron or any other micornutrients levels with food consumption or even supplements. However I would suggest to have orange joice or chocolate that you can drink/eat after giving blood.

Just eat normally, or if this is a doctor appointed blood test, they will tell you if you can eat or not.

Discovered something interesting, to me anyway. The protein bars I've been having for the last few months contain 59% RDA of Iron. Is the sugar in the chocolate good for something? or is it just the whole blood sugar thing.
  • gddrdld
    gddrdld Posts: 464 Member
    Options

First, they will prick your finger to check your hemoglobin (which is a reflection of the total number of red blood cells in your blood) NOT your iron level. This is a very common misunderstanding. Low hemoglobin CAN be a sign of iron deficiency anemia but it is in NO WAY a "measure of your iron" and eating iron rich foods the night before giving blood will NOT effect your hemoglobin levels. High and/or low hemoglobin levels an occur for many other reasons other than iron deficiency type anemia...Just eat a normal diet and drink fluids during and after giving to help your body reproduce the donated blood.
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    meh, you dont have to eat anything special before.

you may feel better if you eat a sugar cookie or something similar afterward.... anything with a little sugar (like the cookies or juice they usually offer) helps almost immediately.. any carbs (like they flour in the cookie or potato chips) will help you for the next hour or two.. after that you're fine.
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options

Discovered something interesting, to me anyway. The protein bars I've been having for the last few months contain 59% RDA of Iron. Is the sugar in the chocolate good for something? or is it just the whole blood sugar thing.

they probably add ferrous sulfate to the mineral blend.
  • heyshell79
    heyshell79 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    nothing special, just hydrate! I gave blood yesterday, I wonder if that burns any calories....hmmm...
  • Kagami_Taiga
    Options

I can see "Ferric (III)"
  • Nefetete
    Nefetete Posts: 343 Member
    Options

59% RDA of Iron is actually pretty good. What's the bar u use.
    Not sure about the sugar, but I generally try to minimize sugar intake, with the exception of 'sugar' from fruits.
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options

I can see "Ferric (III)"

if it's really ferric, the iron may as well be 0 on that bar. You MIGHT absorb 1-2% of that if you're lucky.
  • Kagami_Taiga
    Options

Not sure about the sugar, but I generally try to minimize sugar intake, with the exception of 'sugar' from fruits.

Bar?
  • Kagami_Taiga
    Options

Oh bar, I thought you meant like a number I keep within or something, I'm clearly needing sleep, not iron.

I buy Pure Protein Bars, they have about 20g protein each and round about 200 kcals. I eat them before doing some kind of exercise.
  • formerlynobel
    formerlynobel Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere that it takes 500-650 calories to re-create that pint of blood.....
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Sometimes my iron is below their requirement for donors, so I usually eat Cream of Wheat cereal 3 or 4 times in the week prior to donating. Works like a charm.

As for foods, I eat normally, and make sure I've had plenty of water. I like donating after lunch - seems like they have an easier time finding the vein in one stick, and the pint fills in no time at all. :bigsmile: My body is much more generous when it's well fed & hydrated!
  • 041jackson
    041jackson Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Personally, as a frequent donor (giving my 10th time tomorrow, and I'm only 21), eat. EAT. Do not even count your calories. Yes, you can do it on a normal 1200 calorie day. Do I recommend it? Absolutely not. Although you may be fine giving, you also may not be. This is your first time. I can tell you I burn a TON more calories during the day just from adrenaline, loss of blood (and your body countering that effect), and spiking and lowering your blood sugar, than on a normal day. Please, please, keep safety in mind and eat at least 2500 calories. You may feel fine tomorrow after giving blood (re: endorphins) but let me tell you, when you wake up the day after (and if you havent eaten properly) it is going to suck worse than a hangover.

Also, water prep 3 days in advance. At least 3 L daily, and 4 or 5 the day of (mostly before - it helps your blood flow faster into the bag). Those 2500 calories can (and should be) healthy, but please don't risk it! Most people consume closer to 4000 to counteract what your body is going through the day of.
    Congratulations on your choice! Very proud :)
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    ^^ 1200 calories is not normal for me! :bigsmile: I aim for 1800+ on any given day, and I eat VERY well on donating days.

But I agree, eat well when you donate blood, your body needs it.