Do/have you used a video console to work out?

Options
I was talking to my dear husband about getting a WII this weekend, so I could work out using that and it still be fun. Anyways, I guess my question is have you used a console to work out? If so, did it work (help you?) I absolutely hate working out, and I guess if I can do it while having fun with a video game console I'd work out more.

TIA.

Replies

• hiker359
    hiker359 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    If you hate working out, find something that you enjoy that's active. Go outside for a walk. Ride a bike. Go hiking and enjoy some gorgeous scenery. Just do anything beside sit in the house. Why must life resolve around a screen, whether it be the television or a computer monitor. Too much of our lives are already spent there. Get out and enjoy what little pleasant weather remains (at least in the states).
  • krstngrrtt
    krstngrrtt Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Personally I would recommend getting an Xbox with the Kinect over getting a Wii .. they are similar but the Kinect has a lot more options for weight loss activities. I have both and I've found that the Kinect games are a lot more fun, more entertaining to play with a partner and a bit more user-friendly since you don't have to have a board or hold a remote. My son and I play the "Just Dance" games and I think I burn just as many calories laughing as I do dancing!
  • loopingcaterpillar
    loopingcaterpillar Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    i have a wii, and wii fit, you still need motivation. i do like just dance 4. still needs will power. with a sofa as an alternative im inclined to waver..... :P
  • Alford96
    Options
    LOVE LOVE LOVE WII ZUMBA. Almost as good a workout as a real class

Just Dance 2-45 minutes-OK cardio but really fun (just my opinion, ladies, don't shoot me)

WII Your Fitness Coach (or is it My Fitness Coach?)- good cardio workout but I'm still trying to get a greater intensity so I'm upping the difficulty every time (only used 4 times so far so feel confident I'm getting there)

I've heard good things about the WII fit too-it's on my wish list.

Having said that, I've ALSO heard that there are some pretty good ones from KINECT-I just happened to already have a WII.
  • cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Yes, yes yes!!

I was in the same boat as you. Didn't enjoy exercising. But when it became a game, I became addicted. Check out the EA Sports Active (1 and 2... 2 is better)... I lost 35 pounds eating well (tracking calories) and doing the challenge over... and over... and over....

:)
  • sisierra
    sisierra Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Hey I got my mom a Wii and I use it more than she does lolol. But i bought Just Dance 3 and I love it, its fun and because it is you spend a lot of time doing it and getting in an awesomely fun workout

i also have an xbox with kinect and I have UFC pro-trainer, and since I like martial arts its super fun :D
  • spike90
    spike90 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I use my Wii fit to work out 1 to 2 days per week. I work up a sweat doing it. I also like the Wii sports resorts but they are much of a workout. There are also great zumba, dance and excercise games for it as the others said.
  • truckers_wife
    Options
    I do Zumba on my Wii. LOVE it!! Bowling is really fun too and can burn a good amount of calories while having fun. Find something you like. In the past I had problems getting motivated to exercise. Since starting Zumba, I actually look forward to it.
  • AEcklar813
    AEcklar813 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Get a kinect. In my opinion it's better. There are more options for fitness games and I like it better than my wii. I only use my wii fit to weigh in now.
  • MrsWilsoncroft
    MrsWilsoncroft Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    I have a wii. My favourite fitness games are ea sports active and wii fit plus x
  • brandyss
    brandyss Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Love my wii I have several games so I can change it up..but I use it everyday!!
  • jlbeals
    jlbeals Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    The Xbox 360 with Kinect is really great! We use the Dance Central games quite often, and there are a lot of other fun video games that get you moving too (I like Your Shape quite a bit). I highly recommend it over the Wii - no need for remotes or other peripherals so there is a greater variety of workouts available.
  • LAMypie
    LAMypie Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    We have a Kinect. Dance Central and Dance Central 2 (3 comes out this week), Your Fitness Evolved, Kinect Sports, Kinect Sports 2, are all good ones for weight loss and they're a ton of fun. Gotta start somewhere, why not with a game? :wink:
  • spinedocmfp
    spinedocmfp Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Both my wife and I have used EA active 2 for the wii. It is actually quite good, and can definitely give a good cardio workout. Just be sure to buy rechargeable AAA batteries, as you burn through them if you use it a lot.
  • kelsey054
    kelsey054 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much. I'm debating on the consoles still but will decide by Friday. :)