Mix With It ??

Options
Hey.. What does everyone mix their Protein Shakes with?

Looking to maximize Protein / Calcium while minimizing Calories.

Replies

• stephanie1133
    Options
    Water if I'm going low cal. Plain chobani or fage yogurt if I'm trying to maximize protein.
  • Tilran
    Tilran Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Water. If it doesnt taste good with water, its not a protein powder I'm keeping.
  • newmooon56
    newmooon56 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    8 oz of unsweetened almond milk with give you 15 calories and 45% of your daily calcium. 2. 5 grams of fat if you care... good stuff.
  • kzooprincess
    kzooprincess Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Water, milk, coffee. Never at the same time but those are my staples. A little chocolate protein powder and coffee mixed together equals a better for me "frappe" than stopping by McDonalds (though I do give in every once in a while).
  • mdhummel
    mdhummel Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I'll blend my protein shake with water and ice if I am watching calories, but to add protein I add 2% milk and/or Greek yogurt. I've tried adding almonds, but the nuts usually settle to the bottom of my smoothie.
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    Water. If it doesnt taste good with water, its not a protein powder I'm keeping.
    ahhh i thought they all tasted like crap with water! good tip to keep in mind.
  • VinnyI82
    VinnyI82 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I work at UPS so I burn up to 3k extra calories just from work & lifting.
    So with that said:
    Water + syntha 6 on the weekends to keep the calorie intake low, I like to do 2 maybe 3 shakes.
    Skim milk + syntha 6 on the weekdays for the extra calcium and cals with the same 2-3 shakes.

If I add rolled oats to the mix, I make the shake with water.
  • MrsWilsoncroft
    MrsWilsoncroft Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    Water
    Almond milk
    Light soya milk
    Coffee
    Yogurt
  • sameervasta
    Options
    Get a chocolate flavored protein powder, toss it in some decaf coffee with some ice, and then blend. Voila — homemade frappucino. Delicious, protein dense.
  • whatwouldmulderdo
    whatwouldmulderdo Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I use coconut water :)
  • Tilran
    Tilran Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    ahhh i thought they all tasted like crap with water! good tip to keep in mind.

I recommend you try Trutein. Best flavor in powders I have tried.
  • battynat12
    Options
    unsweetened vanilla almond milk and I also throw in some frozen strawberries instead of ice, it really thickens up the shake and makes it taste much better for just a few calories.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Water with muscle milk, skim milk with EAS.
  • fatty_to_fitty
    fatty_to_fitty Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    just water. But soya milk is great too
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    8 oz of fat-free milk (90 cals) for the extra 8g of protein, water if I'm shooting for 0 extra cals. Berries act as an ok thickener if you want some extra flavor and don't mind adding 30 cals or so.