Ready to run

Options
I had a PICC line for 4.5 months. It's a permanent IV that I was doing meds through twice a day. I couldn't do serious exercises because I risked infection growing beneath the dressing and getting into my bloodstream and causing sepsis.

As soon as I had the line out I went out for a couple of jogs. 8.7 miles and 3.7 miles on two consecutive days. I had enough pain in my back that I went to see the GP about it. She said I need to start slowly - which makes sense. What's a good beginner distance if my own determination can simply keep me running despite tired legs and burning lungs?

Additionally, what are good exercises to strengthen the core muscles? I'm doing twist-lifts with honeydew melons, side plank reps, but no sit-ups any more since my back was hurting so much each time I lay back. Do I want to focus most on obliques or abs?

Thanks

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    The appropriate amount of running, when you're first starting out, is purely a function of your level of fitness (not just aerobic but your body's ability to deliver oxygen to muscle etc etc). If you haven't exercised for several months I would recommend that you start out with walking combined with (slow & short) running intervals. The pace should be one at which you're breathing is relaxed but deep (your lungs should not be burning) and as to time a minute or two or running with a few minutes of walking & repeat. Over time increase the running intervals but don't rush your progress, most running injuries are a result of too much, too soon, too fast.

For core strength front planks, supermans, side planks, bridges - running engages your abs so a strong core facilitates good form. You should also consider cross training & strength training to support your running, here are some ideas on runnersworld.com

http://www.runnersworld.com/subtopic/0,7123,s6-238-263-266-0,00.html
  • amybg1
    amybg1 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    For starting slowly - go for a 2-2.5 mile run/jog. I know it seems a short distance but increase by a half mile each week; you'll get back to 7 miles or so sooner than you think!

Do you have a Swiss ball at home? If not I'd suggest buying one - they are cheap and a great addition to your core routine. What most people I find don't understand is that 'core' isn't just your abs! It's your abs, obliques, trunk in general as well as your back!

Assuming you either have or are looking into a Swiss ball, do back extensions on it. A sore back can mean weak muscles in that area; could also mean you don't have proper form. I've been correcting plenty of people doing things wrong at the gym to help with injury prevention - and I'm visually impaired so thee fact I can see those mistakes right there says A LOT about form.

For your core if you don't want to do sit-ups or even crunches go for leg raises. They work your core and find they help with back soreness. Other exercises would be windshield wipers/pendulums, full and side planks, v-sits, trunk rotations and that sort of thing. For your breathing economy as well as core work there are running planks you could do as well as an exercise which I forget the name.

For running planks, get into 'up' position (as though you were about to do a push-up) and using your core as well as hips just a bit, lift the opposite leg up and aim it towards your elbow.

So as an example I'm in up position and I want to start with my left elbow, using my core muscles mostly I'll lift my right leg up and aim the knee towards the elbow without letting them touch and go back to the original position and then do the same with my left knee/right elbow. You want to do these quickly - it's almost like running stationary feels like. Aim for about 30 seconds of this.

The other is as follows: lie on your back and lift your legs as though you were getting ready to do Russian twists. So a slight bend in the knees, feet off the ground at all times. Using your core lift your upper body off the ground and move your arms at a good speed like you would when you run. So shoulders and hands relaxed, fingers lightly touching if you like pretend you're holding a potato chip in each hand but don't want to break it. Do this for 30 seconds or however long you can to start. Looks weird but this exercise works your core and helps to open up your chest to help you breathe better during your runs.

When you run pretend you're a puppet on strings, so your back straight, eyes looking straight in front of you and run lightly on your feet and take short, quick strides. make sure you breathe in deep enough but not too deep and incorporate your nose and mouth in your breathing technique. You don't want too little air but you don't want too much either; just enough to fuel your muscles, and for things to be comfortable but you don't want to breathe in too much air which I've seen some people do so and it affected their form.
  • Escultor
    Options
    Good information from both of you. Cheers!
  • Escultor
    Options
    Amy, I just tried this: "For running planks, get into 'up' position (as though you were about to do a push-up) and using your core as well as hips just a bit, lift the opposite leg up and aim it towards your elbow. "

That is brutal!
  • amybg1
    amybg1 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Core work IS supposed to be brutal! If it's too easy I'd wonder if you were doing it right...Or if you were working on core strength the good way - not the easy way around!