Joining a gym

Options
I am thinking about joining a gum just for women. I have never gone to a gym and I was wondering what you all thought about gyms on general.

Replies

• Sminett1993
    Options
    Bump!
  • mwintturi
    Options
    I like going to a gym with guys because I like to look at them while I'm working out... the eye candy gives me a little motivation to get my old body back! :)
    My current gym even has a women's only section, but I never go in there.
  • AEFidgets
    AEFidgets Posts: 243
    Options
    I loved going to my co-ed one. Worth the money to lift and use a treadmill in lousy weather
  • Cutie_browneyes2004
    Options
    I prefer the gym over working out outside... I think it's just a personal preference. I signed up for the fitness center at my local community center it's cheaper then a traditional gym and ususally less crowded... but i think you have to try it to see if you like it
  • mdhummel
    mdhummel Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    If you feel uncomfortable working out in front of the opposite sex an all women's gym can provide a relaxed atmosphere. I used to work out at an all women's gym so I wouldn't have to worry about putting on make up or cute work out clothes. Recently I joined a co-ed gym because I want to work out with my husband.
  • Katbody10
    Katbody10 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Hmm.. I guess I never thought about it. I am very self-conscious of my physique .. but oh well .. that's why I'm there. I doubt anyone's looking at me anyway.

It's been years since I had a gym membership .. and recently decided to check out either the YMCA or the 24 Hour Fitness - both of which are about a block or 2 away. I went and got a 3 day free pass to the 24 Hour Fitness .. got a tour and tried out a yoga class. There were guys in there even.. which surprised me. I checked out a few other things, the Aqua classes, etc.

I have decided I'm going to join there tomorrow. The YMCA is more expensive .. (surprise surprise) and I don't qualify for their financial aid .. boo .. so it's the 24 Hour Fitness for me!

Who is there isn't what's important to me .. WHY I am is the main reason. I'm not 20-something anymore .. I can't be bothered with feeling intimidated by the cute, hot bodied gals .. I wanna get in awesome shape for being 46! This is about me .. not anyone else :smile:
  • jennojenno
    jennojenno Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Another option is to ask around your local colleges and universities. I know my local one charges $300 for a year membership, but that's in NYC so I consider that cheap.
  • CarlieeBear
    CarlieeBear Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I work out at Snap Fitness and am very happy with it. Most of the people who workout there are pretty normal and I like that. They give a college student discount so I only pay about $35/month.

There's also a local one location gym in my bf's neighborhood that only charges $10/mo.

Of course, as a college student, I can use my school's gym, but find that too intimidating.