PCOS and some amazing will power! My story so far.

Options
Hey guys and gals, new to the boards and the site but used the app on and off for awhile. Figure I would step it up a notch and get social! Sit back, relax, and out on your reading glasses.

I'm 32, started at 245 lbs 3 weeks ago (weigh in every Tuesday so this will change tomorrow), 5'10, married 10 years, no kids, and absolutely loving life. But of course I wasn't always this way. I have had PCOS for about 7 to 8 years prolly longer but I never went to a doc and let me tell you it's viciouse. Insulin resistance, thyroid issues, godz the weight gain. I contribute half my weight gain on my hubby tho, because when you get married to a man that likes to cook its all over :). I have been through it all, the massive depression, the absence of drive, the mental and emotional breakdowns of being fluffy, family negativity. Yeah I have done the roller coaster of getting tired of being that way with the best intentions of doing everything about it starting tomorrow... Doesn't it seem like its always tomorrow. You know the scenarios, I'll start walking tomorrow, and it rains. Or I'll finally use that work out DVD but then you sleep wrong and something hurts the next day. It's amazing the battle we go through.

I researched for about a month before I started my program, it's a medically supervised weight loss, based off of a modified Atkins lifestyle. I say lifestyle because this is no mere diet. I am not going to go into details about the program like calories, carbs, fat ect because what may be right for me may not be right for someone else, I have the numbers in my diary but it's tweaked a bit. I will just say carbs were my enemy of choice. I have changed not only my way of eating but the way that I think about food. I used to eat out 4 days a week at some horrid fast food chain when I got off work, to make matters worse, I manage a frozen yogurt shop on the beach, you know the self serve kind with all those toppings, so 5 days a week at least I would grab a yogurt bc it was there. Yes frozen yogurt can been good for you, if you knew how to portion! Not I, I would pack it full of gummie bears and a couple of strawberries and call it a day. So that's the way I lived, no energy, ate maybe once a day at night unless it was yogurt, never breakfast, felt lethargic afterwards and the cycle continued. Sugar was my addiction, and when you are on the beach and everyone walks around in a bikini that wouldn't cover anything your body owned its hell. Until one day I was done.

I sat down with myself and had a talk. A long talk. That if I was going to shell out the money I would stick with this, if I wanted a new body I was going to work hard for it, and I was not going to let anything get in my way. I changed the way I ate over night, most people can do this but want it to be easy and it's hard, temptation is everywhere, but I had finally after so many years had enough! I sat down with my doctors, ran a blood panel, are you ready for this? High blood pressure (133/83 or something like that), high cholesterol all the bad ones and low on the good one, thyroid was haywire ( that I already knew), and high blood sugar. With a family history of diabetes I am very lucky I wasn't diabetic. EKG was great so my heart was going strong. Immune system was fab, and I didn't have to worry about smoking bc I quit cold turkey over 10 years ago. ( a price I was happy to pay when I married my hubby that has asthma). I never do drugs, or drink, maybe once a year if I did. And then we are here in the now...

After just 3 weeks I have lost 15 lbs which I know is my body cleaning the gutters and it should slow down this next weight in tomorrow. My blood pressure is 122/77 so coming down nicely and I was aggravated that day with car issues :) I feel great, tons of energy, I take a daily vitamin, calcium, and b12 when I need a boost, I am on an appetite suppressant taking it at half what the docs said I could if i needed to, and supplements after lunch and dinner. I eat 6 times a day throughout the day(my iPhone is timed with alerts to tell me everything) I plan my meals accordingly and have just started going to the gym 2 to3 times a week for 30 minutes until my stamina gets up there. People may think if they look at my diary that eating the same thing over and over again sucks, but that's just me. I'm a creature of habit and I don't mind tweaking the same meals just a touch to keep my taste buds entertained. Even the thought of going to a fast food place makes my stomach quezy, so I haven't touched those or yogurt for 3 weeks going strong ( the gummy bears still taunt me some days). Sorry for the book and if you read it I hope it helped to show you that you are not the only one out there, or gave you some motivation in some stance, keep positive in what ever you may go thru and stay strong for obstacles that get in your way. /hugs:bigsmile:

Replies

• ellemoncada
    Options
    Hello! Congrats to you and welcome back. Great story you have going on - I wish you much continued success. I agree with you entirely about eating the same thing everyday. I used to be an emotional eater and learned that I can give myself comfort by forming habits around my eating, instead of eating a cheesecake, haha. I hope to see you post again in a few more weeks with additional weight loss to report! Excellent work so far. :)
  • pinkrose99
    Options
    Well done! thank you for posting your story, I too have PCOS and i have found it very difficult losing weight but its coming off very slowly, may I take a peek at your diary to see what kind of food you are eating as I have been trying to lose weight since beginning of september and I have only managed 5lbs so far, all my family have an underactive thyroid but I have been told mine is within the normal limits. Wish you continued success.