For Runners - What do you do w/your arms?

Options
Okay this may sound strange but I was wondering what the opinions were out there about what to do with your arms when running? When I run I am having a hard time trying to find a comfortable position...high and close to the ribs, low and loose? I am trying to avoid the swinging and crossing of the chest when I run. Any thoughts or suggestions for good running posture and arm position?

Replies

• Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Mine are normally just at about a 90 degree angle by my side. I don't really "do" anything with them I guess. Good question!!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I try to keep my shoulders loose, arms tucked in fairly close and bent 90° at the elbows, gently swinging them in time with my steps in a forward motion (like you avoiding crossing the chest). One trick I learned is to keep your hands relaxed, making a fist creates tension all the way up to my shoulders. I'll also stretch them a bit if I'm feeling tight (roll the shoulders, place the palm of my hand between my shoulder blades and push downward)
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    They say that your hands should not really cross the midpoint of your body; I guess it throws your balance off and means you are working against yourself.
    I know that I like to keep my shoulders loose so I feel like my arms are swinging freely. So, every once in a while -- once every few miles or so -- I will swing my arms in circles. I just find otherwise I get tighter and tighter, and swing less and less, as I run along.
    I think that when your arms swing freely they aid your momentum. I know that when I was younger our soccer coach used to have us run with our hands on our hips, or clasped behind our bodies, with the idea that it was harder for our legs and was strengthening our legs.
    I know that when you race you can often tell that your opponent is getting fatigued when his hands come up high, like about his chest. I think serious racers watch for this. So when I run, I often try to keep my hands a little lower, usually just above my waist, but sometimes even below my waist, just to vary it.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I try to keep my shoulders loose, arms tucked in fairly close and bent 90° at the elbows, gently swinging them in time with my steps in a forward motion (like you avoiding crossing the chest). One trick I learned is to keep your hands relaxed, making a fist creates tension all the way up to my shoulders. I'll also stretch them a bit if I'm feeling tight (roll the shoulders, place the palm of my hand between my shoulder blades and push downward)

+1 You shouldn't be using up energy with your arms when you run. Keep them loose and your hands open. I had a running coach that used the analogy of pretending you were carrying crackers and you can't crush the crackers.
  • DenyseMarieL
    DenyseMarieL Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    +1 You shouldn't be using up energy with your arms when you run. Keep them loose and your hands open. I had a running coach that used the analogy of pretending you were carrying crackers and you can't crush the crackers.
    [/quote]

This is a great idea! I find myself making fists and it gets uncomfortable after a while!
  • avir8
    avir8 Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    I keep them L shape to my side but try to keep my shoulders and hands unclenched, suck in your stomach for better back support
  • DG_Allen
    DG_Allen Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I try to keep my shoulders loose and wide so my chest is expanded. This helps improve air flow into the lungs and also put your arms at the side of your body so you don't swing them past the center line. I usually read that swinging your hands past your center line is less efficient running.

About a 90 degree angle is good but as little as 45 is okay too. The Kenyans tend to keep their arms pretty high and tight and they seem to do pretty well!
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    1) be relaxed
    2) visual that your elbows are connected to your torso (to help reduce mid body swinging)
    3) thumbs up!

you don't have to do this all the time but check in every once in awhile and make an effort - it'll become more comfortable
  • Yukongil
    Yukongil Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I flail and scream...I find it helps move other runners out of my path.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I don't have a holster for my firearms so I just carry them. Doubles as hand weights, can get a nice bicep burn going on as I jog.
  • jdavison91
    Options

^^ this
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Don't TRY to find a comfortable position, don't think about what your arms are doing.

You'll probably relax into the most efficient position for yourself once you set off running and forget about it. My arms don't tend to swing all that much, and my shoulders stay quite loose, as do my hands. My arms usually angle in at 90-ish degrees at my lower ribs. It's not something I've trained myself to do, I just run that way.

If you need reassurance that your arm positioning doesn't make a blind bit of difference, watch Paula Radcliffe run any marathon she's ever ran.
  • poochen
    poochen Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I agree with keeping arms relaxed, I generally hold mine about 90 degrees, moving lightly in time with the stride
    It would help you to get a trainer to check your posture and running style, I was amazed at how much I improved when given these pointers.
    Keep core muscles braced to protect your back
    Steps light and fast,role through your foot and push off with your toes
    I am not though an expert runner ! started as charity run in May this year and I am hooked now and run (slowly) 5k three times a week
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    I find if Im cuffed or bound I run lots faster.
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    I throw my hands in the air.
    Then I wave them like I just don't care.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I try to keep my shoulders loose and wide so my chest is expanded. This helps improve air flow into the lungs and also put your arms at the side of your body so you don't swing them past the center line. I usually read that swinging your hands past your center line is less efficient running.

About a 90 degree angle is good but as little as 45 is okay too. The Kenyans tend to keep their arms pretty high and tight and they seem to do pretty well!

I agree with whatever the Kenyans are doing. They seem to be doing pretty good.
  • FabMrFox
    FabMrFox Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I like to pretent I'm a T-rexx and hold them up like claws as I run. This helps clear a path :)
  • H217
    H217 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Besides what other people have mentioned (90 degree angles and not letting your hands cross center), I heard from someone that when you swing your arms, it should be from the shoulders instead of the elbows.
  • lastchance2010
    lastchance2010 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

^^^^^exactly ^^^^^^
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options

I went to a "Good Running Form" clinic last week and this is the exact advice they gave.