Gripe about a competitive friend

Options
I posted about this a few days ago on another thread, asking for advice. Here is the response.

My flatmate insisted on cooking dinner yesterday. Pasta, tomato/garlic/sugar/onion sauce, starter (meat and dip and doritos), dessert (managed to duck out of that and have a graze box instead, at least). I said fine 'cause I knew I could portion out smaller and if I said no it would hurt her feelings, but SHE IS DRIVING ME MAD. She's trying to lose too and lately, she's turned it into a competition. So she serves it all out, knowing it's high cal, and then refuses to have any pasta herself and only has the sauce. And then she preaches about how she's not eaten anything for a whole day but goes out for vodka and sprite, and she tsks and tuts and calls me anorexic for eating smaller portions. It's kinda getting obvious, this competition...

Replies

• ohkatherinewheel
    ohkatherinewheel Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Sadly enough, my cousin is the same way. It's hilarious and saddening all at once. Anytime she's around me, she brags about how baggy her pants are, how tiny her waist is, and how light she is now even though she still weighs more than me but claims she's 120.

But then last night, she came over and watched The Walking Dead premiere and brought a whole 2 litre of regular Root Beer and drank OUT of the litre, and ate 6 cupcakes with fudge frosting. The day before, she was gulping vanilla coke and eating her daughter's Halloween candy.

The girl has actually had the gall to call me a "Fat *kitten*" before, for looking at some candy in the store after I'd been with her for 6 hours and had nothing to eat while she'd eaten leftover Taco Bell and cookies. I started losing weight before she did, and she's turned it into a competition. It has totally left me in a horrible state of mind. Weight-loss should not be a competition. She spent most of our lives being the thin one and I was extremely overweight, but as soon as it shifted and I lost weight and she gained... Well, that's what it turned into. I feel dreadful anytime I'm around her. I'm so sorry you're dealing with that, it's awful.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    if she wants to treat it like a competition then let her.

that doesnt mean that you have to. just do what you'd normally do and if she wants to bring up the competition i'd just laugh at her and tell her i wasnt competing but she's welcome to continue if that's what floats her baot
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    That sounds highly annoying.... But just keep eating healthy. Soon she will be too weak from lack of proper nutrition to get the exercise she needs. Next time she offers to cook do extra exercise so you have enough calories to stuff your face in front of her.
    It takes two to tango, maybe she will eventually tone it it down of you just do your own thing and try to ignore her.... Maybe.
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    Well, sometimes we do need to reduce the time we spend with toxic people. Or even eliminate them from our lives.

Or you could simply just change the way you react to them. We don't have power over other people but we do have power over our actions/reactions.
  • andriaxo26
    Options
    Well, sometimes we do need to reduce the time we spend with toxic people. Or even eliminate them from our lives.

Or you could simply just change the way you react to them. We don't have power over other people but we do have power over our actions/reactions.
    I'm definitely finding that ridding my life of a few insanely toxic people is making my weight loss that much easier and more enjoyable! The ones you can't kick on the other hand - just smile and ignore them. It drives them crazy!
  • strawberrytoast
    strawberrytoast Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Tell them they are being an *kitten* and your in it together! dont beat about the bush