Home workouts.. planning ahead.. need new ideas

Options
I've just started doing Kathy Smith's kickboxing workout and I am also doing her Lift Weights To Lose Weight. I also try to go on a day hike at least twice a month, but the season for that is coming to an end, unfortunately.

I know Kathy Smith isn't today's guru, she was popular in the late 1990s, but I like her because she reminds me of my best friend, whom I have not seen for a long time.

But I know that eventually I'm going to hit a plateau with this workout and I'm going to need something more intense. Please don't suggest Insanity or Jillian Michaels, because with my back surgery those are dangerous for me to do. Does anyone know of any decent DVD workouts that are moderate to high intensity that would be safe for someone with prior back surgery?

I also wouldn't mind a good yoga workout to try if anyone knows one?

Replies

• KFilthy
    KFilthy Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Try Cassey Ho (Blogilates) or Tiffany Rothe Workouts. I use their Youtube videos every day!
  • Debbiedebbiey
    Debbiedebbiey Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I'm looking for my Leslie Sansone walking DVD tonite. Gonna put it in the DVD player & sit out my shoes next to the remote. I have a bad neck, it's better than nothing. I've been hiking outdoors all summer. Just started a new job & haven't done anything for 3wks!!! Hopefully I'll get it all together tomorrow !
  • wllibera
    Options
    i do Chris Freytag yoga. Surprisingly it gets your heart going as well as stretching> Lots of choices on demand in my area for yoga and other types of exercise. Makes it easy to switch it up and try to find one that suits your needs. Good luck.
  • Stepf20
    Options
    I've used jillian michaels kickboxing workouts. They kick my butt in 20 minutes more then an hour at the gym will. I saw results in 2 weeks and it got me over that plateau.
  • Rhia55
    Rhia55 Posts: 247
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions! Since I'm liking the kickboxing I might try the Jillian Michaels one after I'm done with Kathy Smith.. or maybe Taebo.. I wish I could do Insanity but I can't take the risk of injury without medical insurance.
  • ConstanceMarieRuff
    ConstanceMarieRuff Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I was reading through and I came across your post. I was wondering, what do you log these videos as?
  • Rynatat
    Rynatat Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I have a few fav FIRM DVD's that kick my butt (add ankle/wrist weights & up my dumbbell weights). Search Amazon - there are TONS on there for not a lot of $$. Some recommendations for when I really need a fix & can't get to the gym:

The FIRM: Get Chisel'd, Total Body Time Crunch, Burn & Shape and Calorie Explosion (4-12min workouts that KICK your butt!)
    Cathe Friedrich - KickMax (kickboxing, full workout is also broken down into segments for low impacts & full-on bootcamp style)
    GAIAM Ab Pilates Workout.
    Scott Cole T'ai Chi for Weightloss (or his AM/PM T'ai Chi is fantastic)

As for how I log them - I used to use an HRM (before I sweated it to death!), average burn on the workouts is around 300 cals per 30 mins (except Pilates, only around 100 or so).