Thoughts on protein shakes

Options
Lake_Po
Lake_Po Posts: 228 Member
Hey everyone. I'm still kind of new to this world of actually exercising and am hearing a lot of hullabaloo about protein shakes. What are some goods brands and flavors and how do you all feel about them in general? Are they good? How do you make them good? When and how do you use them?

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Carnivor Chocolate beef protein isolate. Two scoops, 16 oz. water, blender bottle, shake the piss out of it. 248 calories, 48g protein, 16g carbs (none of which is sugar), 0g fat, a lot of B vitamins, and a pretty good amount of creatine (which occurs naturally in beef anyway).

It's not cheap, but it's the best one I've used thus far.
  • Lake_Po
    Lake_Po Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Beef?! ugh, that sounds frightening. Do you use it after you exercise or first thing in the morning or does it matter?
  • amysaenz24
    amysaenz24 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    You may have to try out diff ones before you find one you like. just look around at your local grocery store, or healthy food store. i just picked up EAS brand, vanilla flavored. its not bad. i put one scoop, with banana, almond milk, yogurt. and its actually taste like a vanilla shake.
  • acuratlsd
    acuratlsd Posts: 228
    Options
    I use the Monster Milk Lean...

The chocolate is not too bad when mixed with water.

two scoops and it has 50 grams of protein minus the beef
  • Mako_33
    Mako_33 Posts: 42
    Options
    I use Body Science Hydroxyburn, 1 scoop with water 20min before I train and 2 scoops up to 20min after a session. Tastes ok but it took me a while to find one I liked so just try them.
  • SammyKatt13
    SammyKatt13 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    http://www.amazon.com/CytoSport-makers-Muscle-Milk-Chocolate/dp/B003U0FFCU

Only I buy it at Costco for $48.00

Put a scoop in a blender with 8 oz of milk and ice... blend!

I have it as my breakfast every morning. Taste like a milkshake.
  • opus649
    opus649 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Gold Standard, Extreme Milk Chocolate + 1 cup of milk, shake vigorously for 30 seconds... delicious.
  • EndlessSacrifice
    Options
    Personally, I feel that it is much healthier to get protein from natural sources such as lean meats, nuts, and dairy. However, I do have a protein shake every so often if my protein is lacking.
  • Crayvn
    Crayvn Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    some nutrition and/or vitamin stores will have sampe packs of the powders..just have to ask :)
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    Beef?! ugh, that sounds frightening. Do you use it after you exercise or first thing in the morning or does it matter?

It's made from beef protein, it doesn't taste like beef. ;)

I tend to throw one down the hatch post workout. Also, I will occasionally have a day where I consume nothing but protein shakes. No real reason, other than I just don't feel like eating anything solid that day.
  • TinGirl314
    TinGirl314 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    EAS Myoplex...I buy the premade shakes...the powders I've seen have something like 19g of protein...this sucker has 42. 20 carbs, 300 calories. The main ingredients are:
    Water
    Milk protein concentrate
    Pea Protein
    Coco Powder.

It's my favorite, and what I turn to when I don't feel like eating real food, or after lifting because I'm trying to retain muscle. :)
  • keina629
    keina629 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I've never tried protein shakes but would love to know what the benefits are of taking it!
  • haley0h
    haley0h Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I do Herbalife Protein shakes. and i LOVE THEM. So far i have lost 20.6 lbs and i am always full, have 1 to 2 protein shakes a day in place of meals, two snacks and 1 meal up to 600 cals. i aim for 95 g of protein a day, and some comes from the shake, but a lot of it comes from nuts, cheese, eggs, yogurt, chicken, fish, etc. i also just try and eat clean, and work out when able too!
  • JoeLemke
    JoeLemke Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    my favorite, and this tastes just like a wendy's frosty, is the vanilla ice cream whey protein, 2 scoops, with 2 table spns of peanut butter, 2 table spoons of hershey sugar free chocolate syrup, 10 cubes of ice, and 1/2 cup of water blended in a blender.. makes a awesome breakfast each morning.. and i am not a breakfast person.
  • haley0h
    haley0h Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    OH and the shakes aren't just focused on protein, they have TONS of vitamins in it, and the way the powder is made, the protein is easily absorbable and is safe and you're not just putting a bunch of chemicals in your body. :)
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    EAS Myoplex...I buy the premade shakes...the powders I've seen have something like 19g of protein...this sucker has 42. 20 carbs, 300 calories. The main ingredients are:
    Water
    Milk protein concentrate
    Pea Protein
    Coco Powder.

It's my favorite, and what I turn to when I don't feel like eating real food, or after lifting because I'm trying to retain muscle. :)

You do realize that that garbage is loaded with sugar, and generally used as a bulking shake, right?
  • reenielovesthebeach
    Options
    I just started doing a protein shake called Protein Synthesis. It's 34 grams of protein- takes 1 scoop and mix it with 4 oz water- only 160 calories and is chocolate flavored. It's actually pretty good. I drink one first thing in the morning and one at bedtime. I'm aiming for as close to 120 grams of protein per day as I can get. Supposedly a lot of protein sends signals to your brain that you are full and it has other benefits as well. I am working out four to five days per week, rotating days of resistence and cardio and taking off two days to rest. I have cut my calories back too. I've lost 34 pounds since the beginning of August and I'm half way to my goal. I hope to have the rest of my weight off by Spring and to be more toned. I'm no pro at any of this. I'm not trying to be skinny- just shape up and get healthier. I was on high bp medicine two months ago and have since stopped taking it. My bp is great now. I will have to see how the whole protein thing works out for me...
  • DJ2120
    DJ2120 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I did them for a few months. But they made me gassy & bloated constantly so I stopped drinking them last week & I feel so much better. I try to just get my protein from natural sources.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    I normally buy a big ol' tub of powder - whatever's on sale - and just kinda deal with it. Mix with water and go. But I have found that if I do 8 oz of soy milk and a half scoop of powder, that makes a really rich, creamy shake. Currently I'm using Body Fortress. I have chocolate and vanilla.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    I do protein shakes because I lift weights. I've pretty much bought nothing but Jay Robb because it's unjunked and delicious. The chocolate smells like a bag of brownie mix.