Thoughts on protein shakes

Options

Replies

• Dragonldy69
    Dragonldy69 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Shakeology has a great Protien shake.. It has everything in it you need for a balance shake.. They have chocolate,Tropical Strawberry and Greenberry..They even have Vegan Chocolate and Strawberry Shakeology.. It can be mixed with water ,juice or even milk..
    It is good stuff.. They have Challenges as well you can do that come with a bag of Shakeology,..

Kathy :drinker:
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone. I'm still kind of new to this world of actually exercising and am hearing a lot of hullabaloo about protein shakes. What are some goods brands and flavors and how do you all feel about them in general? Are they good? How do you make them good? When and how do you use them?

I don't use any. I seem to get enough protein from meat, poultry, fish, and dairy. Adding protein powder for me would just be adding necessary calories. I find they are more expensive than real food and sometimes hard to digest. But some people love them and seem to need the protein. BTW you do not need extra protein, just enough protein, even if you lift heavy weights. I suppose the guys might have a different take, but most of the lean yet buff guys I know don't really need "extra", just enough. Extra just means too many calories.
  • alienelyssa21
    Options
    I use lean shakes from GNC, the swiss chocolate is pretty good if you use milk and some peanut butter, its like 140 calories with 18 grams of protein.
  • anodas
    anodas Posts: 4
    Options
    My daughter is a typeI diabetic with brittle scores. She has been using Vi-salus now for a little over a month. Her blood sugars are so much better, she is losing weigh without losing the muscle, and all the ingredients are natural. The mix tastes like vanilla cake batter, The shakes are wonderful!!
  • eatcleanNtraindirty
    eatcleanNtraindirty Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I just started doing a protein shake called Protein Synthesis. It's 34 grams of protein- mix with 4 oz water- only 160 calories and chocolate flavored. It's actually pretty good. I drink one first thing in the morning and one at bedtime. I'm aiming for as close to 120 grams of protein per day as I can get. I am working out four to five days per week, rotating days of resistence and cardio and taking off two days to rest. I have cut my calories back too. Will have to see how the whole protein thing works out for me...

Or is it called Protein Evolution by Intek? In a green container? It has 160 calories with 34g protein too...

Lean Active 7 by Nutracore Nutrition and Protein Evolution by Intek are my favorites. They both have flavors that taste awesome! I'm a big chocolate fan and like Lean Active 7 chocolate a lot better. They both have 1g Carb, no sugar, 1 gram of fat. Lean Active 7 has 30g protein per scoop and Evolution has 34g protein.
    Both have 7 different types of proteins with whey isolate being the main ingredient in each so it makes them good for after workouts, and they both have egg and casein proteins which are time release type of proteins so they are also good for snacks, meals, or before bed... I love having a clean and lean protein shake for desert before bed... it's the fat kid in me.
  • reenielovesthebeach
    Options
    Mine is in a big red jug.
  • Julesjhj
    Julesjhj Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Try About Time Whey protein powder. It's my favorite and mixes really easy with water...no clumps.

My favorite blend is a scoop of chcocolate powder mixed with black coffee, splash of skim milk, 1/4 of a banana, dollop of nut butter, ice..then blend. It turns in to a mocha peanut butter banana shake. Low calorie, low fat and delish. If I want or need more calories I can add more nut butter, fruit etc... I use as a meal replacement, after a work out or when I want dessert in the evening. It is not cheap but there are only four ingredients in the powder, 25mg of protein and no artificial ingredients or sweetners.

http://tryabouttime.com/
  • TinGirl314
    TinGirl314 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    EAS Myoplex...I buy the premade shakes...the powders I've seen have something like 19g of protein...this sucker has 42. 20 carbs, 300 calories. The main ingredients are:
    Water
    Milk protein concentrate
    Pea Protein
    Coco Powder.

It's my favorite, and what I turn to when I don't feel like eating real food, or after lifting because I'm trying to retain muscle. :)

You do realize that that garbage is loaded with sugar, and generally used as a bulking shake, right?

I'm trying to build muscle.
    And I have boobs and ovaries, so I doubt I will 'bulk', also it has 1 gram of sugar per the nutrition label.
    If I need opinions I will ask. :)
  • babegyrl06
    Options
    Hey I'm in a nutrition science class at UMD and my teacher mentioned that with protein your body can only store so much. It would be a good idea to find out how much you normally consume through food and figure out if you actually need more. Any excess protein is excrete in your urine. I'm learning that a lot of supplements are unnecessary as you can get it easily from food. Also they supplement form doesn't absorb as well as food sources.
  • fitinyoga14
    fitinyoga14 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes contain HUGE servings of protein, so be careful with portioning! Remember that protein shakes are SUPPLEMENTS as opposed to FOOD. That being said, food should be your first way to get your sources of protein. If you fail to meet your recommended daily amount from the foods you eat alone, then it is safe to supplement. If you are an active person, it is safe to have one gram of protein per kilogram of body weight per day. (1.5 grams per kg of body weight for athletes.)
  • Lake_Po
    Lake_Po Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    So, if I tend to go over on protein (which I do, almost everyday) should I probably stay away from shakes since I don't do a lot of heavy lifting strength training? Also, if I'm going over on something, is it harmful to me for it to be protein (as opposed to carbs or fat or calories)? I seem to fall okay on everything usually, but protein will be high.
  • ssteinbring677
    ssteinbring677 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I don't buy anything special...usually I just throw 2 tbsp crunchy peanut butter, 1 medium sized banana, a cup of almond milk, and some ice in a blender and viola! Lots of protein and it tastes delicious.
  • reenielovesthebeach
    Options
    I would still do a protein shake, even if you are over some. Protein helps you stay full longer. To get the max results from it, you can have up to 120 grams per day. It has many benefits- just depends on who you talk to. Everyone has different takes on it. Protein makes your body burn fat, not muscle. They say you should drink one right after you wake up and one after you work out or if you get up in the middle of the night craving something to eat. I'm aiming for two per day- 68 grams from the two shakes and the rest from my food. I eat fish, nuts, cheese, greek yogurt, cottage cheese, peanut butter and drink a little milk. It is included in my calories for the day. They say the only people who shouldn't do high protein are those who have kidney issues.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    EAS Myoplex...I buy the premade shakes...the powders I've seen have something like 19g of protein...this sucker has 42. 20 carbs, 300 calories. The main ingredients are:
    Water
    Milk protein concentrate
    Pea Protein
    Coco Powder.

It's my favorite, and what I turn to when I don't feel like eating real food, or after lifting because I'm trying to retain muscle. :)

You do realize that that garbage is loaded with sugar, and generally used as a bulking shake, right?

And I have boobs and ovaries, so I doubt I will 'bulk', also it has 1 gram of sugar per the nutrition label.

Fair enough, and I also realized that I misread your post. Lol. The milk pro shakes by them aren't that bad. I was thinking that god awful Soy protein powder crap they sell.
  • TinGirl314
    TinGirl314 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Water
    Milk protein concentrate
    Pea Protein
    Coco Powder.

Fair enough, and I also realized that I misread your post. Lol. The milk pro shakes by them aren't that bad. I was thinking that god awful Soy protein powder crap they sell.

Gotcha :) No harm no foul. Protein shakes are good times!
  • deniseblossoms
    deniseblossoms Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I like designer whey around 100 calories and 18 grams protein a scoop, low in carbs and sugar.

I blend mine with some frozen banana and just got turned onto that blue diamond almond coconut milk. So Good.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    Thought I'd pipe up for my favorite, Syntrax Nectar. 23g protein, 100 calories, 0 sugar, 0 fat, 0 carbs. I'm currently drinking the "fuzzy navel" which is sort of orangey/peachy tasting. Mixes great with water (tastes kind of like orange juice) in a plastic cup I shake up.

I was mostly looking for a protein shake that had a good calorie to protein ratio, but I'm happy someone recommended it to me a couple years ago so just want to point it out as an option for somebody who might be looking for the same thing.

*edited to fix nutritional values that I typo'd
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    If / when I do a protein shake, I just use plain non-fat Greek yogurt. The brand I use has 23g protein for a cup. I blend it up with a frozen banana or some other frozen fruit, 1/2 cup of unsweetened almond milk and maybe some peanut butter if I want. Good stuff. :) I also liked the Optimum Nutrition's natural whey powder in vanilla.
  • annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I first tried protein shakes before weight loss surgery. Even if you have not had or do not plan on a surgery (or don't need it,) Bariatric Advantage makes AWESOME protein shakes. 160 calories, 8 carbohydrates, and 27 grams of protein. They mix smoothly in a shaker cup and have great flavors like Orange Cream, Chocolate, Strawberry, Vanilla, and Mocha. You can get them online. One bag lasted 3 months, with 2 shakes a day. I would never use any other brand. The orange tastes like a dreamsicle.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone. I'm still kind of new to this world of actually exercising and am hearing a lot of hullabaloo about protein shakes. What are some goods brands and flavors and how do you all feel about them in general? Are they good? How do you make them good? When and how do you use them?

I bought Sixstar Whey Protein isolate. I did a lot of research and this is considered a good supplement at 83% protein that provides 60g protein per serving and 4g carb. it is $20 and at most pharmacy-type stores. It is quick-absorbing protein which is why it is good for after a workout for muscle recovery.

whatever one you buy, make sure the first ingredient says protein ISOLATE and not protein mix or protein blend. Whey protein comes from milk.

The other protein I read about is casein protein - same rules apply but this protein absorbs slower helping you feel full longer.