Need some exercise tips

Options
I had laproscopic surgery on my left knee (the doctor said my cartiledge was a crumbly mess!). Today, I finally got brave enough to get some exercise. I walked 1 mile before the knee started to give out. Besides walking, what types of exercises can I do? I can't do squats or any kind of kneeling. I really want to get rid of these big arms........but can't do push-ups (knees might hit the floor). Could I do push-ups against the wall or something? I'm really at a loss here!

Replies

• jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I think push ups on the wall are effective to a point - can you weight bear on that knee? If you can, "girl" push ups are good too.

You can also do various upper body weight workouts. I use circuit machines but hear that free weights (if you know what to do) are better.

Also, dips are perfect for the back of your arms...if you have something high enough there is no risk to your knees. try youtube?
  • bkwhit1964
    Options
    goggle it there are tons of stuff you can find exercise
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I had laproscopic surgery on my left knee (the doctor said my cartiledge was a crumbly mess!). Today, I finally got brave enough to get some exercise. I walked 1 mile before the knee started to give out. Besides walking, what types of exercises can I do? I can't do squats or any kind of kneeling. I really want to get rid of these big arms........but can't do push-ups (knees might hit the floor). Could I do push-ups against the wall or something? I'm really at a loss here!

This is tough. Does your doctor have you seeing a physical therapist? I've found when recovering from injuries and such that my physical therapist was the best for giving you the exercises for your given situation.
  • helengetshealthy
    helengetshealthy Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Walking 1 mile is a good start, and it's good that you know what your limits are right now - as you lose weight though, you'll be able to handle more. Maybe go on Youtube and look at Leslie Sansone's workouts, they are low-impact (easy on the joints!) and people have found them to be really effective. If you are looking to work our arms, get a good pair of hand weights - or even start off with water bottles or food cans - and use them to do some exercises like bicep curls, front/shoulder/lateral raises... again, Youtube is full of videos with instructions on how to do these exercises properly. I recommend Scooby's channel http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFSpTUQunLE he's funny and informative. The exercises will help you burn fat, not bulk up - that would take loads of protein shakes and stuff like that to build up!
  • clicker_70
    Options

This is tough. Does your doctor have you seeing a physical therapist? I've found when recovering from injuries and such that my physical therapist was the best for giving you the exercises for your given situation.

I've "finished" my physical therapy, and you're right........he did give me some exercises. But, only exercises to strengthen my knee.
  • romajo
    romajo Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I like to use punches for cardio when I have lower body injuries. You can get your heart rate up and if you add weights it's good for toning your arms too. Just stand with knees slightly bent and punch across your body.
  • deniselynn13
    deniselynn13 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I went through a similar situation, except i broke my leg and ankle and had three surgeries on it. I, like you, couldn't do a lot of high impact or strenuous work to start. I bought the hand pedals while i was still recovering (looks like a little bike for your hands). That helped work my arms and get my heart rate up a little. I eventually began using the pedals as a bike with my legs. Check with your doc and see if you can do the recumbant bike. I was able to do that - non impact and very good for you. I did TONS of upper body and abdominal exercises as well. I used free weights and bands. I did everything i normally would have, just while sitting!! You should be able to step up to the elliptical after the bike as it to is low impact.

Be sure to use the exercises your PT gave you. As dumb as some of them seemed, they helped me immensely!!!

Good luck and heal quick!!!!
  • twelker878
    twelker878 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    heres a good one. There are lots of them on u tube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xyDY60_s-g
  • shauna121211
    shauna121211 Posts: 575 Member
    Options

I've "finished" my physical therapy, and you're right........he did give me some exercises. But, only exercises to strengthen my knee.

If you don't think you are ready to be finished seeing your physical therapist, you should talk to them about extending your session. I went to physical therapy for months after my arthroscopic knee surgery to repair my completely torn ACL and 2 tears in my medical meniscus. At the time I was also doing the exercises he gave me on my own and swimming. They are different quite different injuries, but they are still injuries to your knee and I think you're right to be a little wary of doing things that hurt your knee. A lot of my recovery included balance and biking on a stationary bike, but there is a lot more you can do.

If you can swim, I would. Swimming is a fantastic way to get back into exercise after any sort of injury. In fact, it's a great exercise for anyone any time of the year. It will definitely help you tone your arms as well as work your back, stomach & legs.

Also, your knee shouldn't prevent you from lifting weights! If you have a gym membership, use the different weight machines and free weights to work your chest, shoulders, biceps, triceps, back... etc. If you don't have a gym membership, get yourself a weight set!
  • StrengthInPain
    StrengthInPain Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    not knowing the extent of damage to the cartilage, i think your best bet besides walking would be riding a bike, especially a stationary one that you can put on a low resistance and work your way up. If you find that you can do it for 15 minutes the first day, then aim to increase it by 1 minute each session. also, if after a workout it's painful, try some ice to reduce inflammation to the joint.

continue to do the exercises that your PT prescribed. if they start getting too easy, you can "hold" the end of the range, or you can start to add reps or ankle weights.

also, before you try pushups or anything that might strain your back, ( i briefly scanned your profile and you mentioned back pain) you should work on your abdominal muscles. Look up "posterior pelvic tilts". Once you're able to hold a posterior pelvic tilt for 5 seconds for 3 sets of 10, you can start making them harder in a lot of ways, like sliding your heel back and forth, moving your arms up and down, and rotating your legs from side to side, all while holding that pelvic tilt.

if you need any other idea feel free to message me.

EDIT: and yes, i have to agree with the above poster. SWIMMING IS GREAT CARDIO FOR PEOPLE WITH KNEE INJURIES!
  • trigger2354
    trigger2354 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Get a bike. My bike has become my best buddy and is now in my will. I have knees that have been abused and repaired over the years, and they get their revenge any time I engage in any kind of impact activity. Last January my sis asked me join her in a 100-mile bike ride scheduled for June of this year. I told her I would give it shot, but I was very doubtful (Not only are my knees shot, but I'm 58 to boot). I bought a bike and trained very hard to get in shape, expecting my knees would once again rebel. To my complete and utter amazement, I only experienced occasional, minor knee pain, and most of that was cured by tweaking various bike settings (seat and foot position, primarily). I was able to complete the 100-mile ride, and have since logged over 1000 miles of riding without significant pain. And I've lost 11 pounds to boot.

But the most surprising gift was bestowed in August when my son and I completed a 30-mile backpacking trip to King's Peak, the highest point in Utah (13,528 ft.) I had given up backpacking, an activity a dearly love, when on a trip four years ago, both knees gave out and, in an instant, I became a rather serious problem for the group I was with. We eventually made it back to civilization, but I hated the feeling of being a burden and a risk, so I decided it was time to hang up my boots. But King's Peak has been on my bucket list for a long time, and I felt like maybe all the miles logged on the bike had strengthened my knee to the point I could give it a shot. I loaded up my backpack and knocked off several short 3-5 mile solo hikes in the mountains close to my house to see how things went. No pain. Yee haw!! It was enough to reassure me and my son that I could make it, so off we went. The hike consists of a pretty mellow 14-mile approach, then the last mile to the summit is a steep, unrelenting ascent up the boulder field from hell. All the way up I'm thinking I'd made a mistake. Going up wasn't the problem--coming down that heap of rocks, I feared, was going to turn both knees into screaming masses of retributive Jello. I'm very, very happy to report that my knees held up just fine, thank you very much.

So consider getting a bike and start logging the miles. If your knee doesn't bother you, keep riding, and who knows, maybe in time your knee will allow you try other activities that may now be out of reach.
  • CarrieStL
    CarrieStL Posts: 162 Member
    Options

I am still healing from a mid-summer cartilage tear in my knee. The worst thing that you can do is STOP exercising. That being said, you have at least a month before you can even THINK about doing anything even remotely strenuous.

Pool work and biking worked well for me. I did a lot of ab and arm work late summer. 3 months later I STILL wear a brace when exercising. I still get inflammation though am OFF my antinflammatories, thank goodness, as they wrecked my sleep.

Oddly enough - continuing to do squats and lunges helped me tremendously as it strengthens the knee. My orthopedist told me if ANYTHING- DO NOT STOP EXERCISING. Just do it in the smart way. I have learned to listen to my knee. WHen it strains- I stop. I still ice and elevate numerous times per day. Push it, but pull back when it tells you to stop.

So sorry. It sucks! Totally understand...
  • clicker_70
    Options
    I appreciate all of the advice!!! Will be doing some arm work before I go to bed! lol
  • shauna121211
    shauna121211 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Also, if lap swimming isn't for you, I think water aerobics would be a great fit for you as well. If you have a local YMCA or pool around, I would definitely inquire. I used to be an instructor at the local YMCA and you can definitely get a lot out if you put a lot in! They also usually have a daytime session and evening session so there would be a few options to work around what sounds like a pretty busy schedule!
  • clicker_70
    Options
    Also, if lap swimming isn't for you, I think water aerobics would be a great fit for you as well. If you have a local YMCA or pool around, I would definitely inquire. I used to be an instructor at the local YMCA and you can definitely get a lot out if you put a lot in! They also usually have a daytime session and evening session so there would be a few options to work around what sounds like a pretty busy schedule!

I would love to do some swimming or water aerobics...........but this small town doesn't have a public pool after summer. No YMCA......our local college even recently closed their pool to the public.
  • mccbabe1
    mccbabe1 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    water water water... water exercise.. way less impact for your legs.. and still a great arm workout too
    i recently took a water aerobics class was great!
  • mccbabe1
    mccbabe1 Posts: 737 Member
    Options

I would love to do some swimming or water aerobics...........but this small town doesn't have a public pool after summer. No YMCA......our local college even recently closed their pool to the public.

oh just saw this.. that sux! a friends pool? Lol
  • clicker_70
    Options

I am still healing from a mid-summer cartilage tear in my knee. The worst thing that you can do is STOP exercising. That being said, you have at least a month before you can even THINK about doing anything even remotely strenuous.

Pool work and biking worked well for me. I did a lot of ab and arm work late summer. 3 months later I STILL wear a brace when exercising. I still get inflammation though am OFF my antinflammatories, thank goodness, as they wrecked my sleep.

Oddly enough - continuing to do squats and lunges helped me tremendously as it strengthens the knee. My orthopedist told me if ANYTHING- DO NOT STOP EXERCISING. Just do it in the smart way. I have learned to listen to my knee. WHen it strains- I stop. I still ice and elevate numerous times per day. Push it, but pull back when it tells you to stop.

I squated down to sit on a stepstool.....and had to have help up! As for biking. I got a bike for my 40th birthday (I'm 42 now), I managed to ride it ONE mile. My legs hurt and were trembling. I don't get it. Maybe I had it in the wrong gear or something.

I did do the arm work tonight, and plan to try walking again tomorrow.
  • trigger2354
    trigger2354 Posts: 25 Member
    Options

I squated down to sit on a stepstool.....and had to have help up! As for biking. I got a bike for my 40th birthday (I'm 42 now), I managed to ride it ONE mile. My legs hurt and were trembling. I don't get it. Maybe I had it in the wrong gear or something.

• CarrieStL
    CarrieStL Posts: 162 Member
    Options

Oddly enough - continuing to do squats and lunges helped me tremendously as it strengthens the knee.

My orthopedist told me if ANYTHING- DO NOT STOP EXERCISING. Just do it in the smart way. I have learned to listen to my knee. When it strains- I stop. I still ice and elevate numerous times per day. Push it, but pull back when it tells you to stop.

2.5 months ago- I couldn't put ANY weight on my knee. I went from working out 9 hours a week to almost ZERO for 2-3 weeks and then up to MAYBE 1-2 hrs a week while I was healing. Stepstool- I would have had to be airlifted. Seriously. I get it.

It feels like you have miles to go- I so know. A little bit everyday and you WILL get stronger. You just have to do it every day. Don't go all the way down to a stepstool! ;) 5 small squats at a time- next time 6 and so on. Don't be afraid to push it a little more every day as you can tolerate it. Figure out what motions work for you. I still can't lunge forward but CAN lunge back- so that's what I focus on.

My orthopedist made it very clear to me that it is almost impossible to 100% rid yourself of knee issues once you have them. It tends to last, in some form or another, for those who experience a trauma/injury. The stronger you can make that the joint and muscles around it, however, the more support that knee will have! The less hard it has to work. I have seen it in myself.

Work it as you start to feel better and pull back when it aches. Ice, motrin, elevate. In the meantime, don't beat yourself up for taking the rest as needed. Part of the process. Hang in there. I get the frustration- truly do.

PS- GET A GOOD KNEE BRACE FOR EXERCISE! It give support. This is my fav: http://www.acebrand.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/AceBrand/Home/Products/Catalog/?PC_7_RJH9U523007440I2J5O2R30225000000_nid=LPMZ5CKBF2gs11640DJ385glJFXW6PTKB2bl

I cannot and DO NOT exercise without it EVER.