Carbs are not my friends...

Options
My weakness is chips and ramen noodles. Both are quick and tasty. I need a fast and tasy replacement. Any suggestions?

Replies

• Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Broaden your horizons. There are so many great foods. Were you looking for carb suggestions or just food in general?
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Did you just say chips, Ramen noodles and tasty in the same thought? Are you a college student, or just heavily intoxicated/stoned? O_o

Just fry up a pound of lean ground beef or turkey, drain the grease from it, dump some Sriracha on it, and enjoy. Extremely fast, and very protein heavy.
  • TwilightGirl39
    Options
    Gallowmere... I am neither. I don't come here for rude comments. I was asking a question and wanted some suggestions not rudeness.I thought this was a support group not an attack group!

And I do eat more than noodles... I just have so much going on that I dont take the time to cook so I grab fast fixes and those fast fixes have taken their toll.
  • Rimroses
    Rimroses Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I don't know what the carbs look like, as I am not really counting carbs, but I eat Oatmeal about once a day and it is very filling, fast, tasty, and good for you! :-) Hope that helps!
  • Arthemise1
    Arthemise1 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Mmm, chips and pasta! I can't do carbs much either because they make me so hungry. Try a small amount of sunflower seeds or nuts. I also like pork rinds -- very chip-like (I'm in the camp that says fat and protein are better for you than carbs).
  • sugboog29
    sugboog29 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    Special K cracker chips! The sour cream and onion are great! They have replaced chips for me! And I understand...carbs are not my friends either. Try pretzel crisps too...yummmy!
  • Danilynn1975
    Danilynn1975 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    quick fix....

spaghetti squash, baked after slicing length wise, scoop out the center goop. lay face down on cookie sheet 375 oven 30 minutes.
    2 Cups is about one of the halves and is 84 cals. season with salt, pepper, parsley, garlic. maybe throw in a a bit of avacado.

another quick fix is the seasoned packages of tuna wrapped in a tortilla, with lettuce, a teaspoon of parm cheese from the bottle that typically goes on pasta dishes.

sweet potato chips: slice a small sweet potato with the skin on as super thin as you can get it. lay on cookie sheet single layer sprayed with pam lightly. sea salt them, bake about 35-40 minutes in 375 oven. can also cinanmon them with a smidge, less than 1 tsp brown sugar for a kick.

a mashed banana mixed with hershey's cocoa powder use a lot for dark chocolate, a little for lighter chocolate. dash a teaspoon of honey into it, freeze until firm. makes a good treat with no guilt.
  • DesignGrrl
    DesignGrrl Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Scrambled egg whites have been a real go-to for me... lots of protein to keep me full!
  • snafuing1
    snafuing1 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I totally know where you're coming from... I am addicted to chips and french fries. To replace that "snacky" feeling, I eat high protein/fiber, low calories substitutes like edamame, carrots/celery and hummus, pistachios and peanuts (in the shell, so it takes more time to eat them and feels more like a snack), smoked salmon, etc. Trader joe's has this product called "skinny fries" that is like puffy french fries (tastes like a french fry, texture of a cheeto basically) that is amazing for snacking, though it is all carbs and fat, no protein. I also will make guacamole with one small avocado and then try to load up each chip with as much as possible, so I only end up eating a few chips.

Hope this helps...
  • shadoewz
    Options
    Almonds, Pecans, Walnuts, lots of fresh veggies and fruits, hard boiled eggs (make a bunch all at once, they last a long time), cheese or yogurt (if you eat dairy), and if you are very short on time (or just hate cooking) you can get canned meats/fishes.
  • juliaamilee
    juliaamilee Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    chips are my weakness to love them!! Although the ramen noodles are not a fav choice what about stir fry with them? less noodles and more veggies.
  • Rimroses
    Rimroses Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I love scrambled eggs, and if I eat them hardboiled I only like the whites, but there was something off about scrambled egg whites only. I usually leave one yolk in and just the white of the other egg. I can't put my finger on what was wrong with it, but it just didn't do it for me :-( But I LOVE some hardboiled egg whites! :-)
  • TwilightGirl39
    Options
    I think I will try some oatmeal. I tried it years ago and hated it..what flavor do you recommend for someone who is not big on oatmeal?
  • momof4greatkids1
    momof4greatkids1 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    It sounds like with a little pre-planning you could have some quick and tasty food choices on hand that would e so much more satisfying and healthy with very little effort. Baby carrots are crunchy healthy and quick, and good carbs. Quinoa is a good carb with some protein, very easy to prepare and can be used in a variety of ways. Try to pair a protein w/your carb choice and you will have greater satiety and better control of your appetite.

Have you ever seen Michi's ladder?

http://www.focused-on-fitness.com/nutrition/michis-ladder.php

this can be a real simple guide for basic food choices that you can eat alone or combine. Use it for your shopping list. It will give you an idea of the relative nutritional value of your food choices in a really simple, easy to understand manner.

My weakness is chips and ramen noodles. Both are quick and tasty. I need a fast and tasy replacement. Any suggestions?
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Gallowmere... I am neither. I don't come here for rude comments. I was asking a question and wanted some suggestions not rudeness.I thought this was a support group not an attack group!

And I do eat more than noodles... I just have so much going on that I dont take the time to cook so I grab fast fixes and those fast fixes have taken their toll.

Hmm, it appears that you are also in need of a humor injection, as well as dietary advice. That said, I wish you luck, and hopefully you can find something a bit better for you that fits into your scheduling.
  • TwilightGirl39
    Options
    Yep, I can totally relate. Eggs without the yolks seem a bit odd. But using the yolk of one instead of two sounds like a good idea. Thanks
  • toomanycurves
    toomanycurves Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Lentils. You read right. I go to Trader Joe's and buy precooked, refrigerated lentils. They're nutty (in the taste sense!) and wonderfully filling. Just separate them with a fork and add a good balsamic vinegar and some extra virgin olive oil. Sometimes I throw in a bit of fresh sage, sometimes precrumbled feta cheese and other times parsley, chopped tomatoes and feta cheese. Always, a dash of salt and pepper. It usually takes about two minutes to make enough to last three meals and it gets better over the next day or so as it marinates in the refrigerator.
  • Storm_Wolf
    Options
    I just had Shirataki noodles for the first time tonight and I liked them very much! They have an odd crunch to them but they really are a blank slate just like pasta and noodles. It's only 20 calories a serving and low carb and are supposed to be really healthy! The have the ramen noodle look about them so i guess you could get some low sodium beef or chicken stock and toss them in! sounds yummy!
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    i used to eat ramen...uncooked. :drinker:

Me too! They tasted so good lol. The power in my apartment was out for a week and all the stores were in the same boat and the buses were shut down due to road hazards and I lived off dry ramen noddles

Also OP I don't think that person was trying to be outright mean! Perhaps his post was just good natured, it's good to laugh at yourself sometimes.

I call myself the Carbo Queen because I LOVE my carbs so much! I'm pretty bad about keeping my carbs down but one trick I do use is whenever I order a sandwich I almost always get it without the bread. Cuts back on crabs without really losing too much taste. Or I just use half the bread or replace with a wrap. And portion control is important too. Have a small bag of chip instead of a large one.

Also eat more fiber...apprantly this helps balance out carbs! I eat a lot of black beans, brown rice & lentils, they are carb heavy but loaded with fiber... I don't have any idea what the fiber/carb relationship is but apparntly these are healthy carbs as opposed to the ones you find in chips and stuff
  • TwilightGirl39
    Options
    I like pork rinds. I will try to go toward those. I was watching THE CHEW today and they also stated that fat is better than all of the low fat foods. They even said that diet sodas are worse than regular sodas. I have heard that a lot lately actually. thanks for the suggestion!