walking

Options
hi! quick question is there more calories burnt walking with double jogger pram is there a way to work out calories... and walking 4.5km in 25=30mins what speed is that?? thanks!

Replies

• blakejohn
    blakejohn Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    fast enough to work up a sweat
  • nursenik81
    Options
    thanks, but still dont know what to put exercise under lol!
  • blakejohn
    blakejohn Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    put it under walking you can add your own exercise
  • nursenik81
    Options
    but i dont know calories though
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    here's a pace calculator
    http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/4/4_1/96.shtml
    so 4.5km/30 minutes is about a 10-minute mile or 6mph.
    there's no entry for walking 6mph, probably b/c that's a very fast walk.
    are you sure you went 4.5 km in the 30 minutes? or were you jogging part of it?
  • nursenik81
    Options
    hmmm i do walk fast.... maybe i got it wrong... my other walk i do is 6km in 60mins...whats that??
  • SandieM7
    SandieM7 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of walking. I use a free app on my Iphone called Endomondo. It has a built in GPS which will track the route you walk, the average speed and the fastest speed you've walked (or run) and it will calculate the number of calories you have burned. It also will tell you what elevation you have walked. I love it. I try to walk a 14.5 to 15 minute mile, doing this I can walk 4 miles in an hour. It is a pretty brisk walk. The calorie burned is determined by all the factors, your age, your weight, distance and speed. If you don't have a smart phone I might suggest using a Heart Rate Monitor which will at least tell you the calories you burned. Good luck with your walking program - I think it's great.:smile:
  • ixap
    Options
    that's a 16-minute mile or 3.5 to 4 mph
    that's a more typical walking speed (especially with a double stroller)
    it's not impossible to walk a 10-minute mile, but it would be really pretty impressive -- you'd be walking much much faster than anyone around you probably.
  • nursenik81
    Options
    we do jog down the hills and try jog up the hills with prams.. maybe that why... ok thanks guys:)
  • loseweightjames
    Options
    hmmm i do walk fast.... maybe i got it wrong... my other walk i do is 6km in 60mins...whats that??

that's a brisk walk. 3.7 miles in 60 minutes is 3.7mph, or 16min 12 seconds per mile
  • loseweightjames
    Options
    that's a 16-minute mile or 3.5 to 4 mph
    that's a more typical walking speed (especially with a double stroller)
    it's not impossible to walk a 10-minute mile, but it would be really pretty impressive -- you'd be walking much much faster than anyone around you probably.

yeah i saw this race walking show where they were walking 7 minute miles

but race walking is very awkward looking and not natural, no one is going to walk a 10 minute mile easily. Some argue race walking is harder than running, here's a video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZKSywmobMQ
  • sarahcsmaller
    sarahcsmaller Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    You walk faster than i run... i need to pick up the pace :)
  • nursenik81
    Options
    hehehe im think i had distance wrong for first one then lol... but 2nd one right:)
  • skeeter2584
    skeeter2584 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    There are 0.621 miles in 1 kilometer, so 4.5 km is about 2.7945 miles. Additionally, 25 minutes amounts to 0.4167 hours and 30 minutes is of course 0.5000 hours. If it took you closer to 25 minutes, your speed in MPH is 2.7945 miles/0.4167 hours or about 6.71 MPH. If, on the other hand, it took you closer to 30 minutes, your speed is 2.7945 miles/0.5000 hours or 5.59 MPH. Sorry if my post was too technical; :huh: I included the mile/kilometer conversion for future reference. Because you gave a range of times, I just calculated what your minimum and maximum speeds would be. I hope this helps and have a great night. :smile:
  • skeeter2584
    skeeter2584 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    For those times where you walk 6 km in 60 minutes, your speed is about 3.7 MPH. A distance of 6 km is 3.726 mi, and 60 minutes is of course 1 hour.
  • ixap
    Options
    we do jog down the hills and try jog up the hills with prams.. maybe that why... ok thanks guys:)
    OK, so you could pick the walk or run entry in the exercise diary closest to your average speed I think.
    There's a choice for walking while carrying 15 pounds; not sure if that would be a good substitute for the double stroller. I think that would possibly over-estimate calories; I think if it were me I'd just stick with the plain walking or running entry to be safe, and if in reality you burned a little more than it says then hey, bonus!