Eating Out

Options
So, I know that's it's bad or whatever but my family eats out like 3-5x a week! Any advice on what to eat? Even salads can be tricky. Grilled chicken and steamed veggies get boring when everyone else has burgers, fries and shakes.

Replies

• yougojo170
    Options
    What about fish? I usually eat fish when I eat out. If you get it grilled or broiled with lemon- its a healthy choice.
  • MdmAcolyte
    MdmAcolyte Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    It takes some planning but you can do it. If you know where you are going, you can prepare by knowing what to order ahead of time, or just eat half of what's on your plate and box the rest for lunch the next day. Even if you are at McDonalds, just because you can get a combo doesn't mean you have to. I get by with a big mac and a large unsweet tea and I don't feel like Im missing out on anything. Hope this helps. ;)
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    I try to avoid eating out but when we do I always try to plan ahead what I am going to eat. I will either use the MFP database or the restaurants website to figure out what my best options are, and then know exactly what I am going to order when I get there.
  • RenewedRunner
    RenewedRunner Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Mmmm in my family, our favorite dining out meal is sushi so I do pretty well there. Spicy tuna roll with brown rice and 3 kinds of sashimi. YUM

As for otehr places, pick a lean protein. NO butter or added sauce. Example, filet with NO butter, baked potato with butter on side. I LOVE Mexican and I get fajitas with no oil. My local place thinks I am nuts (I also live in the fattest state in the nation so health concious people are a little rare in my parts).

Things I have learned to be wary of: Breads, soups, and sauces. One roll at Logans can set you back more calories than a whole chicken breast! A lot of places also have skinny/lighter fare. For noodles, some places will sub the whole grain. At Olive Garden, you can get plain breadsticks with no garlic butter. There are options. If you have a phone, there are aps that can help you choose.

OR, save your calories, work out some point during the day, and enjoy your dinner. I LOVE steak fries, and when we go near a Red Robin, I HAVE to stop and eat there. So I make sure I eat light beforehand and enjoy my dinner then!
  • ccarebear344
    Options
    I'm not a big fish eater, so I wouldn't normally get fish. The bread baskets are always a problem. Sometimes, I try to get salad if I know there is going to be bread.

I use the restaurant foods on here but figuring out portion size is almost impossible!
  • MeABride2B
    Options
    I think the biggest thing is being honest and figuring out the best thing for you.

The PPs have some good ideas... What about salad with chicken for lunch giving you a bit more "wiggle room" for dinner?
    There are so many restaurant foods on here and I've found it to be fairly extensive- you can usually find what you're looking for.

If there is bread, I take half of a roll or a piece and that's it. It is hard, but possible.
    If portions are tough (aka they are large) you can ask for a smaller plate to split things up and put them somewhere else to bring home... If you don't like leftovers, you can do what I do and take something you don't like and put it on what you're not going to eat (ie: the rest of the french fries).

What types of restaurants do you frequent? Other than the bread baskets do you have any other "weaknesses"?
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    So, I know that's it's bad or whatever but my family eats out like 3-5x a week! Any advice on what to eat? Even salads can be tricky. Grilled chicken and steamed veggies get boring when everyone else has burgers, fries and shakes.

there is no way you can just say "you know, I think I'll just stay in for the night"?
  • Zaria_Athena
    Zaria_Athena Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Can I ask why you eat out so frequently and if there is any thought about changing this?
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    Oh, why did my mind go STRAIGHT to the gutter with this post title? LMAO! It's a sickness, I swear...

Seriously, though, stay in and make your own food sometimes. Or if you must go out, get a salad with dressing on the side, grilled fish/chicken with no sauce/butter, steamed veggies with no butter or sauce, don't get a potato or rice or fries, or bread! And only eat half of what they give you, bring the rest home for someone else, or for lunch the next day...
  • Musically_Blessed
    Options
    -Say you'd rather stay home or don't want to eat out
    -Get water or diet soda (helps cut off nearly 300 calories)
    -Have chefs box half the meal if possible, or if you have good self control, only eat half. (Makes a 600 calorie meal only 300 calories)
    -Order BROILED or BAKED fish if you can, never fried.
    -Don't get any sides unless it's like coleslaw or a side salad, etc.

I have trouble too when I eat out! Good luck
  • mikkibarker
    Options
    My husband and I eat out a lot too. We don't have kids, we both are professionals, it's easier to stop and grab something then to cook after a long day at the office. I use my smartphone and the MyFitnessPal app. Almost every restaurant menu out there is in their database. You can find delicious choices that are within your daily calorie allocation this way.
  • Rynatat
    Rynatat Posts: 807 Member
    Options

there is no way you can just say "you know, I think I'll just stay in for the night"?

In today's economy, really, wouldn't it be better to stay home & have the whole family involved in prepping, cooking & cleaning up? Save the extra money for better, healthier foods... just a thought.
    Health wise, those burgers, fries & shakes are a health risk waiting to happen if it hasn't already started. And nothing wrong with plain grilled chicken & veggies, pretty much what I eat every day for lunch & dinner, hasn't got boring yet.
  • firemanfive0
    firemanfive0 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I like to plan ahead. my caloric day looks like 300/500/700...breakfast/lunch/dinner. So if i want to have that burger for dinner, i do less at lunch...for example a 6" turkey sub from subway(289 calories). this leaves me with 900 to burn on dinner and 900 is still a bunch. also think of ditching half the bun on the burger. good luck and enjoy!
  • martintanz
    Options
    Actually, have a burger, just make it a single, no cheese, mayo, or bacon. Top with lettuce, tomato, onion, pickles, ketchup and mustard. If you are watching carbs, you can even skip the bun. Skip the fries, fried onion rings, and milk shakes.
  • Kristin2984
    Options
    Get what you want and try to plan ahead. You can pretty much guarantee that if you eat at a restaurant, that will be the highest calorie meal of you day. Plan on that. Order what you like but make it healthier than what is offered.

If its a burger and fries, get rid of the bun (about 100+calories), skip the cheese (another 100+ calories), hold the mayo...or get all that stuff but ask for plain veggies instead of fries.

Look at the whole menu. You can order pretty much anything with modifications.

Pasta dishes- ask for light sauce or grilled chicken instead of fried or add vegetables to the pasta. It will fill you up faster if there are extra veggies. Ive worked in many restaurants. They will do this stuff.

Pretty much any dish you can ask for no or little oil, light sauce, grilled instead of fried, hold the ___ (cheese, mayo, bacon aything that is fatty), veggies instead of fries.
  • lachesissss
    lachesissss Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Turkey Burgers, Veggie Burgers.... skip the mayo and cheese on stuff. If you can get extra veg on things, do it. No cream based sauces or cheese. Research nutritional menu's before you go. If you can swap to whole grain and brown rice, do it. Half the portion of your meal, eat slowly and take the rest home. Water ideally, unsweetened tea with artificial sweetner or diet soda if you have to have it. Research what serving sizes are, so you can get used to eyeballing them. Salads can be a trap if they are served with deep fried chicken, extra cheese, carbs (like croutons or tortilla strips) and dressing.
  • peachNpunkin
    peachNpunkin Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    My advice is to plan ahead, look on line at the menu (where ever you are going) and decide what you are going to eat when you go. Write that down! When you get there, do not look at the menu (there is no need, you already know what you are going to eat) and order as soon as possible. That way you are not encouraged to change your mind.

Good luck on your future endeavors.
  • djc315
    djc315 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    Order the burger with no bun or "open faced". Order a kids size shake if you feel the need to have one. Instead of fries or potatoes, ask for double veggies.

Go for baked dishes or grilled. I'm sure most menus have some type of wrap on it with chicken, if it is fried, ask for grilled instead. If the restaurant offers bread to start, ask for an iced water as soon as you sit down and drink that instead of eating the bread. Or if your family agrees, ask for bread NOT to be brought out. If they want the bread, sit as far away as you can from it. Or ask if they could bring out some veggie sticks too and just eat those. If there is a salad bar, do that and just fill your plate with cucumbers, peppers, tomatoes or any other veggie you can munch on as finger foods.

As soon as your food comes, divid it by 1/2 or even into 1/4th. Ask for a to-go-box and put away at least half of it. But leave the healthy things, like the veggies or salad.

Personally I avoid pasta any time I am out, you get like 8 servings of pasta at restaurants. No reason to even go there. Ask if they offer a half plate. Look to see if there really is an age on the kids menu, sometimes there isn't and you can get away with ordering from it.
  • ppatricia81
    ppatricia81 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I like to plan ahead and use my phone app to see calories certain foods have, then I can see if a can work into my calories I have left
  • Sarah0866
    Sarah0866 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I get salads with fruit or avocado on them if that's an option since that seems to nix the need for dressing for me. I also sometimes do burgers without the bun, paired with a side salad...it changes up the routine of grilled chicken and veggies.

Grilled fish is also a great option.

I go out to eat really often too, and I have my healthy staples that I enjoy at most places that I frequent often. It's just a matter of planning ahead :)