Upcoming Holidays Worries

Options
I started my journey in August and have done very well on my diet and exercise plan. I have made progress every week. And even though Thanksgiving is still a ways off, I know I need to prepare my mind. I don't want to completely give up all the holiday goodies and I don't want to make everything about the diet. I want to enjoy my time with my family without wondering if I am killing my progress. How do you plan on handling the holidays? How have you handled them in the past? I have come too far to allow myself to fall off the wagon now!

Replies

• KaciWood19
    KaciWood19 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I focus on enjoying a proper portion size of everything, and not stressing too much. In the past, I have made sure I got a great workout in in the the morning before. I try not to binge, but if I do, I hope to brush it off, and get back at it the next day. If you're really worried, maybe drink only water to cut some potential cals out? Good luck!
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    That's the whole point of this program - counting calories and learning how to deal with holidays, birthdays, special occasions, eating at restaurants, etc. In other words - losing weight in real life.

Don't stress. One day won't hurt you. Take smaller portions, enjoy the food you are eating, and the time with family. Try to get a walk or a short workout in. Drink plenty of water. Avoid empty calories like too much dip for the veggies or soda. I know that most families have special dishes/foods they eat on a holiday. Just remember that you have access to have/make any food you want any time of the year. You don't have to eat all of it that day. You can have it again. So there is no reason to go overboard. Just try to make good, moderate decisions and you'll be fine.
  • Mojamabo
    Mojamabo Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your input. I appreciate it. :smile:
  • johned63
    johned63 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I agree, eat your favorites, just take smaller portions. This weekend I went to an annual turkey dinner fundraising event where the food is just like a Thanksgiving day dinner. A small scoop of potatoes, sweet potatoes, stuffing, some turkey, olives, green beans, and pecan pie filled me quite full. In the past that would have just been my starter plate. When I entered all of the items here I was surprised that it was not as bad as I thought.

Best of all, even with the smaller amounts I was very satisfied and I did not feel at all deprived. And even if you do go over as was mentioned above - it is only one day.
  • Mojamabo
    Options
    My sister and I are the cooks in the family so we always provide the meal. We are deciding on some ground rules. 1. We will workout in the morning and take an additional walk in the afternoon/evening. 2. Instead of making pumpkin pies and pumpkin cake rolls we will make individual sized pumpkin cream cheese whoopie pies and muffin tin pumpkin pies. 3. All food will be put away directly after meal so we can't graze. 4. Plans will be made to have enough food not a huge smorgasboard of everything.

I think if she and I stick together and if I go into this with a good mind frame, it will be less stressful.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    My sister and I are the cooks in the family so we always provide the meal. We are deciding on some ground rules. 1. We will workout in the morning and take an additional walk in the afternoon/evening. 2. Instead of making pumpkin pies and pumpkin cake rolls we will make individual sized pumpkin cream cheese whoopie pies and muffin tin pumpkin pies. 3. All food will be put away directly after meal so we can't graze. 4. Plans will be made to have enough food not a huge smorgasboard of everything.

I think if she and I stick together and if I go into this with a good mind frame, it will be less stressful.

These are great ideas, especially the "mini desserts". I think I will even individually wrap mini desserts for people to take home...
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to add, I have been stressing out as well! I handled my birthday week well last week. but my church and work are non stop sugar and fatty baked good smorgaboards starting the weekend before thanksgiving.

I plan to not partake of any of these items and treat them like decorations rather than food available for grazing.

I am interested in hearing what others are planning.
  • Simone_King
    Simone_King Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Oh deep inside, I have this deep, primortal, fear of Halloween, Thanks given, and Christmas.

Halloween..Candy candy AND MORE CANDY! God..In the brake rooms after the said day, bags of candy everywhere! *gonk*

That and people put Candy on their desk! AS A JANITOR ITS HARD NOT TO TURN THAT DOWN!

Thanksgiving..the dinners. Yes dinners. I always manage to over eat..

Christmas: Christmas dinners. People given me food. And what not..

All of the high calorie treats..

Yes, this is my horror movie. x_X
  • turkdean
    Options
    You are doing well thinking and planning ahead. You have a plan. I save the holiday dinner as my treat dinner. This usually means a glass of good wine, lean turkey, sweet potato and lots of veggies. I take the kids on walks and just move that day. I stay as busy as possible so my mind isn't on food. I get back on track of my regular plan the next day and I like the feeling of being proud of myself that I stuck to my plan that I had from planning ahead!! Happy Holidays to you!
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I'm going to treat Thanksgiving as my cheat meal. I used to have three cheat meals a week, and I could still lose weight...but as I got closer to my 2012 goal weight, I couldn't have them as frequently...so i will try to be diligent about what I eat the whole month, and then use Thanksgiving as a cheat meal. I don't really like pumpkin pie, so that won't be a problem...but if there's apple, I might be in trouble.
  • Mojamabo
    Options
    I'm glad I am not the only one stressing about this. I do feel better knowing I have a plan. My daughter has been so supportive. She says that my confidence is building and I seem happier. She told me that she doesn't want me to go back to the way I was and loves what I am doing for myself. She said that she will help me on tough days like holidays because she knows it will be tough for me. What a great kid I have! :smile: