Elevated Liver Enzymes

Options
Hi I just got my bloodwork back from getting it done Saturday and my Liver enzymes are elevated my ALT, AST and one other I can't remember the name of are all elevated. I am scheduled for a Liver Ultrasound Wednesday. Have any of you had this and if so what was your diagnosis or what happened??? I'm a little unnerved by this and terrified something is actually wrong. Only meds I'm on are Birth Control and Another med which I already know doesn't cause liver enzymes to rise (Dr looked it up today before ordering the ultrasound.) So if you could help if you've had this it'd be wonderful! Thank you!!!!

OH P.S. I don't drink alcohol except maybe one drink every couple of months.

Replies

• DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Best to consult your doctor with such information. Elevated does not always mean bad. Elevated just means a bit above "normal" but still within range. It could very well be nothing.

Wait for further test results and then consult with your physician.
  • kesteele
    kesteele Posts: 127
    Options
    I got it back with my Dr today and she went over it, and was the one that wanted to schedule the ultrasound b/c she doesn't know why they're elevated. So it was HER choice to do this and she had no idea why they were elevated.
  • gddrdld
    gddrdld Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    First, don't panic. If you are obese, it's most likely an indicator of "fatty liver". Fatty liver is very common in obese individuals and will show as elevated LFT's (Liver function tests) but can be managed quite well through weight loss and fitness.

I agree with the above poster, however, that you should talk to your doctor about this and be careful about getting advise on-line. I just happen to be a registered dietitian and I see elevated LFT's in my obese patients routinely in relation to fatty liver.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    I got it back with my Dr today and she went over it, and was the one that wanted to schedule the ultrasound b/c she doesn't know why they're elevated. So it was HER choice to do this and she had no idea why they were elevated.

Try to relax
    I have the same elevated levels as you, and had the ultrasound done as well
    It was nothing! My liver is fine. Some people just have higher levels than others
  • doug4018
    doug4018 Posts: 130
    Options
    Agree with both posters above, go for advice from your Dr first and foremost.

It sounds like they are doing the right thing, having been through this scenario myself before. Mine tested high and found via ultrasound I had a fatty liver. It did not change for years until this year when I altered my diet and lifestyle. Now they are back in the normal range. Fortunately livers are amazing organs and can repair/regenerate unlike most other organs at least to a point.

Having said that, the Dr did tell me some people have fatty livers not from diet but genetics. This was not my case as I reversed it, but it is possible. Ask your mom and dad if they have it or not but follow your Dr's advice and continue down your healthy path.
  • kesteele
    Options
    I'm just trying to see if anyone else has had the same experience and what theirs has been. My dr is the one who doesn't know what's wrong and therefore I'm getting an U/S Wednesday. I don't need advice I just wanna see if anyone has had the same experience
  • homemomfreda
    Options
    I think your enzymes can be elevated if you are dehydrated or fighting off an infection. I've had slightly elevated levels - I have never been obese, don't drink & am fine. However, I am horrible about drinking water!
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options

Try to relax
    I have the same elevated levels as you, and had the ultrasound done as well
    It was nothing! My liver is fine. Some people just have higher levels than others

^ This.

A good friend also has naturally elevated liver enzymes. Don't panic until you have something to panic about.
  • HealthyMe46
    HealthyMe46 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I had blood work a few years ago that suggested fatty liver. Lost weight, and the problem went away. Don't panic. Good luck!
  • AprilRN10
    AprilRN10 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I am a nurse. They are right. Just wait for the testing. They can be elevated for so many reasons that most likely yours wouldn't be the same as anyone else's anyway. Make sure that if you are taking any over the counter stuff at all that your doc knows about it. This includes vitamins and tylenol.
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I had this problem when I was suffering from gallstones, between 'blockages' my liver would be working extra hard. It settled down over about a month or so (my test would come back elevated, then slightly under normal, then slightly over, until finally normalizing).

See if you can get your doctor to get your gallbladder checked out in the ultrasound while you have your liver looked at. Lots of people have gallstones with no pain, but a variety of other symptoms.
  • kesteele
    Options
    thank yall!
  • DPernet
    DPernet Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    First, don't panic. If you are obese, it's most likely an indicator of "fatty liver". Fatty liver is very common in obese individuals and will show as elevated LFT's (Liver function tests) but can be managed quite well through weight loss and fitness.

I agree with the above poster, however, that you should talk to your doctor about this and be careful about getting advise on-line. I just happen to be a registered dietitian and I see elevated LFT's in my obese patients routinely in relation to fatty liver.

^^ This
  • doug4018
    Options
    I had this problem when I was suffering from gallstones, between 'blockages' my liver would be working extra hard. It settled down over about a month or so (my test would come back elevated, then slightly under normal, then slightly over, until finally normalizing).

See if you can get your doctor to get your gallbladder checked out in the ultrasound while you have your liver looked at. Lots of people have gallstones with no pain, but a variety of other symptoms.

Normally they check the gall bladder and a few other organs routinely as part of the liver ultrasound.
  • Celeigh12
    Celeigh12 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    As mentioned, there is a good chance it's fatty liver disease. Losing weight is the best way to tackle it. Luckily, your liver is good at regenerating itself, so if you take care of yourself, it's reversible. If you don't take care of yourself, long term it can lead to non-alcoholic cirrhosis of the liver. So while panic isn't helpful, it's a warning sign that you need to get control of your weight. I was diagnosed with it too and had the ultrasound.
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Normally they check the gall bladder and a few other organs routinely as part of the liver ultrasound.

That's good to know. When I went in for my ultrasound, I'd never experienced anything like it before, so I just shut up and let them get on with it without asking questions... I know they check the kidneys for stones when they check the gallbladder, because they produce similar pain. It makes sense, now that you mention it, because of how proximate the gallbladder is to the liver.
  • doug4018
    Options

That's good to know. When I went in for my ultrasound, I'd never experienced anything like it before, so I just shut up and let them get on with it without asking questions... I know they check the kidneys for stones when they check the gallbladder, because they produce similar pain. It makes sense, now that you mention it, because of how proximate the gallbladder is to the liver.

Yup, they actually found I had gallstones because of the liver sonogram and recommended I have the gall bladder out. He thought it might improve the liver enyzmes, but only exercise and dietary changes did that.
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    Lets hope that it's just a fatty liver because it's actually reversible. If you've had a fatty liver for a long time then it turns into cirrhosis which means it's permanently damaged, and only your doctor can tell you to what extent that it is damaged.
  • teridene
    teridene Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Elevated liver enzymes means that the liver is "leaking" because it has been damaged or is ill. Or because you took too much tylenol at some point. At any rate don't panic. I also had this when I was in my 20's, before I was married and had kids and it resolved itselt over time and no doctor ever could explain it. I was not overweight at the time. So have your tests and good luck!
  • Faericn_Rising
    Options
    3 different pill form birth controls messed with my liver levels.