Do I need to eat more during my period?

Options
Do I need to eat more during my period? I am just wondering because I am losing... ya know haha.

Replies

• healthystartgirl
    Options
    Umm I don't know about eating more, but you do need to drink more water. Sorry not much help :/
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    The calories involved in extra blood-making is probably taken into account when calculating/ estimating our BMR... so no.
  • witchy_wife
    witchy_wife Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I've never ever heard that you should. You might feel more peckish and crave certain foods more and it might be beneficial to eat foods higher in iron but I've never heard that you need more calories.
  • ejha77
    ejha77 Posts: 63
    Options
    I don't think it's technically necessary, but I do know that I personally get weaker at around that time, so I do allow myself to eat a little more on the first couple of days (or any other day if I need it).

So I'd say if you feel like you really need to eat more, eat more. Don't go mad, but don't deny yourself food if you feel you need it.
  • aldalilja
    aldalilja Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    No, not really, but I heard somewhere (not sure if it's true) that you burn a bit more during your period so I guess you could add a little more (just don't go overboard).

As for me... I usually eat like a pig around that time. I sometimes (not always) just manage to eat a lot of fruit and vegetables so it's not bad.
  • doubleduofa
    doubleduofa Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    This is the only time I lose. When I went to a weight loss clinic, they told me that a lot of the women that came in had bigger drops during their period. They said that even women in menopause had a big drop one time per month. I find it fascinating. Being hypothyroid, and dealing with hormone issues, I believe it is hormonal, but that's just my opinion. I say, enjoy the loss!