quit lifting?

Options
I workout at home with workout dvds and dumbells. right now, it's jillian michaels 30day shred and I'm searching for something pure strength on youtube. when I was younger I was "working out" and I had a 5# barbell (I think it's called) and twising it around side to side thinking it was working the sides of my stomach, but in result I caused a back issue. my lower back will,not hurt persay, but it feels heavier on one side than the other and it's very uncomfortable so I take a pain killler like advil, or the like and I'm fine.

today, I was working out trying to switch up the 5# and the 15# weights during the workout and I felt a again not nessarly pain but a pinch in my back. I felt it all during the workout but (more speciaffly soon as I lifted the 15# weights off the table the pinch began) but the pinched increased with the 15# weight and not but no so bad with the the the 5# or none. I don't recall ever having the pinch problem at this time.

I do not want to cause any more injury or make things worse and I do not have insurance for x-rays or whatever else the doctor may want to do. should I quit trying to lift?

Replies

• LelliAmi
    LelliAmi Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    You probably won't need an Xray to determine what's wrong with it, but I think it's worth it to find out anyway. It could be anything from a slipped or herniated disk, to a pinched nerve to arthritis. It's important to catch any of those early on and begin treatment. otherwise you could be looking at a problem that's a lot bigger than not being able to lift weights.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    you should learn correct form before increasing weight. you should first heal then work on getting the form right then worry about weights.

also hopefully you arent doing that side to side exercise anymore. more abs exercises are pretty much unnecessary at best and at worst end up causing back issues
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    Go see a Chiropractor!
  • gjulie
    gjulie Posts: 391
    Options
    see a physio.more effective than a doctor for this!
  • quietlywinning
    quietlywinning Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    Check your form. If you can't afford a trainer, go to the library and get a book, at least, and really work on your form. Injury is much less likely if your form is correct, and injury is VERY likely if it's incorrect. Lifting with correct form can put you on the path to healing an injury, as long as you aren't lifting too heavy in the process. Get the form, THEN build the amount of weight you lift.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Man o man, if I went to the doc or physio or chiro as often as people suggest on MFP, I'd be dead broke. This really doesn't sound like much. A slight strain at the worst. Slipped discs and hernias? This sounds like the normal pulls and pains people get that goes away with time a little bit of rest.

Here's my $0 suggestion. I would try to work around the injury if I felt I could do it pain free and without risk of further injury. I'd avoid doing exercises that cause they pinch for a week to three weeks, and see how it felt. Generally it takes 3 weeks for the initial pain to go away, and up to 4-6 weeks for the area to not feel any effect at all while working out.

Also, a lot of back pain is caused a combo of lack of flexibility and a weak core. Spend some time stretching, especially your hamstrings, and work on your core (planks and side planks are a good place to start without creating further strain). This is a very good time to start doing yoga. Rehabbing from similar things is the reason I started doing yoga myself.

As with anything, use common sense. If the pain is severe or debilitating, get in front of a medical professional.

Last note: Quitting anything is usually not a way to make things better. Adapt and improve.
  • cbrrabbit25
    cbrrabbit25 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Man o man, if I went to the doc or physio or chiro as often as people suggest on MFP, I'd be dead broke. This really doesn't sound like much. A slight strain at the worst. Slipped discs and hernias? This sounds like the normal pulls and pains people get that goes away with time a little bit of rest.

Here's my $0 suggestion. I would try to work around the injury if I felt I could do it pain free and without risk of further injury. I'd avoid doing exercises that cause they pinch for a week to three weeks, and see how it felt. Generally it takes 3 weeks for the initial pain to go away, and up to 4-6 weeks for the area to not feel any effect at all while working out.

Also, a lot of back pain is caused a combo of lack of flexibility and a weak core. Spend some time stretching, especially your hamstrings, and work on your core (planks and side planks are a good place to start without creating further strain). This is a very good time to start doing yoga. Rehabbing from similar things is the reason I started doing yoga myself.

As with anything, use common sense. If the pain is severe or debilitating, get in front of a medical professional.

Last note: Quitting anything is usually not a way to make things better. Adapt and improve.

Yes i agree with this. I can't afford to go to the doctors very often but i have found that they dont help anyway. i went to one for my knee and he told me i should never run or do squats or lunges again. Ha ha. right. I strengthened my leg muscles and can tell i am getting better already. it just takes some time.