embarassed and new to this...

Options
So I am brand spankin new to this ha. I decided to try to lose weight because I have been slowly but steadily gaining weight the past4 or 5 years. It is difficult for me to eat healthy for a few reasons. Number one, because I love food. Cooking, eating, watching it on TV, I love it. Secondly, I work at Arbys, and soon to be starting at subway in addition to that. Both give a free meal to their employees for each shift worked per day. As you can imagine, with this type of work and getting a second job, funds are limited making it hard to buy healthy foods. Mostly my daily meal consists of Arbys...so if anyone has any tips for eating healthy on the way cheap, that would be greatly appreciated. Also, the exercise thing is really difficult for me too because I lack motivation. I have an elliptical that I have yet to use, but no access to a gym. I feel really embarrassed when I exercise because I feel like everyone is staring at me...I tell myself to get in some time on the elliptical when no one is home, but living with my boyfriend and to other guys, that time is rare since we all have varying schedules. In addition to that, I do almost all the cleaning and most cooking if we don't order in. With one job and house work, I find it hard to fit in time to exercise, and am thinking it will be damned near impossible with two jobs...needing a lot of encouragement in the exercise department. Also, I am looking for some extremely supportive friends on here...the title of my topic says embarrassed because I have not fully shared my weight loss goals with my boyfriend, family, or friends. Mainly because I have said this over and over again and have given up after a few weeks if not sooner. At this point I am the girl who cried wolf. All I hear is "sure, sure, you are gonna do it this time uh huh..." or "I will believe it when I see it" and the like...so I don't feel comfortable sharing with my loved ones at all until I have some real progress to show. So like I said I am looking for some very supportive friends who are willing to stick by me for the long haul. For those of you that made it to the end of this post, thanks for taking the time to read, and I'm sure you would be an awesome supporter if you stuck through my long rant. For those of you who did not take the time to read my whole post, I'm sorry for wasting your time.

Replies

• d_llopez
    d_llopez Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I still eat at Subway and have lost a lot of weight. You have many great choices there. Take things slow. Remind yourself everyday why you want to change and don't look back. It's all about how much you want it. The weight didn't get put on in one day it took time. The weight will come off you have to be patient. Add some goals and stick w/them. Do some healthy portion size meals and try to add in a little bit of exercise when you can. I watch those channels too but limit them. Try watching something else if not try and do something else to get food off of your mind. Tomorrow, tomorrow, tomorrow will just become that. Have a start date and just keep going. You can do this and Good luck ;)
  • Megabot
    Megabot Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    well this is a good start. i think it's tough to realize you don't need *them* to necessarily do this, but you do need help. chin up. first step of many. i don't know if i'm the right motivator for you, but good job starting your own process, independent of your boyfriend.
  • Britbratkins3
    Options
    Oh I totally get you when you said that you are not comfortable telling your loved ones! Can you just say that you don't want the free meal at Arby's? Or just try to portion control it. Also I think the free meal at subway is cool. You can get it really healthy, you don't have to add all the sauces, you can cut down on the cheese and meat, and load up on the veggies! Make sure you don't fall into the trap of getting the coke, cookies, chips, etc... Feel free to add me! :)
  • sallysuze
    sallysuze Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    1. you love food. So research how to make it healthier. Enjoy trying new vegies, new ways of cooking, how can you make a healthier version of a favorite meal. Make *healthy* food your hobby, not junk.
    2. you work in fast food. you know better than anyone what goes into it. You have a choice to make about whether that is the sort of food you want to put n your body.
    3. you lack motivation to exercise, and you have no time. Well, I hate to say it, noone else can do it for you. What activities do you love? How do you get to work? When you think of exercise what do you mean? Does it include going dancing, or mopping the floor?
    4. do you want to make a lifestyle change? Being fat is hard, well losing weight is hard too. Choose what you will do.
  • michay
    michay Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I work two jobs, go to school full-time and have an internship so I completely understand the don't have time part. But if I have a spare hour to so, I make myself move just once a day for at least 30 min. I try to get it done in the morning that way it's out of the way and I don't have to worry about it anymore. Just remember, when you're using the elliptical, you're still working harder, better, faster than your roommates sitting on the couch. Subway should be great with salads and such! Good luck! You can do it!
  • spozzybear
    spozzybear Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I am also known for crying wolf and am often met with sceptical stares from my loved ones.
    I also struggle big time with portion control and exercise.
    Feel free to add me - we can motivate eachother! :)
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! Don't feel obligated to share your goals or your weight with anyone if you don't want to. I'm sure most if not all of us have had more than a few false starts when it comes to weight loss and adopting healthy habits, because although it is simple it is NOT easy. But keep at it and after a week or so, it will become routine.

As for exercise, don't feel like you have to get on a treadmill or hit the weights if it just doesn't fit your current lifestyle. Are you in a position to bike or walk to work? Also, I have a stationary bike at home that I avoid at all costs, but I love biking outdoors. If that elliptical doesn't motivate you, honestly, one suggestion is to get rid of it and spend the money on Workout DVDs or a bike or something. And TRY EVERYTHING. Jump rope, hiking, snowboarding, jogging, Zumba (youtube vids at home), rollerblading, kayaking, etc., and you might find something you really enjoy a lot.

Working at Arbys, can't help you there as I'm not familiar with their menu. Fast food is super high in sodium, which will cause you to retain water and might hide your progress on the scale, so drink lots of water throughout the day, and try not to eat the deep-fried stuff, or too much processed meat. Maybe bring a bag of fresh veggies and hummus to have with your free meal, so you fill up on fibre/satisfying healthier food. Subway - chicken/turkey/veggie subs and salads, but again the meats are high in sodium.

Good luck, and feel free to friend me :)
  • Jamie_Lauren
    Jamie_Lauren Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Just because you have the option of a free meal doesn't mean you have to take it :)

I hear you on the budget and busy front! I'm a student and part-time worker living off 300 bucks a week. It's hard but you will find that it's actually cheaper to eat healthy!

A big help is planning your meals ahead of time. Set aside a day or afternoon during your week to prepare food. Cook big batches of healthy recipes and portion them and store them in the freezer. Cut up your fruit and veggies into salads and pre-package those as well. Find some healthy snacks to take with you on the road as well. If you have everything ready to go, it's easy to just take your food with you to work or wherever you go! :)

As for your loved ones, if they see you really trying to make a change they will be supportive. I have found that watching me on my own weight loss journey has motivated my boyfriend to follow me in being healthier.

At the end of the day it's about your attitude. If you want it, you will make time for it, and you will achieve your goals. Feel free to add me if you need some motivation!
  • KarenRae66
    KarenRae66 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I managed a Subway for 5 years..they have a wonderful "healthy" options to choose from. Choose the salads or the low fat sandwiches. As you see the weight come off you will be encouraged to make better choices in the area of food. Remember to just take it one day at a time..if you have a slip up..dont worry!! and most of all dont give up!!
    Remember to drink your water!!
    Start small with the exercises..I started with just walking and have added in more as the time has passed. You will find as you get used to doing it you will want to add and make the time for more because you will feel so good. Move your elliptical to a room where you can shut the door and be alone. Tell everyone it your time and to not bother you during that time.
    This is a great support site..I stick to the blogs and groups that are about weight loss but there are lots of people and sites you can visit for many discussions..
    Logging your food will also change the way you eat when you see it written down you will go "WoW" I ate that much!! I have found that by planning ahead and filling in my food log for the entire day, each morning before I eat anything I stick to it best.
    I will friend request you..Good Luck!!! YOU CAN DO IT!!...
  • UpBeatMaria
    UpBeatMaria Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Aloha sforsma311! Welcome to the MFP community :) I read your post and I would love to be friends! First of all, since you work at Arby's and now Subway, you are going to end up eating there once in a while even if you bring healthy food from home most of the time. Because of this, it is important to have some go to healthy choices at each of these restaurants. Each of the restaurants offers salads and these are a great option if you stay away from any fried toppings and use about half the amount of dressing that comes with the salad and opt for a clear dressing rather than a creamy dressing. As for sandwiches, the Arby's classic turkey looks like a pretty good choice (calorie info from here: http://www.arbys.com/food/nutrition-info.pdf). At Subway, most of the <6g of fat subs are great options, just remember not to add mayonnaise or creamy sauces (i.e. ranch, chipotle, etc.) and add cheese on occasion. As for eating healthy on the way, do you mean for breakfast on the way to work or lunch to take to work? Also, as far as exercise goes, to find motivation you need to look deep inside yourself and figure out the reason you wan to lose weight and get healthy. This is something you can always come be to when you are feeling a lack of motivation. If you like, you can message me and I can help you find your reason :) Ok, that elliptical...you have to overcome your fear of exercising in front of people and possible even find a new exercise routine that you enjoy (maybe an at home workout DVD...they have loads of different workouts at Target or online for less $$$ than a gym membership...). And don't be afraid to share your goals with everyone! If you share your goals, you will be more likely to reach them because you will be able to reach out to your friends and family for support. When you have a shoulder to lean on, life is a little easier :) Well I think my post is about as long as yours! I'll shoot you a friend request and we can be fitness buddies! :D
  • Gennacy
    Gennacy Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I hate exercise! i really really hate it. However i know that i have to do something! so i started to row, at first i could only manage 2 mins, but if i want to, now i can manage 30mins or more on the hardest setting. (and i am trying to use it daily)

If you do decided to use your elliptical, start slow and work you way up! Try "marching" whilst you are at work, take the stairs whenever you can.

I know its expensive, but a fitbit really does help to motivate me! I was 2500 steps short of my goal yesterday at 23:30 so i forced myself onto a stepper for the last few :D (first time i used that in nearly 4 years!)

I know what you mean about telling loved ones, it took me until my husband left on tour to start exercising, he had been gone a month before i started, now i kick myself thinking how much more i could have lost! He is back soon and i hope i surprise him :D:D
    Good luck! I really mean that :D
  • careson4
    Options
    Hi Embarrassed,
    Hay just want you to know that I totally get it. Sometimes family and friends can not always be supportive. But I'm gonna say to you is this, it ultimately up to you. Losing weight can be simple if you do your homework. Keeping it off is the true challenge. You have to be ready first of all and willing to make the changes. I think there is no harm in you keeping your weight and things that embarrass you to your self. But the cold heart truth is you have to be ready to make the changes you need to be successful. In a month and a couple weeks i have dropped 42 lbs. I've gone into this with the education and knowledge I need to succeed. But old habits die hard. So you have to be willing to put the excuses away and be truthful to yourself. Where you work, doesn't have to be the food you eat. You could pack a lunch. And not to sound unsympathetic by any means but look at it this way, the time it took you to blog your story, that could have been the 20 minutes you used to get on the eliptical machine. Or mapping out smaller portions and better choices. You have to start with your own thinking. If the guys bother you, as I can so relate, get a good mp3 player or smartphone and load that thing up with great music. I find that when I'm listening to great tunes, the time flies by me. and I really don't care whats going on around me. Share with your roomates that you would prefer that they go about their bussiness instead of goaking at you. Trust me when I tell you, they will appreaciate that you are working on you. And your boyfriend, hopefully wont sit back and let anyone dog you. Once you get moving, your mind and your body will feel better. If you need help on better meal choices, just let me know! Careson4
  • 0utrider
    0utrider Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I work in a kitchen in a penitentiary. It made it more difficult during the first couple of weeks for me. I'm eating pretty clean compared to before. Eating whole foods for the first few weeks make it much easier. I eat boiled eggs, tuna, baked/grilled chicken, and cheap steaks. I get big bags of the normandy blend veggies (frozen) at wal-mart for about 6 bucks. They last quiet a while. Aldi has cheap frozen veggies too. And I eat two fruits a day. canteloupe cut into eighths is cheap. I eat a lot of the same stuff repetitively, but I can weigh and calculate calories pretty easily by doing that. I bought a cheap food scale to weigh the meat on, and veggies by the cup.

Once you get on whole foods for about a week, it will make staying away from the fries and such at your work locations much easier. It really will. You sound very motivated. I understand where you are coming from as far as the exercise goes. The change in the eating lifestyle is much more important. You'll have great losses in weight from that. The exercise is important. don't get me wrong. but you won't see any exercise in my log here. You can lose weight without it. and you can start your exercise when you are comfortable to start. I feel the same way. I haven't started any exercise yet. I want to drop some more first.

When we deep fry at the joint, that is the last stuff I want to eat...if your motivation is high (and it sounds like it is!) you won't have too much trouble staying away from that stuff. I would avoid arby's food at all costs, and bring in what you have on your food plan.

I would like you to add me as your friend. I work in the same field as you, a tough one for food lifestyle changes. and I'm quite the tightwad. Maybe I can help you as you get started, and you can help me stay focused.

either way, I wish you much good luck. I think you're gonna do really well.
  • 0utrider
    0utrider Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Also, as far as sharing your plans with family/friends....don't worry about them or your previous attempts. The only thing that matters is the here and now! Believe that...
  • Smokey19
    Smokey19 Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    I, too, was embarassed to go to the gym to work out, but once I did, I found that nobody really paid any attention to me and I weighed 304 lbs. I just did my thing and listened to the music or watched tv. I am unable to work due to multiple health issues so I am at home in the kitchen most of the time. I found having cut up veggies, hard boiled eggs, fresh fruit, etc. in the fridge already prepared really helps. Drink plenty of water. It will keep your body hydrated and will flush out the impurities. Arby's has a lot of high sodium foods along with some high fat choices. If you have to eat there, avoid the bread and and eat a salad. Also, avoid the fried foods. Subway has some great choices. Have your sandwich made into a salad and use just a little dressing. I am married to a man that is underweight and keeps unhealthy food around. I now make him keep his snacks on his side of the table in sealed containers. That helps. I know what you mean about telling your friends and family...they just say "yeah, right!" You can do this and this site can be very helpful. There are many wonderful people on here that are struggling just like you. Feel free to add me. My name is Kimberlee, 49.
  • Hulk0511
    Hulk0511 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. You can eat health at subway just have to think about your choices. You can do this the mental part is the hardest part you start slow and build from there. When you start seeing changes and results it will motivate you even more. Good luck :)