What you 'should' be eating...

Options
I took my food diary off because someone criticised what I was eating. Today I've had a big breakfast but I don't care because I've burned more with the run I had before I ate it. Every time I've dieted I've got bored because rice cakes with lettuce are BORING!! The whole point of me going through this is yes, to learn that too much food + too little exercise= fat belly. So I'm eating what I want to eat, I balance my diet, keep under my calorie allowance and work out to lower my overall calorie usage even more. I do feel a bit peeved when that someone said "should you be eating that?" Fact is if I want to lose weight I have to stick to an overall calorie allowance. If I deny myself every day I resent the diet. So if I want a mars bar for lunch I'm having one. I can have fruit cup for breakfast and chicken salad for tea because this is how life will be going forward. The reason I got over weight was because I didn't realise how much I was eating. I adored cheese but since I've cut it out I don't miss is and overall it's not worth it. My body feels better, less bloated, sluggish and other things so I've made my peace with that. If I want some I'll have some but I've realised right now I'd rather use the calories for a glass of red wine when I'm relaxing in the bath or extra bacon on my salad.

When I'm done with this diet I'm going to have to balance my diet for the rest of my life, I'm not going to starve myself of anything I want now, I'd rather savor a smaller amount as and when I want it.

Oh and to the guy who criticised me, I've lost more weight than you so... :op

Fin x

Replies

• kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Funny how hypocrites like to comment on your food isn't. A sure fire way to tick me off at work is to comment on my lunch. I like lettuce so have it for lunch everyday. One day a colleague commented on the sweet potato I had on the salad - cause carbs are bad for you. I really wanted to tell him to naff off. The following week I saw him eating a Danish pastry for morning tea. That's waaaaay better than sweet potato ain't it. You've got a good philosophy which is obviously working so stick with it.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    Hear hear! I haven't cut out anything I like. I still eat crisps, chocolate and cheese, I just eat it in moderation and as well as my fruits, veggies and lean meats.

At the end of the day, I won't cut out anything that I could live without forever. It's a lifestyle change, not a diet.

Don't listen to criticism. You do what works for you.
  • brunettesrule
    Options
    Good on you for eating what you want. I am a fussy eater so, yes I eat chocolate for lunch and cheesecake for desert, but make sure my calories are under goal. Some people are too critical on this site and have no right to tell someone what they can or cannot eat. You go girl and eat what you want (within moderation...lol) and you are exercising, so goody for you.
  • Beethoven1827
    Beethoven1827 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    That's one reason my diary is only available to my (very few) friends! What I choose to eat is up to me. If I don't want to eat 100% clean/paleo/vegan/macros-balanced-the-way-someone-else-has-them, that's my choice. What I'm doing is working. And I absolutely agree - if this is a long-term lifestyle change, not a short-term diet, it has to be a sustainable change. For me, that means having some chocolate, or crisps, or ready meals, or other 'bad' foods.

Everyone has to find what works for them. I understand that when we find what works for us, we do want to share the information with others - but if they're happy with how things are, then surely that's their choice. (I say this as someone who desperately wishes a close family member would make some healthier lifestyle choices, but until they're ready to I can do nothing... The moment they ask for any advice or support, I'll be right there!)
  • Soni82
    Soni82 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I am kind of similar- not cycling my calories as much but, if i tell myself Im on a diet and I cant eat this or cant eat that I will rebel and go nuts on a block of chocolate followed by a bottle of wine!!

I do eat as clean as possible and I enjoy eating this way but I also allow myself a cheat meal where I can eat whatever I want, yes I will have that spring roll, some white rice with my stir fry AND a dessert and I will LOVE IT!!

I also include peanut butter when i want it and make myself cleaner versions of treats to stop an almighty binge but if i want a wine, then hey, I will have a wine!

It sounds like you have a good thing going for you and a healthy approach to your weight loss and food.

Good luck :)
  • atxdee
    atxdee Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    good for you for eating what you want! I do that too, as long as I stay within cal all I care about! :)
  • gjulie
    gjulie Posts: 391
    Options
    I think thats a great attitude I love to cook and i always use cream and butter to make interesting and tasty meals,personally I dont go in much for packaged food and I hate ready meals thats just my choice,my one big love is icecream and I have it at least once a week I also have a glass of white wine once a week,not much point to life if you cant have what you enjoy when you can! I try to stick to 1500 cals a day and if its too much I dont care Id bre too hungry under that!lol
  • mistadj
    mistadj Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Not everyone works the same...so you have to do what works for you. If everything was true for everyone, there would only be 1 way. I hear people say you have to eat 5-6 small meals a day...and others eat a real meal once a day and a shake for the other 2. But, what works for your goals is what you stick with...when its not working...then change it up if you want. Its always YOUR choice.
  • xo_Sarah_xo
    xo_Sarah_xo Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I subscribe to the same philosophy....if I am not cutting it out FOREVER then I am not cutting it out now. I need to learn how to eat healthier while still incorporating the things that I love - all in a way that I can maintain for the rest of my life. Nothing is off limits for me, it is just limited. While I totally respect those that can eat "clean"...I just know I could not be that strict with myself and stick to it.

Keep doing what works for you and un-friend anyone who is not here to support you (the person that criticized your journal probably WAS just trying to help - maybe just set them straight on how you are doing your journey).

Keep up the great work, you can do this!!!! :smile:
  • Lyra89
    Lyra89 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Why is cheese not okay, but Mars Bars are? :huh: If somebody is going to congratulate you on a fitness website for having a mars bar for lunch then that is a website I'd rather not be part of, to be honest! Weight loss and healthy go hand in hand, and if somebody suggests that you stick to natural foods instead of eating processed empty calories that wont fill you up and carry a whole host of negative health implications, then send them my way and I'LL be friends with them. I just don't understand people like you. It is fine to include treats in your diet, but seriously, a mars bar for lunch? And you think you'll get the body & health you're after by doing that?

:embarassed:
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Why is cheese not okay, but Mars Bars are? :huh: If somebody is going to congratulate you on a fitness website for having a mars bar for lunch then that is a website I'd rather not be part of, to be honest! Weight loss and healthy go hand in hand, and if somebody suggests that you stick to natural foods instead of eating processed empty calories that wont fill you up and carry a whole host of negative health implications, then send them my way and I'LL be friends with them. I just don't understand people like you. It is fine to include treats in your diet, but seriously, a mars bar for lunch? And you think you'll get the body & health you're after by doing that?

I guess you haven't heard about "if it fits your macros" or IIFYM. That being said, there is nothing wrong with consuming a snickers bar, cake etc. If it's within your macros, go for it!
  • StrawberrySprinkles
    Options
    I just don't understand people like you. It is fine to include treats in your diet, but seriously, a mars bar for lunch? And you think you'll get the body & health you're after by doing that?

I don't think the OP meant that a Mars bar was a daily ritual or habit. I believe she was trying to say that she *is* responsible for what she puts into her mouth and no one really has room to dictate to others the right way to do something.

I'm pretty sure we've all done things we're ashamed of food-wise...because...well....most of us joined this site with a few (or more) pounds to lose.

Yes, if you eat a Mars bar everyday, sure it's not good. But if you look underneath it all...it's just a Mars bar. The body isn't going to say 'hey, you just ate a Mars bar. You're a complete lard@ss. I refuse to give up one pound to spite you.'
    Gah, your body is going to break it down into it's key parts and use the parts it can and throw away the rest (or store the excess energy for later use).

I don't condone the mars bar diet (when I say diet, I don't mean it in the modern sense of dieting and losing weight. Diet, in my mind, is the food you eat on a daily basis and form into eating habits.) However, I will not, ever, criticize someone for their choices especially since I can't say I've always been a saint with what I've had for breakfast or lunch.

I like to keep in mind that everyone has a circumstance that causes certain things. No, it's not an excuse, but this is life. We, as people, do *kitten* up and we do it really well. Otherwise, we wouldn't be human. :D

Her mars bar, her choice. If it was your mars bar and she ate it, feel free to criticize and chastise.

P/S: This isn't me saying the OP is wrong for eating the Mars bar. It's her preferred method of getting through her personal journey. I don't limit what I eat either to just fruit, vegetables, and meat. Life is too short without something to spice it up along the way.
  • FinFoxPT
    FinFoxPT Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    To the food Nazi thanks for your time I plan to take your judgment and file it under 'I don't care'. Why reply, take your negativity and eat that.

To everyone else yay loves and light!!

I don't eat Mars bars every day but I'm not that much of a control freak that I'm brain washing myself into thinking it's going to kill me if I have one. If I can't be bothered to make something and that's what I fancied one day and I have the calories why not? Do you know what kills you before the fat in the mars bars?? STRESS! My heart is way healthier than someone panicking that they'll die if they sniff a rolo. My point is I don't care what people think is the right or wrong way to be, I've lost 30 freaking pounds and I can run a 10 min mile.

You're all fab and what works for us works, just goes to show, look at all your losses on your trackers!!!! Well done peeps xx

Fin x
  • DeniseCole5
    DeniseCole5 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    58ib weight loss is awesome, if you feel you want a big breakfast then have one. At least you won't crave it and then blow your calories. I have big breakfasts once in a while and it does no home.
    Critisising is not helpful and if that person continues delete them and add people who want to help you. Feel free to add me if u want.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options

There seem to be two types of people on this site (of the regular/long term folks anyway). You I call they type A, everything must be perfect, and you preach strict 'clean' eating. This might include vegetarianism or veganism, raw food diets, paleo etc. You think (and yes I am stereotyping a bit here) that you must be good and wholesome all the time or you're rotting your body etc.

I fall into the 'type B'. I, along with most of the people on my friends list follow a more relaxed approach. We believe in individual freedom, that calorie intake is the most important factor and that while overall health is absolutely important, having regular treats is fine, as long as it quells boredom and encourages compliance with an overall healthy lifestyle.

I work hard, train almost every day, I eat well, but I have a treat alomst every day of something you would consider 'junk'. I'm still winning!

To the OP, don't feel the need to close off your diary, just get better friends! :bigsmile:
  • Off10h8ed
    Off10h8ed Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I prefer Dove Dark Chocolate! :P

I agree... as long as you are within your calorie goal... it's all good.
    This is a lifestyle, not a diet. If I can live for the rest of my life without chocolate, I am not going to do it now.
    Everything in moderation. :)
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I think perhaps sometimes the point people who are losing weight forget that food is something we ingest for energy and nutrients. That's how we got fat in the first place: by forgetting what food is FOR. Rice cakes and lettuce may be low cal but they don't offer a lot in the way of nutrients either, but neither do many of the processed foods we eat to "fill us up" or "reward ourselves." I would literally like to get to the point where I only eat for fuel and nutrition, not for taste or emotional appeal so any time I add something as a treat in my diet with little nutrition, I'm missing the natural point of eating. I'm only saying that because there are two different philosophies on dieting and/or the role of eating, and maybe each person should be clear about theirs when they add friends.

I see some people who are under calories everyday but who have consumed very little in terms of vitamins and nutrients. What's the point of being thin if you're going to have a myriad of other health issues?
  • margieparkins
    margieparkins Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I agree, this is how I want to eat and mfp shows me the calorie limit and it works, makes me more self controlled on portion size as well.
  • Siannah
    Siannah Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I' m surprised that so many people read other diaries. I rarely do. I couldn't care less about them, a lot of my MFP-friends are on a different continent anyway and I wouoldn't know half the food on their diaries. Besides, what business is it of me to see what someone else eats?
    I'm delighted for them if they get nearer their weight target, or if they did a good workout. But whether they eat lettuce or a mars bar, who cares?
  • rfsatar
    rfsatar Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    To the food Nazi thanks for your time I plan to take your judgment and file it under 'I don't care'. Why reply, take your negativity and eat that.

To everyone else yay loves and light!!

I don't eat Mars bars every day but I'm not that much of a control freak that I'm brain washing myself into thinking it's going to kill me if I have one. If I can't be bothered to make something and that's what I fancied one day and I have the calories why not? Do you know what kills you before the fat in the mars bars?? STRESS! My heart is way healthier than someone panicking that they'll die if they sniff a rolo. My point is I don't care what people think is the right or wrong way to be, I've lost 30 freaking pounds and I can run a 10 min mile.

You're all fab and what works for us works, just goes to show, look at all your losses on your trackers!!!! Well done peeps xx

Fin x
    I want a Mars Bar now. Like right now.

I think my diary is set for friends (I posted a tech support question the other day and got a snarky response saying that someone couldn't see my diary so couldn't verify a Fitbit adjustment!)...

Different things work for different folks and absolutely at the end of the day, we are all responsible for what we eat... no-one is forcing us to do logging.

And OP - when I saw the last bit on the orig post of losing more than the guy who criticised... I CHEERED!
    Well done - stick to what works for you...

[toddles off to local shop to by Dijon mustard for a smoked mackerel and bacon salad.... oh and a Mars Bar... ]