Instep/Shin pain when walking

Options
Hi
Can anyone give any advice as to why i'm suffering from really painful insteps and lower shins when walking. I have good trainers, nike running with impact groove but each time I go walking briskly I get pain in my instep and shin. Are there any stretches that I can do to alleviate this?
Thanks for any help.

Replies

• leska1216
    leska1216 Posts: 260
    Options
    Sounds like shin splints. Very painful.
  • Keiko385
    Keiko385 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    It will take a while to strengthen them up, but do toe taps, place your heel directly underneath your knees and lift your toes/foot leaving your heel on the ground till they feel like they will cramp then stop, do this several times a day. Tracing the alphabet with your toes is another good exercise to help relive shin splints
  • KristyR929
    Options
    I have the same problem. My shins usually stop hurting a mile or so into my walk. The instep pain... well, I've never really found much I can do about that except massage. I have a foot roller that I use to massage my feet before and after my walk. There are also some stretches for your shins. Just google shin splint stretches and you'll find a lot of sites with good info.
  • gjulie
    gjulie Posts: 391
    Options
    This is awful,maybe you are moving too fast slow down a bit and build it up gradually shin splint are very common in dancers and can take a bit of time to heal rest and toe exercises but definately slow down!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Could be a combination of shin splints and plantar fasciitis. I suffered from both during running, but shock-absorbing insoles (I got Sorbothane sports one from Amazon) made a huge difference.
  • fiabka
    fiabka Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I used to have Reebox, Nike etc etc trainers and suffered something terrible with shin splints -

I even had to get my o/h to come pick me up once while out walking as I couldn't take another step, (I had been using a garden wall to support me but the garden had run out so no more wall!!!)

then a friend of mine told me to go to a 'proper' running shop so off I went and they did a load of tests on my walking/running/standing

I came out with a pair of trainers slightly cheaper then the Nike ones I went in - that was over 6 months ago and I have not suffered once since ..... that reminds me, I need to go back & trade them in for a new pair !!!!

Hope you get some relief soon xx
  • Nijo1821
    Nijo1821 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks a million everyone for the advice. I will definitely try the stretching and googling the shin splints. Maybe a new pair of trainers could be in order also. If all else fails I may have to slow down a bit :smile: