Eye surgery PRK...is it really as scary as it sounds?

Options
quietHiker
quietHiker Posts: 1,442 Member
I searched the message boards, but couldn't really find a lot of PRK stories...So, I've been to a consultant for Lasik and I've been told I need to have the PRK procedure done instead due to my high eye prescription and thin corneas....what I'm wondering, is it REALLY as scary as it sounds? They're telling me how I need to take a full week of work off and can't drive and that the first three days will be the most painful...and that they'll give me an Rx for vicodin or something similar...is it really that bad?!

HELP please (if you've had it or know of someone who has). I really like to get the procedure done, but I'd like to hear what I'm really getting myself in to. Thanks!

Replies

• quietHiker
    Options
    bump, anyone?
  • tmos512
    tmos512 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    My husband had it. It was very painful afterward. We actually made a supplemental trip to the E.R. because of the pain, and my husband is no wimp. The worst part was that his vision went right back to where it was after a few months. Maybe you'll have a more successful experience..
  • lkarbosky
    Options
    I had this done a little over 3 months ago now. I went in thinking I was going to get the Lasik, and due to a severe astigmatism, they opted for the PRK method instead. Needless, to say, I went for it to get the best possible outcome.
    I must admit that the first 24 hours were hard, but after that, the pain was not bad. My eyes were very sensitive to light, but other than that, they didn't hurt. I did sleep most of that weekend after my Friday procedure. I went back to work on Monday, but kept the lights in my office dim and I was not able to read a computer screen very clearly for the first few days. Luckily, I didn't need to.
    As far as driving, I was not able to drive at night for the first week, due to the glare of the lights, but after that I was fine. During the day was no big deal, cause my sunglasses cut the glare. By my followup after my first week, I had 20/20 vision and it has stayed perfect for over 3 months now.
    So, I'd have to say, yes, the healing process may be a little longer, but it is totally worth it and don't be scared. You will love the results!
  • quietHiker
    Options
    Thanks to you both. I've been trying to find user reviews online (outside of MFP) but find more on Lasik. Any more? I have a follow up appointment in a few weeks (to see if I can clear up my dry eyes) and if that's ok, on that day I can schedule my surgery appointment...I'm about 90% sure I'll do it...just want to know others' experiences with it :)

Thanks again!
  • quietHiker
    Options
    bumping
  • quietHiker
    Options
    I've seen some online stories saying that on day 4 o5 5 they could look at their computer screen just on a lower resolution (not higher, whoops!)...so maybe I'll be able to work from home a little....would love to hear any stories at all from the amazing MFP community...thanks!
  • mrpitcairn
    mrpitcairn Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I had PRK done 14 years ago. Still seeing wonderfully:) They did my eyes two days apart. The first eye was more uncomfortable than the second. I think applying many cold compresses really helped with the second one (didn't do it with the first) Great luck to you!
  • samblanken
    samblanken Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I had lasik about 12 years ago.

No pain whatsoever. I was nervous - they gave me valiuum but I swear that stuff does nothing for me. I went home and listened to music, didn't try to watch TV, read etc.

I woke up the nexy day seeing 20/20. 3 months later I was seeing 20/15 - and I was legally blind without contacts before. I had dry eyes for about a year after - always kept a bottle of eye drops in my pocket.

I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Can't say about PRK.

Edited to add:
    Yes I am wearing glasses in my profile picture. I started wearing glasses in 3rd grade and by the time I graduated college I was legally blind without them. Every year my prescription got worse and worse. I knew that lasik would not be a permanent fix for me. It is is your prescription doesn't progressively get worse like mine did. I went for about 4 years without needing glasses and it was awesome. I am considering having it done again and I HATE glasses and can't wear contacts.
  • kenyajae
    Options
    I had lasik, my advice is to sleep as much as you can, as soon as you can after the surgery. recovery was quick for me. but the 2nd time (I needed a touch-up) I didn't get to bed before the pain drops wore off and it was uncomfortable.

I'm glad i did it, being able to see without glasses and contacts is a gawd-send. And, I'm sure I save money and time on contact supplies, eye glasses and sunglasses, and yearly eye doctor appointments.

Good luck finding the right procedure and doctor to help.
  • dprvig
    dprvig Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I had PRK done a little over a year ago and it has been one of the best decisions I've ever made. The procedure itself only took a few mins, with most of that being eye prepping. I was able to tell an immediate difference with my vision (I could see clearly!). I had the procedure done on a Friday afternoon. The first couple of days, my vision was a bit hazy, but there was little to no pain. Around the third day or so, my vision was more or less useless, and I ended up just listening to podcasts/music for the day. During these first few days, I was a bit sensitive to light and had to stay in my darkened room. I was able to watch tv for most of the time, but a lot of that was really just listening to the shows.

I was able (ran out of sick days) to return to work the following Thursday (6 days post procedure), but since I work on a computer all day, I wasn't able to accomplish much of anything. Same thing that Friday. When Monday came around, I was able to finally get some work done, but I had to lower the screen resolution quite a bit to be able to read. I should mention, that during this time, driving wasn't all that bad. I couldn't read street signs all that well for the first 2 days back to work, but it was easy to see the other vehicles.

Hope this helps!
  • kikih64
    kikih64 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Same story here...went in for Lasik, but had to have the PRK instead - thin corneas. Immediately following, my vision was crystal-clear and I was ecstatic! Then, the blurriness and grittiness came. I had trouble even opening my eyes to put the drops in. The medication for inflammation made my stomach upset and I took Tylenol 3 for pain. I had it done on a Friday morning, and went back to work the following Weds. Still a little blurry, but I could function. I would say it took about a week for the pain to be gone, and for my vision to clear up.

Stay very hydrated!! Your eyes get dry and pitted - it's uncomfortable and you won't see as well. Drink lots of waters and use the tears. I had this done about 8 years ago and don't regret it at all. The pain goes away and you will have years of great vision. I'm older now, so I have to use reading glasses, but I went in to get my distance vision fixed and it's still perfect. The only thing I've noticed over the years is that my eyes do seem to get dry more frequently. Oh and don't freak out if you feel like your eyelid is stuck to your eyeball in the morning. That happened to me a lot. I would just give my eyelids a gentle rub and it was fine, and then put tears in right away.

Good luck!! It's a little scary, but you'll love the results!
  • guardian419
    guardian419 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I had PRK in June... no issues other than a slow recovery because I'm stubborn and didn't wear sunglasses...

Using the drops as prescribed, with normal eye drops more than the minimum, I've had no pain, just an uncomfortable feeling for a little bit after they took off the protective contact.
  • HMD7703
    HMD7703 Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    <-- Had PRK in 2005, and now back in glasses. I wish I had done LASIK. In fact, I might get LASIK (as you can have eye surgeries touched up multiple times).

Have you read about the comedian Kathy Griffin? She has had multiple eye surgeries (LASIK) with varied outcomes.
    http://www.kathygriffin.net/lasik.php

Anyway, my recovery with PRK was rough for 3 days or so. It felt like there was sand in my eyes. I had to put this Vaseline stuff in my eyes to help with the dryness. I also had to use eye drops multiple times per day (and still years later I use them). The "Halo's" at night were rough and I actually drove with brown-orange sunglasses at night for months. I still try not to look into headlights at night, as it is painful. Aside from wearing glasses AGAIN, I was happy with my few years of no glasses!

:glasses:
  • HMD7703
    HMD7703 Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    To add:

Somewhat longer time to best uncorrected vision (best vision is vision attained using glasses or contacts) typically patients are 80% at 1 month after surgery, and 95%-100% by 3 months after surgery. LASIK, in contrast, corrects vision much faster.

The outcome is not completely predictable and some patients may still require glasses.

From: http://www.medicinenet.com/photorefractive_keratectomy/article.htm
  • quietHiker
    Options
    Thanks for all of the great insight into PRK!