calling all people who have had a breast reduction!

Options
my boobs are gigantic. im hoping that they get smaller when i lose weight. i dont have any back pain or anything, but i hate how its hard to find shirts that fit nicely. also, i always have massive cleavage and i cant get away with wearing anything without looking slutty :( i dont know if id go through with getting a reduction because of the risks (problems with breast feeding, etc..) but if anyone has any positive experience.. i might just go through with it!

sooo, has anyone here gotten a breast reduction before? how did it go? did you regret getting it done? how much did it cost? did you have scars? complications?? anything i need to know....

THANKS A BUNCH ! xox

(i had no idea what category to put this under)

Replies

• Lantzbug
    Options
    I had a breast reduction approximately 10 years ago. I do have scaring, but it isn't bad. Its well worth it for the results. I went from an 'F' to a 'C'. I told him to take everything and leave the nips, but he wouldn't :). Recovery I won't lie is not pleasant. You'll have drains for a few days and there will be little things like brushing your hair, and teeth that will be difficult. You don't realize how much muscle in that area you use to do normal things. I don't regret it one bit. While they have gone up with weight gain, they have never gotten smaller with weight loss other to the size they were made surgically. As far as breast feeding, I was not able to breastfeed. I know some people can.
  • LethalBeauty
    Options
    thanks for the reply! :)
  • saratf
    saratf Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I had a breast reduction when I was 22. There will be scarring, there's no way around that. The recovery was much more painful than I expected--it was difficult to move around for a few weeks. My insurance covered the surgery, which is why I had it done when I did (all of my insurance since has specifically excluded it). However, most insurance require documented back pain before they'll approve the surgery. Looking a little trashy in t-shirts is not going to be good enough. Out of pocket, I'd think you'd be looking at over 10k.

I was not able to breastfeed, and I do regret that. There's a great book, Breast Feeding After Reduction (there's also a web group), to check out if you're concerned. On the one hand, I can lift my son without back pain, which would not have been possible without my surgery, but I would have loved to breastfeed. I pumped for six weeks, but made almost nothing.
  • quitereasonable
    quitereasonable Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've not gotten a breast reduction yet, but I plan on it. I didn't because I wanted to breast feed also. I did not get to breastfeed anyway and ended up exclusively pumping because I was too large. I was told that people with large breasts can breastfeed, but this turns out not to be true if you are large firm, full breasts. It is only true for those that have softer squishable breasts. I was a 34J while nursing and pumping, but my breasts were hard and firm and could not be squished to fit in any of my three babies mouths, and when I would try milk would squirt everywhere and practically drown the baby. I will say though that while pumping, I produced a LOT of milk, over 100 ounces a day and ended up donating to the hospital for my first and second (for my third I quit pumping early and just saved the milk frozen for the youngest to continue to have).

Pumping is painful and completely inconvenient. It is the worst of both breastfeeding and bottle feeding with extra awfulness thrown in. You have more cleaning of equipment to do than you would with formula. You have discomfort from not feeding if you can't pump on time. Pumping itself is extremely painful. You have to carry equipment with you if you are going to be out for too long. Unlike breastfeeding, you can't really do it in public or even a bathroom and finding a spot is very hard and you often end up pumping in the car if you are away from home.

I'm not discouraging you from EPing or getting a breast reduction anyway. I absolutely believe that breast milk is best and my girls are incredibly healthy, including my child that has Down syndrome. My oldest has only been sick four times in her life and my youngest has never been sicker than a slight fever and runny nose. I just want to put out there that it is possible that you won't be able to breastfeed directly and be honest about what providing your child with breast milk might entail.
  • LucyT4dieting
    LucyT4dieting Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I had a breast reduction in 1999. I was already finished having children, so I'm not sure about the breast feeding thing. I documented health issues before getting approval by my insurance company. I am a small girl (5'2") and went from a DD to a C.
    I didn't know what to expect, but the discomfort was significant, and I'm not sure I would have gone through it had I known in advance, but now that it's over, I can tell you that it was well worth it! The back pain I experienced on a daily basis is gone, and I can now wear all the clothing I couldn't get away with before (such as tank tops, strapless dresses, normal sized bathing suits and bras, etc.) I feel so much better about myself! The size of my breasts does fluctuate with my weight gains and losses, but never has gotten to the point it was before the surgery. If I had it to do over again, I wouldn't have waited so long. Best of luck to you in whatever you decide.
  • twotwentyeight
    Options
    I went from an H to a C last year. I'm 22, so insurance wouldn't cover it at first. I was denied twice since I didn't have documented back problems. Then I had to go to a chiropractor and have a few doctors write a letter and finally months later, I was approved 100 % to be covered. I didn't really have any problems with recovery. For the first three days it was painful, but I was back at work a week later. The drains are no treat, but I enjoyed my time off of work ! And also, being able to stand up straight for the first time in years made it all well WELL worth it. I would recommend it one thousand times over. After getting the surgery, I was able to start running and lost 70 pounds, ran multiple half marathons and a full in a few weeks! Best decision ever.
  • bikhi
    bikhi Posts: 175
    Options
    i can't add much except to say i had one in 1986 and it was one of the smartest things i've ever done.
  • dev5254
    dev5254 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I had this done a few years ago and had some complications due to other health issues. Even with that I am so glad I had it done. Bras had become a torture device, ridges in my shoulders and rashes underneath, I am much happier and feel much better now. I had lost 40 pounds before and not 1 size came off my cup size so I decided to go with the surgery. My main advice is do your research. Investigate your phyician, learn everything you can about the procedure and after care so you are prepared if you go forward.
  • laxbballmom
    laxbballmom Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi, This is my first post ever and I felt very strongly that I wanted to recommend breast reduction. I had mine in 1996 after I had had both of my kids. It was, by far, the best decision I have made regarding my body. I was a 44DD and am now a 38C or so. It does fluctuate based on weight gain but I am so much more comfortable.

A big part for me is that when I was braless (at night for bed mostly as I just could not be braless any other time), my breasts literally hund down to my belly button. And I had a constant yeast infection across my stomach and underside of the breasts because they were always sweaty and I could never get the area dry.

I was lucky because I am in Canada and it was 100% covered. I did have to do the documentation of sore back etc but it was much less stringent than I understand it to be in the States. I had no problems with the surgery and a very quick recovery. I don't remember having any drains in place but lots of bandages. Yes, there is scarring but unless you are naked in front of others, they will never see it.

I had three or four friends who had the surgery around the same time as I did and none of them ever regretted it. When you start out with big boobs and they get smaller, it becomes harder to understand why other ladies want such huge augmentation. I can understand when you have almost nothing and just want to get some shape but the obvious ones or outlandish ones I cannot wrap my head around them!

anyways, I strongly encourage you to do it.
  • claritarejoice
    claritarejoice Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I am a 34H and have never considered a reduction. I hope/believe that the size will decrease as I lose weight. Surgery is a very serious decision with potential complications and difficult rehab. The main annoyance I have right now is having to pay for expensive bras. I'm looking forward to losing weight and buying regular bras.
  • mistressfaye
    mistressfaye Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I had breast reduction 6 years ago this month, absolutely the BEST thing I've ever done for myself. I am one of those that never gained or lost in my boobs because of weight...no matter which way I went my actual boobs stayed the same (only the measurement around changed because of the difference in my back)

I was a DD by the time I was 16 (and I was skinny back then lol) Pregnancy to me to an F and they never went away. I could not go shopping without having to come home to take something for the pain in my back, I couldnt stand at the sink and wash dishes without major pain, I couldnt sit in a tub and shave my legs without having to move my boobs out of the way. They caused migraines all the time.

When I had the surgery, they took a total of 4 pounds off and took me down to a C. Even laying in my back in the recovery room after the surgery I could tell a difference.

Yes I have scars, but you know what? I don't care, I can walk around walmart for more than 10 minutes without being in so much pain Im crying, I don't have to have extra big towels just so they will wrap around the girls. I don't have sweat stains on my shirts around the stomach area because of all the boob sweat. I don't get food stuck in them all the time. They don't hang down half way to my belly button anymore.

I was lucky, my plastic surgeon was awesome, and fortunately my ins concluded it was medically necessary and it only cost me my 100 dollar co pay.

I will not lie, the recovery was rough, but not totally unbearable, drainage tubes, swelling, bruises, pain from the little bit of lipo they did under my arms instead of cutting me all the way back (the lipo pain was actually worse than the breast pain) The major annoying part was when the nerves in my nipples starting "reconnecting" itchy itchy itchy lol

The only regret I have, is that I waited so long to have it done.
  • LethalBeauty
    Options
    i suppose complaining about scarring was necessary.

i live in canada so im assuming that the cost wouldnt be terribly expensive.

right now the surgery would be mostly for confidence purposes. i know that might sound dumb, because most people get it done for the pain relief, but having a really big chest makes me feel so uncomfortable :( and i think its important to feel good about yourself.

i think what ill do is wait until i have children. that way if they grow and stay the same, then ill defintely get it done.

thank you so much for all the replies, i really appreciate it! learned a few new things :)
  • jennyripp77
    Options
    I had a breast reduction 15 days ago and would highly recommend it. I am 35 and done having babies. I have lost 20 pounds this year and my breasts only deflated, I was left with long and saggy boobs. Insurance denied me 3 times before covering the surgery and I have documented problems since I was in my late 20's.
    Pre surgery I was a 34H and now I am a 34C. I love my new boobies! I have some minor swelling still, no bruising, but they feel bruised. My sutures are almost all healed and I have had no complications.
    I have had a great experience and would do it again.
  • bradwwood
    bradwwood Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I know this is more of a gal topic, but i can't help but to bring something up.

Your profile picture makes you look like you are about 16. Your profile is closed, so I can't tell anything other than what your picture looks like. You don't mention what size you actually are either, or how tall you are, have you already lost all the weight you intend to lose, etc.

Assuming you really are in your teens, I think everyone here is overlooking the obvious. You should allow yourself to finish growing. You could end up growing into them. I've seen a variety of times on these fitness forums teens complaining about their size and it seems it is more about them just getting comfortable with the changes taking place.

Maybe you are in your mid 20's, are gigantic, and really could benefit from a reduction. I'm just chiming in with the voice of reason based on some assumptions at this point.