Suggestions

Options
Right Friday I'm off for a birthday meal to a chinese restaurant, I'm not one of these people who believes in cheat meals/days. Therefore I want to stay healthy, what would you reccommend ? This is just for ideas, knowing me I'll just blag it on the night but any suggestions would be most appreciated and I'll be sticking to water so no concerns with regards to drink.

Cheers (friend requests welcomed if you want)

Replies

• superkel317
    Options
    The majority of food in Chinese restaurants is pretty unhealthy (although very tasty!). Some have a health section on their menu with things like steamed vegetables & steamed chicken. If they have it, I would stick with that.
  • EdTheGinge
    EdTheGinge Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    I'd love a stir fry :), should be ok as I never normally get that close to my calorie allowance but was just wondering. Thank you :)
  • superkel317
    Options
    You're welcome! Stir fry does sound amazing!! And, it shouldn't be too bad on calories, but even if you go over a bit, it's only one meal. :)
  • Rice dishes are low calorie. Mostly you'd just need to avoid the deep fried stuff, because a lot of chinese food is pretty healthy.
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Check out this calculator. It's geared toward Weight Watchers points, but it's still helpful for figuring out what's healthy and what's not.
    http://www.weightwatchers.com/util/art/index_art.aspx?tabnum=1&art_id=82061
  • cherrieruns
    cherrieruns Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    you can get the stir fry but ask for the sauce on the side, dip your fork into the sauce then your food. The sodium in chinese food can be over the top!
  • stephgreene
    Options
    If you're like me and love sesame/general tso's/sweet and sour chicken, you can do what I do and ask for steamed chicken with the sesame/general tso's/sweet and sour sauce on the side. The brown rice in chinese restaurants near me usually isn't brown rice like we know, but white rice covered in soy sauce and fried, so your best bet is to go with white rice on the side or some steamed veggies. Then you can get what you want and still stay somewhat healthy.
  • EdTheGinge
    Options
    Awesome suggestions people, think I'll just have a whinge and see where that gets me haha
  • BelindaDuvessa
    BelindaDuvessa Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    If they have a Mongolian Grill, build your own stir-fry. You control the ingredients, up to and including the sauce.
  • EdTheGinge
    Options
    *bump