Great Healthy Cookbooks

Options
I think one of the worse things when eating healthier is cutting out certain foods.

I recommend "Cook this not That". It's part of the "Eat This Not That" series. There a recipes around 300-400 calories that are as good and better than resteraunt food for hundreds of calories less.I made a Patty Melt that was only 300 calories, which is 400 calories less than Steak and Shake.

Replies

• jennylynn84
    Options
    Try "The $7 a Meal Healthy Cookbook: 301 Nutritious, Delicious Recipes That the Whole Family Will Love."

One of my biggest problems with healthy cooking is that it usually calls for such expensive and rare ingredients! But this book has a ton of stuff you can afford. Note though that the $7 is not per serving. But it still comes out pretty affordable.
  • cmurphy04722
    Options
    Are any online? You know...for free? :-)
  • sweetbn
    sweetbn Posts: 318
    Options
    I have a book called "Fix it and Forget it - light" which is for my crockpot. This is especially useful since I work and hate cooking.
  • lvfunandfit
    lvfunandfit Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I was looking for some new recipes!
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    If you love to bake you should try King Arthur Flours-Whole Grain Baking. It's wonderful and they do have most of their recipes online.
    http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes2008/
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options

Here's a link to 4 of the recipes... better than nothing! :wink:

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/34690610/ns/today-today_health/
  • cas1
    cas1 Posts: 1
    Options
    I have found many good recipes and great food advice from Jane Brody's Good Food Book, and her Good Food Gourmet. I also like Pillsbury's Fast and Healthy Cookbook.
  • jennylynn84
    Options

My hubby and I have found a TON of good tasting recipes at www.eatingwell.com. Very tasty too.
  • Matthew1114
    Options
    1) I'm going to have to check into that crockpot cookbook, I love crock potting it.
    2)One of the recipes in "cook this not that" uses king arthur flour to make whole wheat pancakes with fruit compote instead of pancake syrup (mostly high fructose corn syrup).
  • catherine1979
    catherine1979 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I am constantly going to http://www.101cookbooks.com/index.html for recipes... I love this blog and have tried many of the recipes. I love the Otsu and the Rustic Cabbage soup recipes especially.
  • cmurphy04722
    Options
    Thanks for the links! I'm a big fan of recipezaar.com and search for healthy ideas on there all the time. It's a great site!
  • cds2327
    cds2327 Posts: 439
    Options
    I am in love with the biggest loser family cookbook. really yummy stuff in there!
  • marjaskow
    Options
    I have 3 favorites that I make several recipes from. One is Zonya's Lickety Split meals. Her website is Zonya.com and there are sample recipes. I probably make at least 3 things a week from it and it has all the nutritional info for every recipe.The cookbook also has a lot of motivational info in it. Simple, quick recipes using common ingredients.

The Hungry girl recipes are also good and they can be foound at Meijer or Target.

Also Half My Size was inexpensive, also bought online at halfmysize.com. I think there were sample recipes online and they also ahve the nutritional info.
  • kpm14
    kpm14 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I was just reading through my Biggest Loser cookbook for the first time. Looks like some yummy stuff that I can't wait to try.
  • nakrya
    nakrya Posts: 191
    Options
    I think one of the worse things when eating healthier is cutting out certain foods.

I recommend "Cook this not That". It's part of the "Eat This Not That" series. There a recipes around 300-400 calories that are as good and better than resteraunt food for hundreds of calories less.I made a Patty Melt that was only 300 calories, which is 400 calories less than Steak and Shake.

I have a couple of books by Ellie Krieger (she's on the foodnetwork). I love them. Good recipes, real food, and balanced.
  • CherokeeBabe
    CherokeeBabe Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Some great ideas, esspecially some of the sites mentioned, Thank you everyone :heart:
  • astrosnider
    astrosnider Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    A great online trove of recipes is epicurious.com. It has thousands from Gourmet, Bon Appetit, Self and other sources, with reviews and photos. You can sort them many different ways to find recipes for certain ingredients, healthy recipes, holiday ideas, etc. It also has an excellent app for the iPhone called epi.