Going back to work and fitting excersize in

Options
I've been laid off for over a year now and haven't had any success in finding a new job so I've been on call for my old position. Found out today I'm going back to work wednesday for 3 months to cover someones maternity leave. I'm excited about getting back out there and the money but scared to death about loosing my drive for working out. I've been working out sporadically throughout the day for at least 2 hours. Now I'm worried how will I fit that into a 40 hr a week work schedule? Will I still have the drive to do this when I'm tired from working? I'm not a morning person either. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    As cliche as it sounds 'Just do it'. I would say a good percentage of MFPer's work full time and have kids....we make the time.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    As cliche as it sounds 'Just do it'. I would say a good percentage of MFPer's work full time and have kids....we make the time.

Yep, sorry.....you're not going to get a whole lot of pity on this one. We all have jobs, obligations, family, homes to keep up, friends, appointments, errands, etc. You just have to decide that exercise is a priority. And you don't have to do 2 hours a day. Not necessary.
  • mgeaux
    mgeaux Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    not wanting pity in any way shape or form. and 2 hours for me is neccesary
  • 86rollyb
    86rollyb Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I found it easier to get my exercise in while I was working. Take a walk at lunch & then hit the gym before you go home or do a video before bed. Now that I'm at home with 2 little ones I'm having a hell of a time carving out even 30 minutes 3 times a week :-/ But I know that its something I need to do and most of the time I find a way to get in at least SOME sort of exercise.
  • lizziebeth1028
    Options

2 hours is not necessary for general fitness. 30 minutes to 60 minutes, get it in get it done. Make sure you stay within your calorie goal. That along with 30 to 60 will get you there. If you need to exercise more you may want to rethink your calorie intake?
  • lizziebeth1028
    Options

Plus I just checked your profile. No kids. Working out after work should not be a problem. I get home at 6 and I'm at the gym by 6:30. Get it done and eat dinner late...easy with no kids!
  • teejay2039
    Options
    Shouldn't be a problem if you want it badly enough. I don't have kids but I work 10-12 hour nights, and never the same schedule.... but I get my workouts in, regardless...... walking on breaks, etc. I'm not a morning person either; I do my workout in the late afternoon and evening..... if you want it badly enough, you'll make time. :)
  • 123meg123
    123meg123 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    First of all, congrats on the new position. That's really awesome news!!

I work full time and go to school two nights a week so I feel your dilemma. My tips are:

- Break it down into small chunks (30 min hand weight session before your shower and breakfast, 30 min brisk walk at lunch time and 45 min gym session after work)
    - Make Saturday and Sundays your big work out day so that mid week you can have slightly shorter sessions but still have your weekly total up where it has been
    - Try to exercise on the way home from work for example, go straight from the office to the gym, don't go home as you'll start preparing dinner, watching TV etc and never go back out.

I hope this helps. Good luck to you and keep us updated through your status updates, we'll try to keep you motivated.

Enjoy being back at work!
  • Kimjanebrooks
    Kimjanebrooks Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on the job!!
    It's all about finding a new routine.
    I used to exercise during the day when the kids were at school, but since working I now have to exercise in the evening after dinner. I leave work at 6, have washed and wiped up from dinner by 7, have half an hour rest then do 30 day shred and then go straight to the gym after. I shower at the gym so when I get home I put my pj's on watch 20 mins of tv and then go to bed.
  • ang3h
    ang3h Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    It's not easy but once you get back into the swing of things it'll be second nature.

I was on worker's comp for two months and went to the gym at my leisure.. then I was cleared to go back to work. I work evening shift and hate going to the gym before work since I sleep in so late so I've been going after. I commute about 45 minutes both ways. The first couple of weeks back were tough.. not only did I have to get used to working again but I was so tired and worn out after my commute, going to the gym after felt like torture.. but I stuck it out and now it's easier. It's a good way to decompress and destress :) It helps if I eat something dense (like a flaxseed muffin) before I drive home since it gives me an energy boost so I'm not dragging *kitten* at the gym.
  • Siannah
    Siannah Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Two hours exercise seems very long, I wouldn't be able for that to be honest.

I have a fulltime job, a husband and two young children. So I only get to workout after 8pm, when they're in bed (I don't do mornings, not a morning person, like you).
    But when they're in bed I would stick on a dvd (jillian michaels, davina mccall) or find something on youtube, fitnessblender or blogilates and do a workout for 30-60 minutes. And if the weather is anyway decent and I have the time, I will go for a good walk in my lunchbreak (always have my runners in the car with me).

You'll probably be really, really tired in the first week or two when you're back in work, so I woudn't overdo it, but try to get yourself some kind of routine.

Congrats on the job!! :flowerforyou:
  • 3under2
    3under2 Posts: 133
    Options
    Congrats on the job!

If it's something you really want to do, you'll make it happen.

I work full time and we have twins that are soon 2 and a 3 year old. I am NOT a morning person, but am too tired after work and want to spend time with my hubby and kids so mornings it is. I get up at 0530 and am working out by 0600. I do on the short end 45min and on the long end 1.5 hours depending on the day. I work out 6 days a week.

My family knows (even the little ones) that working out is important to me, so now it's important to them too.

If you don't have kids, your life just got that much easier time wise.

You'll make it happen ... if you want to!

Good Luck!
  • Beethoven1827
    Beethoven1827 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I'd say plan your workout times in advance - certainly for me that's the only way it happens. Never had time for exercise what with working, kids, husband's working times etc. until I started Couch 2 5K. Now I have three runs a week scheduled, plus one class. Nothing else has changed in the family schedule - it's just that I finally gave my own health and fitness the same priority I gave everyone else's. Occasionally things have to change, but then it's a case of making alternative arrangements; the next week I can't do my normal Wednesday afternoon run, so I'm going to have to get up early those mornings and go out then instead (ugh!). I'm not missing them out, though - that's not an option now.

SIt down before you start work, look at your timings, think about how you work, whether you like early mornings/late evenings/whatever, and plan plan plan.
  • P05T5CRIPT
    P05T5CRIPT Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Firstly congrats on the job! Being completely honest, you've got to make time, no room for excuses, it's tough but it's true. Most folks here work full time and have families, if you want it badly enough, you have got to make it a priority.

I don't have kids but I work a 40hr week (with shifts), it's not easy to fit exercise in but I do it. I now walk every lunch time at work for 25 minutes at a fast pace and this might be TMI for some, but I've recently decided that everytime I go to the rest room I will do 10 squats. When you drink 4ltrs a day, thats quite a few visits to the loo, so I'm doing around 50 squats a day at work and it takes just a few minutes. There are even desk exercises you can do. Every little helps :-)

I find having a schedule works well, each day I know what workout I'm going to do, that keeps me accountable.
  • lynz4589
    lynz4589 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I work 40 hour week as well as run my own business as a sideline. Im up and at the gym by 7am 3 mornings a week. I dont like it (infact can think of a few do actually do) but I just get it over with. I only do 30 mins in the mornings before work but I also then on alternative nights do 3 nights after work for 50 mins. Yes I get home late on those nights and probably only get in at 8.30pm but its worth it in the long run. Providing I do those workouts in the week I dont have to go at the weekends and usually find a "fun" activity to do on Saturdays like a day trip somewhere to take a long walk, swimming, tennis etc.

I don't have kids and can only imagine how difficult it must be for parents but if you want it badly enough you will find even 30 mins in your day. I know I did just by not watching tv, the benefits far outweigh getting home early. The house suffers, from both of us leaving at 6.30am and not returning home until 8.30pm but its all about priority. If you want you will find the time.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the job!

As far as exercise, work it in. If time becomes an issue, do shorter workouts that are highly intense, like Jillian Michael's Thirty Day Shred, where you can get a full body workout with both strength training and cardio in under thirty minutes. I do it three days a week, and it's working great.

Honestly, you don't need to workout out for two hours a day. That's fine if you have the time, but it's not necessary at all. Just increase your intensity and you can do 30 minutes a day, even if it's just three times a week. Just about everyone can spare 90 minutes a week.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Seriously, what the hell kind of exercise are you doing that takes two hours? Walking?
  • mgeaux
    Options
    I love the restroom and squats idea !! I love doing squats and lunges so thats a great idea for me !!! Thanks :)
  • mgeaux
    Options
    Two hours yes but its split up throughout the day. For example mornings I'll do 45-60 min of Zumba or Just dance on the Wii. Mid afternoons 30 min of a circuit training dvd or pilates or boxing. Evenings a 30 min walk on the treadmill or outdoors. I change it up frequently so my body doesn't get used to anything. I'm taking this seriously and I have 97 more lbs to go. Plus I love the way my muscles feel after a good burn!
  • helyg
    helyg Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    It is possible. I work and also have three children, so have to do a bit of juggling sometimes to fit it all in!

How close do you live to work? I walk to work every day which, depending on the route I take, means 2-3 miles/40-60 minutes exercise a day just as part of my routine. I try get up early and do something (eg aerobic dvd, yoga, stationary bike) before work and then do something (eg swimming) several evenings a week too. At the weekend we often go hiking or cycling as a family.

It will take a little bit of getting used to but once you get into the new routine you'll be fine!