What you 'should' be eating...

Options

Replies

• ravengirl1611
    ravengirl1611 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    There seem to be two types of people on this site (of the regular/long term folks anyway). You I call they type A, everything must be perfect, and you preach strict 'clean' eating. This might include vegetarianism or veganism, raw food diets, paleo etc. You think (and yes I am stereotyping a bit here) that you must be good and wholesome all the time or you're rotting your body etc.

I fall into the 'type B'. I, along with most of the people on my friends list follow a more relaxed approach. We believe in individual freedom, that calorie intake is the most important factor and that while overall health is absolutely important, having regular treats is fine, as long as it quells boredom and encourages compliance with an overall healthy lifestyle.

I work hard, train almost every day, I eat well, but I have a treat alomst every day of something you would consider 'junk'. I'm still winning!

To the OP, don't feel the need to close off your diary, just get better friends! :bigsmile:

As a fellow Type B - I agree - when I chose MFP one of the major reasons I chose it was because it made sense to me - any "diet" that eliminates any major food group (no carbs) or is too food nazi (you cant ever have mcdonalds again) wouldnt work for me. I like Mcdonalds - in fact it was probably one of my favorite places to go for a quick bite - my life is constantly on the go and drive thru was a frequent way for me to get a meal - do I still eat at mcdonalds - yep I do - and I enjoy it when I do - but it's very rare now - Im now eating better than I ever have and yes - that includes the occasional big mac. Like the OP I have a closed diary - what I eat is up to me and I have better things to do with my time than debate whether or not the 4 white chocolate macadamia nut cookies I had for breakfast yesterday were a good choice or not - and they really werent no matter how good they tasted - but they still fit in my macros
  • rfsatar
    rfsatar Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I' m surprised that so many people read other diaries. I rarely do. I couldn't care less about them, a lot of my MFP-friends are on a different continent anyway and I wouoldn't know half the food on their diaries. Besides, what business is it of me to see what someone else eats?
    I'm delighted for them if they get nearer their weight target, or if they did a good workout. But whether they eat lettuce or a mars bar, who cares?

My main purpose for looking at others diaries is to possibly gain new meal ideas! It is wonderful to see tickers going down and being able to see what they are eating to get there!

This... and I've also been able to send one of my MFP friends some of my recipes based on what she's seen in the diary... it's a nice aspect of the social side of things....
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

To the OP, don't feel the need to close off your diary, just get better friends! :bigsmile:

I keep mine open because I have never been the type of person that gave a damn about what other people think of me.

And I haven't had a Mars bar in a long time. Since they are so small and priced the same as bigger candy bars, I always felt jipped. :laugh:

Love your post, OP. Down with Food Nazis! :drinker:
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I agree with you. Earlier I had pasta. However, unlike how I used to eat pasta, I only had a cup's worth of it, and I did not add any Parmesan cheese to it at all. I don't deprive myself of foods that I like. I just eat a proper serving size. I try to eat healthier, but if I'm in the mood for a brownie, I will have one if it's in the house. I find myself not craving "bad foods" as much because I know I can have it, just in moderation. I'm not on a diet because diets don't work. This is a lifestyle change.
  • apocalypsepwnie
    Options
    I've not had anyone on my friend's list say that to me, lucky or they'd be gone! All of us share the same outlook that this is a lifestyle change but life happens. Some days you'll be over, some days you'll be under. Sometimes you'll meet your calorie goal with wonderful food and sometimes not so much. It's learning about portion sizes and how to compromise to be able to have the things you love without starving yourself in between.

I have had someone say to me 'can you have this?' 'are you allowed that?' which was shut down with 'I can eat whatever the damn hell I like. If I want to eat bacon for a whole week I will'

I do make suggestions to others if I see habits in their diaries that they have mentioned they'd like to break or specific outcomes they'd like such as less salt or better snack options. I haven't gone in all nosey telling people what to eat, just offering advice based on their goals and wants that they've already discussed. If they don't take it up, eh, I'm not their mum.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Not everyone works the same...so you have to do what works for you. If everything was true for everyone, there would only be 1 way. I hear people say you have to eat 5-6 small meals a day...and others eat a real meal once a day and a shake for the other 2. But, what works for your goals is what you stick with...when its not working...then change it up if you want. Its always YOUR choice.

This is pure truth, and it's sad that so few people realize it. As I've said before, finding the perfect balance that works for you as an individual is more art than science, even when it comes to macro balancing. Taking the advice of someone you have never met (this is an assumption on my part in this case, and could be wrong), when what you are doing is obviously working would just be ridiculous.
  • JenMcCrory
    JenMcCrory Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    I guess you haven't heard about "if it fits your macros" or IIFYM. That being said, there is nothing wrong with consuming a snickers bar, cake etc. If it's within your macros, go for it!
    [/quote]

I just found out about this today and it makes so much sense. It makes me even more aware of what I'm eating rather than just trying to keep under a certain calorie level.

To the OP everyone needs a treat now and then you would give up in no time if you didn't. Don't worry about what anyone else says as ling as your losing weight happy days :happy:
  • LittleMissDover
    LittleMissDover Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Why is cheese not okay, but Mars Bars are? :huh: If somebody is going to congratulate you on a fitness website for having a mars bar for lunch then that is a website I'd rather not be part of, to be honest! Weight loss and healthy go hand in hand, and if somebody suggests that you stick to natural foods instead of eating processed empty calories that wont fill you up and carry a whole host of negative health implications, then send them my way and I'LL be friends with them. I just don't understand people like you. It is fine to include treats in your diet, but seriously, a mars bar for lunch? And you think you'll get the body & health you're after by doing that?

:embarassed:

She's not asking someone to congratulate her for it but not to pick on her. If I have chocolate every day that's my choice and I don't expect anyone to comment, if I have chocolate every day and am saying 'I'm not sure why I'm struggling' THEN and only then would I appreciate comments that it may be the chocolate.
  • babymamahowell
    Options
    I think we are all on this site for our own reasons, so why criticize someone else. We all have our own goals and it is our own responsiblity to meet those goals. In the end you alone are responsible for the calories you put in your mouth, so why criticize someone else, instead congratulate them on meeting their goals. Life is crazy enough, why bring drama to MFP!
  • Lindseyelizabeth87
    Lindseyelizabeth87 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I think perhaps sometimes the point people who are losing weight forget that food is something we ingest for energy and nutrients. That's how we got fat in the first place: by forgetting what food is FOR. Rice cakes and lettuce may be low cal but they don't offer a lot in the way of nutrients either, but neither do many of the processed foods we eat to "fill us up" or "reward ourselves." I would literally like to get to the point where I only eat for fuel and nutrition, not for taste or emotional appeal so any time I add something as a treat in my diet with little nutrition, I'm missing the natural point of eating. I'm only saying that because there are two different philosophies on dieting and/or the role of eating, and maybe each person should be clear about theirs when they add friends.

I see some people who are under calories everyday but who have consumed very little in terms of vitamins and nutrients. What's the point of being thin if you're going to have a myriad of other health issues?

I think this is the best point yet.

For everyone else- You'll get what you put in. If you want to eat junk, go ahead and eat junk.
  • corrinnebrown
    corrinnebrown Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    So I don't understand why anyone would criticize what you ate. It's not really their business is it? I realize we are here to support each other but if you are doing it in a healthy way then I don't see a problem. I have not opened my diary based on that. Its no ones business but my own what I eat. Good luck!
  • spersephone
    spersephone Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    My diary is private because although I really eat very well most of the time, I allow myself the odd treats here and there, and I don't preach that how I eat is how everyone should eat. I don't want to hold myself up as an example. I know the way I should be eating and I do try to do that most of the time.

But I'm astounded by how people live on very bland, pre-packaged foods/snacks for much of their diet, and eat far less than they should - and then publicly show it in their diary. I'm even more amazed by people congratulating them on it when it's clearly not a very healthy way to live long term.

I am answerable to myself, no-one else, so no-one else needs to see my diary. It's very useful for me when I want to see where I might be going wrong, because like I said, I am not the example of the best way to eat. But I've learned enough to know that real food is the best way to fuel my body.
  • joebob66
    Options
    There seem to be two types of people on this site (of the regular/long term folks anyway). You I call they type A, everything must be perfect, and you preach strict 'clean' eating. This might include vegetarianism or veganism, raw food diets, paleo etc. You think (and yes I am stereotyping a bit here) that you must be good and wholesome all the time or you're rotting your body etc.

I fall into the 'type B'. I, along with most of the people on my friends list follow a more relaxed approach. We believe in individual freedom, that calorie intake is the most important factor and that while overall health is absolutely important, having regular treats is fine, as long as it quells boredom and encourages compliance with an overall healthy lifestyle.

I work hard, train almost every day, I eat well, but I have a treat alomst every day of something you would consider 'junk'. I'm still winning!

As a fellow Type B - I agree - when I chose MFP one of the major reasons I chose it was because it made sense to me - any "diet" that eliminates any major food group (no carbs) or is too food nazi (you cant ever have mcdonalds again) wouldnt work for me. I like Mcdonalds - in fact it was probably one of my favorite places to go for a quick bite - my life is constantly on the go and drive thru was a frequent way for me to get a meal - do I still eat at mcdonalds - yep I do - and I enjoy it when I do - but it's very rare now - Im now eating better than I ever have and yes - that includes the occasional big mac. Like the OP I have a closed diary - what I eat is up to me and I have better things to do with my time than debate whether or not the 4 white chocolate macadamia nut cookies I had for breakfast yesterday were a good choice or not - and they really werent no matter how good they tasted - but they still fit in my macros
  • AntShanny
    AntShanny Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    That's why I keep my diary private...it's no one's business but my own what I eat! If I want to eat 3 cupcakes in a day damn if I'm not going to do it! As of today I've lost almost 27lbs and it's not because I had people looking over my shoulder. I'm doing this for ME, for my life and no one else.
  • Hiccup90
    Hiccup90 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I would be SO peed off if someone told me what I 'should' be eating. I believe you shouldn't cut out any foods otherwise it makes you crave it. I also believe if you eat small portions of the things you like (while keeping to your cal goal it is fine. You need treats. What is a life where you cant eat what you love?
    I reckon you should exercise and eat enough for your body.
    Do it the way you want to.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Why is cheese not okay, but Mars Bars are? :huh: If somebody is going to congratulate you on a fitness website for having a mars bar for lunch then that is a website I'd rather not be part of, to be honest! Weight loss and healthy go hand in hand, and if somebody suggests that you stick to natural foods instead of eating processed empty calories that wont fill you up and carry a whole host of negative health implications, then send them my way and I'LL be friends with them. I just don't understand people like you. It is fine to include treats in your diet, but seriously, a mars bar for lunch? And you think you'll get the body & health you're after by doing that?

:embarassed:

She very well could get a rocking hot body while eating a Mars bar for lunch occasionally. She didn't say she ate Mars bars for lunch everyday. Though it is possible to have a candy bar everyday and still be hot and healthy. It's all about balance.

There is no evidence that eating clean 100% of the time will make you prettier or healthier than eating a well balanced diet that includes treats.
  • wwmorrow
    wwmorrow Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I think everyone needs to do what works for them. Some people can cut out certain foods completely, and some of us need to be able to have those foods sometimes. For example, some people would never have pizza while trying to lose weight. Yesterday I had pizza...two slices! Why? Because I hadn't had pizza in two weeks and I wanted it. I know that if I deny myself I will eventually get sick of it and give up. I just made sure that I was under my calories and I exercised.

Now, would I lose more weight if I didn't have pizza, chocolate, etc.? Probably. But, it's my decision.
  • felblossom
    felblossom Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    If I could get drunk off of lettuce then fine, but if I want to go out and dance with my friends than I'm going to drink my empty alcohol calories. I'm losing weight faster than MFP calculations, and I've been drinking at least once every week since I joined. I try to stay within my calorie goals, but even if I don't, then it'll even out in the end.

Being healthy and being thin is great and all, but if I'm going to sacrifice ALL the things and people I love to get there, than what's the point. Whatever works for you works!
  • samlankford
    Options
    well someone actually told me I had an eating disorder because I eat steamed vegetables (about 2 cups) and lean protein every day for lunch... and o yeah I OBVIOUSLY have a problem with exercise because I do it every day, 2-3 times a day... some people just don't understand that exercise is not only about weight loss, I LIKE TO EXERCISE AND EAT HEALTHY!! rude people at my work... very rude...
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Totally agree that you don't need to close your diary, just ditch/ignore the nitpickers.

I allow treats and what other people would call "bad foods" all the time. Cookies, candy bars, pizza, pasta. Chocolate milk just about every night as a bedtime snack. I have from the get-go, and it's what works for me.

I've had very few people criticize my choices. In fact, I can only think of two.

One was a guy who said I shouldn't eat a donut.... the donut that I ate after running my first 5k. It's become a tradition for me... if there's post-race donuts, I'm going to eat them. If there's no donuts, I'm a sad panda. :frown: It's also the only time I eat donuts. I don't buy them.

Another was a woman who criticized my food diary in a success story thread for eating a Snickers bar for breakfast every day. Something like, "How can you say she's doing a good job when she eats candy bars every day?!" What she failed to notice was that it was a Snickers Marathon Bar, with over 20g of protein, not really a "candy bar."

Meh. Don't care. I know what I'm doing works for me. I know having my diary open has helped others, because they can see that you don't need to eat perfect and clean to have results.

An open diary is good for two reasons... it allows others to help you if you have problems, and it allows you to help others by being an example. And that's the whole point of having a community on this site, so we can all help each other.