How bad could a glass of wine be??

Options

Replies

• fxdl2k2
    fxdl2k2 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Wine dehydrates me, causing water retention. When I drink wine, I drink water in a 2-to-1 ratio. Helps quite a bit for me.
  • lrichardson2360
    lrichardson2360 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

It sounds like you're getting very obsessed with fluctuations in your water weight. Nobody actually loses 11 pounds of fat in two weeks, nor does anyone gain 5 pounds of fat in 1 night.
    [/quote]

THIS!!!!
  • asitis
    asitis Posts: 2
    Options
    I am an outright LUSH :tongue: when it comes to wine! I gave up chocolate, I gave up potato chips, I gave up nearly every food that was a comfort to me. I could not, will not give up the wine! Dark red wine.
    Don't get me wrong, I treat myself occasionally to a greasy burger, or a slice of cheese pizza, and don't feel the least bit guilty about it.
    My calories per day fluctuates between 1200 -2000, the other day, I overate, and my calorie count was over 3000! The next day, I got back on the MFP wagon, and mostly stick to what is working for me.
    To be honest, I drink more than the occasional glass of winre per day. I find on the days that I don't drink wine, my weight stagnates for a day or two.
    I guess what I'm trying to tell you is, IMO, I don't think the wine is what is holding you back. Maybe try varying your calories every day.
    I also take raspberry ketones every day, and barely exercise. My weight loss is slow and steady.
    Stick to your plan, whatever works for you, Don't give up!
    Good luck to you,
    Viva la wine!
  • felblossom
    felblossom Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Don't let the numbers discourage you! This is the first time in years that I have a scale at home, so I've been "playing around" with it and it's interesting to see that my weight can fluctuate a LOT just over the course of a day. I try to weigh myself at the same time every day, and it still goes up one day, down the next, perhaps the same the day after that and then it goes on and on like a rollercoaster. That being said, the numbers keep getting lower, and the ups are further and further away from my starting weight.

I find that the trouble with alcohol is that it contains more calories than perhaps you think. A glass will easily fit into the daily amount of calories, even if the body will focus on burning it off and put food in second place. If you log it and it fits, however, I don't see how a glass now and again will do much harm in the long run, same as any other treat. Just keep it in moderation :)
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    i love my glass of wine too but i can tell when i haven't had it for a couple of days. i still enjoy it often.:drinker:

I can tell when I haven't had it too. I get the shakes real bad and start getting all stabby and mean.
  • meg7399
    meg7399 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    One particular item wine or otherwise cannot cause more weight gain or not. Calories are calories and as long as you are eating less then your body expells it is going to cause weight loss. How fast or slow is completely up to the person and yes everyone fluctuates on the daily!
  • weloveourboys
    weloveourboys Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Exact same revelation here. I LOVE my wine. I mean, LOVE. I always believed in the calories in calories out theory, and I still do, but when it comes to alcohol, I do wonder. Even though I still make sure I eat within my intake limits, on the weeks I drink a glass a day, I definitely gain weight, vs. the weeks I don't (I've experimented). For example, I've gained 2 pounds in the last two weeks, despite increasing my exercise duration and intensity. The only change that I've made other than exercise is to add the 1-2 glasses of wine a night in the last two weeks. The weeks I don't drink, my weight goes down. So starting yesterday, I've decided to forego that nightly pleasure. I'm tellling you, for me, that is a tough one. I am not an alcoholic by any means, but I really enjoy that glass of wine in the evenings after I come home from work.

ETA: I still will enjoy it, but will limit it to 1-2 days a week. What I also wanted to disclose is that I am in serious training for a race so alcohol is best avoided anyhow. I wouldn't give it up if it wasn't for the fact that alcohol does hinder my athletic performance. So for me it's not just about my weight, though weight loss is always welcome (I'm a long distance runner - weight loss is always welcome as it increases my speed even if everything else remains constant).
  • tyrantduck
    tyrantduck Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    i love my vices as well, and if i know i want them, i'll put them into my food log ahead of time then make absolutely sure so exercise off that amount plus another couple hundred calories and to up my water intake. works for me and i love both wine and salty food!
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    water weight can cause fluctuations like this.
    The more water you drink, the less water weight you will have. The more dehydrated you are, the more you will retain.
    sodium will also cause dehydration and water retention.

Alcohol dehydrates you. Drink extra water.
  • nturner612
    nturner612 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    oh how i love my drink at the end of a busy hectinc day. on average i think a glass of wine is on average 130 calories give or take. 2 shots of vodka has 128 with a splash of diet cranberry juice bringing my total to 133. i find that i cannot have just one glass of wine, but my vodka drink hits the spot. i almost killed my diet this weekedn when i bought a 4pack of thsoe little wine bottles....looked em up and i said oh heck no! only had 1 :)
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Red wine is one of my favourite things in the world, but I'm slightly allergic to it and getting more so. If I don't take an allergy pill I start sneezing and getting stuffed up, then get an asthma wheeze. I usually weigh more the day after drinking wine, which I suspect is some sort of swelling or water retention from the reaction. Beer not so - I usually wake up a pound of two lighter :drinker:
  • HoneyIShrunktheMom
    Options
    If you think wine affects you that way then don't drink it. But ... my honest advice is to stop weighing yourself more than once a week and on your weigh in day, make sure you weigh at the same time of day every week. For example, on Monday morning I get up, go to the restroom, walk to the kitchen to start the coffee pot and then step on the scale before I have anything to eat or drink.

So many things can factor into the number on the scale and you just can not get a true reading by getting on the scale every day.

One other thing, you said you weigh/measure 95% of your food. If you're not weighing/measuring *everything* then it's likely that what you assume is approx. 95% is probably less than 95%. Try to weigh and measure everything and see how that works for you. It's SO easy to under estimate what you think a portion is.

Good luck!
  • LizL217
    LizL217 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Red wine has tryptophenylphosphoric acid which studies have shown causes muscle to spontaneously transmogrify into fat.

98db0w.jpg
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I used to love my nightly glass (or two) of wine, but it's one of the things I've cut back on. Even though I drink plenty of water, I do still feel more bloated when I've had a glass for more than a day or two in a row. That being said, I doubt it was the cause of your gain but more the water retention idea. Maybe try experimenting with having less glass and drinking more water. If you can find a good balance than it's the best of both worlds!
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    This is the second thread I've read today that's dissing wine...:sad: :sad: :sad:

It's okay, wine, I still love you, and will love you forever :love:
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    A glass of wine can be VERY bad. There are a lot of really bad wines out there. However a glass of good wine is very good.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    One particular item wine or otherwise cannot cause more weight gain or not. Calories are calories and as long as you are eating less then your body expels it is going to cause weight loss. How fast or slow is completely up to the person and yes everyone fluctuates on the daily!

This is actually incorrect.

While I agree on IIFYM idea, calories are not calories with regards to alcohol.

Alcohol does have a specific effect on the metabolism and there are quite a few studies to support this.
    It can also lead to liver steatosis - this is the general condition known as "fatty liver" - what occurs is that alcohol changes and impairs the normal processes of synthesis and elimination of triglyceride fat in this tissue. This can have impact on a variety of conditions from diabetes to sleep apnea.
    Furthermore alcohol impacts renal vitamin D metabolism which has all sorts of downstream effects.

Everything in moderation.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    This is actually incorrect.

While I agree on IIFYM idea, calories are not calories with regards to alcohol.

Alcohol does have a specific effect on the metabolism and there are quite a few studies to support this.
    It can also lead to liver steatosis - this is the general condition known as "fatty liver" - what occurs is that alcohol changes and impairs the normal processes of synthesis and elimination of triglyceride fat in this tissue. This can have impact on a variety of conditions from diabetes to sleep apnea.
    Furthermore alcohol impacts renal vitamin D metabolism which has all sorts of downstream effects.

Everything in moderation.
    While all this is true, there is also research to support the idea that alcohol has a hight Thermic Effect of Food (TEF), so its calorie contribution actually counts somewhat less than the equivalent calories from other sources.
  • whiteheaddg
    whiteheaddg Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Since joining MFP I've learned that most items on the planet will make you fat or kill you; to include (but not limited to): sugar, bread, dairy, peanuts, meat, soybeans, diet sodas, and, now, wine.

I have cut out none of the above in my weight loss to date and enjoy a glass (or two) of wine or bottle (or two) of beer nightly. It is factored into my calorie count and as longs as net calories is less than TDEE the weight comes off.

I'll end with saying that this is what has worked for me and has helped me stay on target.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Does this happen to anyone else?

I can't speak for anyone else but, no it didn't happen to me. I met my goal, lost a few more and have maintained that loss since April of 2011 and I drank wine just about every day. Still do. Usually 2 glasses with dinner and more on the weekends. Occasionally I skip the wine and have beer, but it's usually wine.

Also, surely know that you didn't lose 3 lbs of fat overnight, right?