What lifting does to a back

Options
I don't really have much in the way of before pics for my back, but I found these old canoeing pics from 2011, and figured they'd do.

So this is what a back looks like that belongs to a naturally thin person with a higher than average activity level, who has done no real strength training:
7A.jpg
5A.jpg

Then in 2012, I did crossfit for about three months from January to March, and then not much for several months before starting 5/3/1 at the end of July. I'm on my deloading week of 5/3/1 of my third cycle through the four week program. I am definitely stronger, and have added about three pounds to my lean body mass in 2012. My BF% is actually about flat, so the main difference in the before and afters is just added muscle.

Anyway, here is where I'm at now:
100_2516_1.jpg
100_2514.jpg
100_2515.jpg

Replies

• kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    It's hard to judge changes when you're not flexed in the before picture like you are in the after. Maybe you could include a non-flexed after?
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! good job, I can see the changes!
  • kimimila86
    Options
    I can still see the changes! Great job!
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    It's hard to judge changes when you're not flexed in the before picture like you are in the after. Maybe you could include a non-flexed after?

The last one is actually not really flexed. My posture is still obviously better and my arms are up, but the last one is not flexed like the first two afters are.
  • Tall_E
    Tall_E Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    You are gorgeous! And I'll bet you're powerfully strong too... I hope you are extremely proud of yourself! You have given me much needed inspiration to strengthen myself and proof that it can be done. Way to go, girl!
  • svgarcia
    svgarcia Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    wow, your back looks great and strong!!
  • sliceofsarah
    sliceofsarah Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    You look great! A back to aspire to! :)
  • ShmoozyQ
    ShmoozyQ Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Great job, you look awesome. Thanks for the pics! My back looks like your before back, spine sticking out. I spent so many years thinking it was just cause I'm thin and always have been. But then I gained a little weight and damn, my backbone STILL stuck out. Now I realize my backbone sticks out because my back needs muscle, haha! That's one of my strength training goals now - to not see my backbone sticking out when I'm standing straight up. Good motivation here, seeing your pics!
  • MariahHubert
    MariahHubert Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Your back looks beast! I love it :)
  • SexyLovinmeCook
    SexyLovinmeCook Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    You looking so amazing and strong....Congrats...
  • TheBiggestLosee
    Options
    Showoff... lol I'm teasing.

How much better does your back feel?
  • JenKillough
    JenKillough Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Your back & shoulders look great! Love the comparison. Even when you're not flexed you can see the difference... keep up the great work :)
  • fawndam
    fawndam Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    U look amazing!! Great work!
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    your spine also looks a bit straighter. If you haven't had your spine checked recently, you might want to.

fabulous work
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    Options
    Great job, you look awesome. Thanks for the pics! My back looks like your before back, spine sticking out. I spent so many years thinking it was just cause I'm thin and always have been. But then I gained a little weight and damn, my backbone STILL stuck out. Now I realize my backbone sticks out because my back needs muscle, haha! That's one of my strength training goals now - to not see my backbone sticking out when I'm standing straight up. Good motivation here, seeing your pics!

Muscle near the spine was definitely a help to keep spine from sticking out. On a related matter, I used to get bright red spots on my back from leaning up against a wall, tree, or hard chair back and pinning my skin between the hard surface and my spine.

I still have some spine showing, but I am far from giving up my lifting: I freaking love lifting.
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    Options
    your spine also looks a bit straighter. If you haven't had your spine checked recently, you might want to.

fabulous work

I don't think I've had my spine checked since middle school. Maybe I should think about that.
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    Options
    Also, thanks everyone. I am pretty darned happy of where my 5/3/1 has gotten me thus far. It really is my new favorite thing.
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Damn girl I can even see your traps! Great job!
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Hotness! This is clear evidence that lifting and building muscle enhances curves, look how much more tucked in your waist looks!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!