The Color Run

Options
Has anyone done this? I'm really interested in doing it next summer and was looking for people that have actually done it.. it would be my first 5k and if all goes well i'll weigh less by next summer so it would hopefully be a bit easier. Anyway, feedback?

Replies

• klwells08
    klwells08 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I did the one in Richmond this year as my first 5k. I loved it! It was low pressure and a great time, just what I wanted for my first 5k. You can get as colored as you want through the color stations and the after party, it is up to you. There is a great mix of people too, young/old, runners/walkers, etc. So, I felt very comfortable.

I plan on doing DC next year. I didn't sign up early enough and both runs were full for this year by the time I was ready to sign up.
  • HoneyIShrunktheMom
    Options
    I loved it! It was low pressure and a great time, just what I wanted for my first 5k. You can get as colored as you want through the color stations and the after party, it is up to you. There is a great mix of people too, young/old, runners/walkers, etc. So, I felt very comfortable.
    I completely agree! I did it with my husband and our two teenagers and we had a blast!
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    I know a couple people who have done them and I was hoping to do one in Florida in December but looks like due to costs to get there, I won't be. BUT it is coming back to Boston next summer and I'm planning on signing up as soon as it opens
  • jackieatx
    jackieatx Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Color me rad? I can't wait! I am not a "runner" but my endurance has been getting better. It will be fun you should do it! A good opportunity to dress up like a neon nut and run around with friends.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I did one, and it was OK. You have to watch out for getting it in your face though, and it doesn't wash off as easily as advertised. Mine was on a really hot day though, and the paint + sweat caused some stains on my torso that took a couple of days to come off, ,even with multiple showers each day! I was careful to avoid my face and hair....

The one I did was 'loosely timed' and wasn't considered a competitive run, and there were some backups at the color stations, so its not the best for serious runners who are concerned about improving their 5K time....but it was fun!
  • hummus40
    Options
    i ran the color run two weekends ago in Cincinnati Ohio and it was fun...although it wasn't a timed race and didn't feel like a 5K run...meaning, the mileage was not that of a true 5K. That having been said I ran it with a group of family so it was OK and we got a lot of fun photos along with a fun after party :)
  • kd_mazur
    kd_mazur Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    It was my first 5k and it had a great time. There was a very wide age group and it was really low pressure.
  • OMG_Twinkies
    OMG_Twinkies Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I'm doing my first 5k at the Orange County Color Run in April (I think?). I'm on week 3 of C25K right now, so I'll be ready to go by then :)
  • Bossit
    Bossit Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    sounds interesting. but if its a relaxed environment, I don't see myself shelling out the money to participate.

Zombies however, sounds like a great race.
  • twilightlvr79
    twilightlvr79 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I am training for Color Me Rad (basically the same thing as The Color Run) and Run For Your Lives which is a 5K and obstacle course where you are being chased by Zombies.
  • bcerz811
    bcerz811 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    If it's your first 5k I'd say definitely do it. I ran the one in Louisville, KY for my first 5k and it was a great way to ease myself into the sport. It's super low key; it's not even timed. Most people walk, and there's people of all sizes and ages. You're welcome to run, but nobody would even notice if you had to walk.

However, if you are competitive and you want to see your time, it may not be for you. For me, it was perfect to start out with, and I went on to do 2 more later in the summer that were competitive and timed, and I plan on doing more. Honestly, it's just a great time regardless. There's music, you get sprayed with color, everyone is super positive and happy. It's a fantastic atmosphere. I think it's worth it. :)
  • mrs_madame
    mrs_madame Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I ran one here in Ann Arbor a few months back as my first 5k. It was really great for my first race, no pressure and lots of fun! The color does take a few days to come off of skin/hair though, so if you have anything you need to be clean/fancy for the day after I'd be a bit weary. Because it was hot, a bunch of the powder turned liquid and got on my skin, but after about two days it was all gone.

I think it came out of my hair right away, but I have rather dark brown hair so I don't know if I just couldn't see it. Anyways though, awesome awesome 5k and I'd highly recommend it :)
  • TheMommyWifeLife
    TheMommyWifeLife Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Okay I know they had one recently around where I live, but can someone please explain to me what it is?
  • KLo924
    KLo924 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I did the Color Me Rad 5K and that was a lot of fun. I'm glad I'd done other races before, though, to know the difference. Overall I prefer regular races, where you're timed, and not inhaling cornstarch half the time lol. But, there was zero pressure (LOTS of people walking, and walking slowly) and it was super fun to get covered in crazy colors.

Sidenote: people who've done other color runs tell me you can sort of control how much you're colored - not so with the color me rad race I did. They attacked! :tongue: ...but I'm one of those people who would've sought out the color so it's all good
  • amymichelle1226
    amymichelle1226 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    You should absolutely do it! I did it last month and it was also my first 5k. It was SO fun....there's really no pressure to be the fastest, they don't even time it. I didn't run the whole thing, but I tried and ran a good bit of it. It's just so silly/awesome and it makes for some fun pictures and good times with friends! Definitely sign up.

Tips, get there early, traffic can be crazy. And close your mouth when you run through! I also wore some cute sunglasses that I just bought at Five Below and it helps keeps the stuff out of my eyes.

Also, I was so worried about where I would put my cell phone and car keys and such....but when you pick up your race gear, they sell little swooshy bags (haha I have no idea what they're actually called) and fanny packs for $5. I got a pink swooshy bag and it was perfect! I also brought plastic sandwich bags to keep my cell phone just as extra precaution.

After doing that, I want to do a lot more 5ks! I'm doing just a regular one next month but I want to do more themed ones (Mud Run, Glo Run, etc.).
  • AuddAlise
    AuddAlise Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    sounds interesting. but if its a relaxed environment, I don't see myself shelling out the money to participate.

Zombies however, sounds like a great race.

^^I'm signed up for the Run for your lives here in Temecula on Sunday! I CAN'T wait!!!!
  • BPayton27
    BPayton27 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I ran it on Oct 6 and it was by far and away the most fun I've ever had doing a 5K. It's not a chipped race so there is no need to feel pressured to run at an extraordinary time. The "color stations" are an absolute blast. If you don't want color on your face, the volunteers simply won't throw it there. I ran with friends in tutu attire and would do it again in a second. They have lots of things for sale the day of the race: hats, keychains, more paint, etc. if it is coming to your area I recommend it for a good time.
  • Babicam
    Babicam Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have signed up!!! It will be my first race in over 6 years. Thankfully it is a ''fun'' run. The race is Satuarday. I will do my best to update when done.
  • missmayeb
    missmayeb Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I did the Color Me Rad "run" in September and had a BLAST!!! Yes you get color on you and yes it is a FUN run but you can take it as serious or relaxed as you want. My girlfriend and I just ran and had a great time being silly and getting in a workout at the same time. We got entry for cheap because we went through Living Social. Check your local Groupon/Cheap Deals/Living Social websites for discounted entry into races like this one.

I would say if you don't mind having little blue stains for a day or so afterwards then DO IT!! There were so many people walking around Jacksonville after the race with color all over that no one really paid any mind to it and you felt like you were in a special club.

I have even signed up for another one in December. I bought extra entries for my husband and siblings for their Christmas presents and am making tutu's and funky socks for everyone to wear that day. We have a HUGE group meeting up to do it, The Rainbow Brites.

I think you will enjoy it!
  • rchupka87
    rchupka87 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I did the one in Cincinnati at the begininng of October. It was my veryfirstever 5k. I had never run before, so I used the C25k training app to prepare. It. was. AWESOME. Seriously, it was 100 times better than I had expected. I used both HumanaFit and Mapmyrun, and it came in at about 2 10ths of a mile over the standard 5K, but I started the app when the crowd started moving, not at the offical start line (about 2 city blocks)... so who knows - but it was close enough. It is not a timed race. Its all about the fun!!! They have music BLARING everywhere, people dancing, people in Tutus and wigs. I even saw a bride and groom. Literally in her wedding dress - it was her own "trash the dress" party!!! There are a LOT of people that walk - and it is impossible to run through the color stations - traffic really backs up because everyone wants to get covered. I even saw people rolling in the street trying to get covered with what made it to the ground. So, if you are **really** concerned about running the whole thing, and timing - and being clean - then this probably isn't for you. LOL But if you want to get a good workout in, see some crazy people, act like a crazy person, and run through a rainbow, then sign up. I LOVED it!!! Go look up some of the videos on youtube - THAT's what sealed the deal for me. =)

ColorRun.jpg