Caulifower

Options
TheRoadDog
TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
Saw a post last week about ricing Cauliflower. Tried it and loved it. Last night, I decided to do it again. Was ricing the cauliflower in a food processor. Got halfway done and dumped out the contents of the food processor. I put it back together and started to process the other half. Except.....when I dumped it out, I inadvertantly turned the cutting blade over. The second batch was thinly sliced instedad of riced. Almost threw it away, but I'm too cheap to waste a dollar's worth of cauliflower. Instead, I used the sliced cauliflower and made an Au Gratin.

Just prepared it as I would a Potato Au Gratin, except I used the cauliflower. It was very good. I have no idea of the nutritional content. Just a thought.

Replies

• sunshinesquared
    sunshinesquared Posts: 2,733 Member
    Options
    Yum!!! Cauliflower augratin sounds awesome. Thanks for sharing and for the new idea!
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Second post from a friend within fifteen minutes I've read about cheesy cauliflower, this must be a sign... :)

I have not yet tried ricing cauliflower but I do love to try new things. This along with spaghetti squash are definitely on the agenda for future meals.
  • daisiemae123
    daisiemae123 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Sounds yummy. I keep saying I am going to try ricing cauliflower but I have been addicted to roasted garlic cauliflower and end up cooking it like that before I get the chance. This is a sign. Going to try ricing some and turn the rest into au gratin.
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Great idea!!

I love my roasted garlic cauliflower recipe!!
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the heads up!!

Our Cauliflower was HUGE from our garden (we sort of forgot about it) so we are eating cauliflower EVERYTHING right now. I made some cauliflower creamy puree (aka mashed potatoes) and it was excellent as well.

I'll have to try this out since I have a second huge cauliflower head waiting to be used.
  • Nimiko
    Nimiko Posts: 52
    Options
    Yum! We always do mashed cauliflower instead potatoes. :)
  • jbrainz69
    jbrainz69 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm trying this today!!

Roasted Curried Cauliflower Recipe

Serves 2-4

Ingredients:

1 large cauliflower (or several small ones), ~2 lbs
    Curry powder
    Olive oil
    Kosher or sea salt
    Preheat oven to 500 degrees. Break cauliflower into medium-small florets and place into large bowl or baking pan. Be sure the pieces are as evenly sized as possible, or they will cook unevenly. The smaller you make the pieces, the quicker they will cook and the more caramelized they will become, which I consider a good thing.

Drizzle cauliflower pieces generously with olive oil and season well with salt and curry powder. Distribute evenly in a single layer at the bottom of a baking pan. If necessary, use a second baking pan to be sure the pieces arn’t too crowded.

Cover the pans with foil and place into the oven. Roast, covered for 10-15 minutes. The cauliflower should be slightly soft and start looking translucent. If not replace foil and cook another 5 minutes.

When the cauliflower has finished steaming, remove the foil and toss with tongs. Continue to roast, stirring every 8-10 minutes until the tips of the cauliflower begin to brown and become crisp as pictured. Approximately 30-35 minutes.

Adjust salt to taste (you will probably need another sprinkle) and serve.
  • sherrirb
    sherrirb Posts: 1,714 Member
    Options
    Saw a post last week about ricing Cauliflower. Tried it and loved it. Last night, I decided to do it again. Was ricing the cauliflower in a food processor. Got halfway done and dumped out the contents of the food processor. I put it back together and started to process the other half. Except.....when I dumped it out, I inadvertantly turned the cutting blade over. The second batch was thinly sliced instedad of riced. Almost threw it away, but I'm too cheap to waste a dollar's worth of cauliflower. Instead, I used the sliced cauliflower and made an Au Gratin.

Just prepared it as I would a Potato Au Gratin, except I used the cauliflower. It was very good. I have no idea of the nutritional content. Just a thought.

Oh MY! That sounds like an AMAZING idea!! I've been enjoying cauliflower in many different ways lately, I especially love my Loaded Cauliflower Casserole which is quite similar to Cheesy Potato Casserole.

Thanks for sharing this wonderful idea! Gonna have to try it soon!
  • shipshape55
    shipshape55 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    That's a great idea. I love cauliflower. My 2 dogs and I will sit and share a bowl of it raw. Can you imagine dogs sitting up and begging for raw cauliflower..............LOL
  • AmyP619
    AmyP619 Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    I have an amazing twice baked loaded cauliflower side that I prepare..it's phenomenal!!

Boil a head of cauliflower chopped into medium size pieces just until tender but still firm.
    Mash it up with a potato masher or electric mixer leaving some chunks
    Add 4 oz of reduced fat cream cheese..mix until combined.
    Mix in just a few strips of crumbled bacon, a few diced up green onions, 1/2 cup lowfat sour cream, 1/4 cup grated parmesan.
    Pour into a baking dish and top with a little reduced fat shredded cheddar cheese and a couple more strips of crumbled bacon. Bake 350 degrees for about 25 minutes until hot and bubbly....
    absolutely amazing!!!!!
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    I have an amazing twice baked loaded cauliflower side that I prepare..it's phenomenal!!

Boil a head of cauliflower chopped into medium size pieces just until tender but still firm.
    Mash it up with a potato masher or electric mixer leaving some chunks
    Add 4 oz of reduced fat cream cheese..mix until combined.
    Mix in just a few strips of crumbled bacon, a few diced up green onions, 1/2 cup lowfat sour cream, 1/4 cup grated parmesan.
    Pour into a baking dish and top with a little reduced fat shredded cheddar cheese and a couple more strips of crumbled bacon. Bake 350 degrees for about 25 minutes until hot and bubbly....
    absolutely amazing!!!!!
    sounds interesting :)
  • Dudagarcia
    Dudagarcia Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • njohnson1966
    njohnson1966 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • alvalaurie
    alvalaurie Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I can't stand cauliflower but this actually sounds good! Thanks for sharing!
  • BR3ANDA
    BR3ANDA Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Yum OP, sounds, delish!
  • sherisse69
    sherisse69 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    What a flippin fantastic idea!!!!! I love scalloped potatoes - this would likely be a great alternative! Thanks!