walking with weights

So I have heard two different answers to this question do you or don't you walk with weights? I am a new begginer on working out and have started by walking but is it ok to walk with weights?

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Hand weights yes, ankle weights no. Carrying extra weight and maybe doing some bicep curls while you walk is fine but ankle weights put too much stress on your knee and hip joints which will lead to injury. If you want extra weight, carry it.
  • prettyleelee
    prettyleelee Posts: 236 Member
    thank you thats what I was wondering I wanted to walk with 5lb weights in my hand and didn't know if it was a good idea.
  • I walk with 1-3 pound weights. Forces me to not clench my hands when walking and jogging (which I'm wicked prone to doing) and if you think about how much you swing your arms when you walk, it gives you just a little something extra for your arms.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Yeah, usually I walk with about 120lbs (60 in each hand.)
    Can't do it for more than a minute or so, but I'm getting better!
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    I wouldn't recommend it at all.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Can't be too bad for you: http://youtu.be/PEmx8aWpEWI

:-D
  • Emancipated_Tai
    Emancipated_Tai Posts: 751 Member
    when I first started, I would walk/light jog with 5 pound weights. I probably still could now, but I usually run 3 miles at a time and don't want to lug the extra 10 pounds the whole way! I wouldn't suggest ankle weights tho.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Hand weights yes, ankle weights no. Carrying extra weight and maybe doing some bicep curls while you walk is fine but ankle weights put too much stress on your knee and hip joints which will lead to injury. If you want extra weight, carry it.

^^^ This
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Yeah, usually I walk with about 120lbs (60 in each hand.)
    Can't do it for more than a minute or so, but I'm getting better!

lightweight farmer's walks essentially?
    I'll have to try that one day.
  • esl269
    esl269 Posts: 29 Member
    I tried some wrist weights for about two weeks when jogging got too easy... And, three years later, I still have tennis elbow and I curse my stupidity every time I work out.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    If you're talking about while doing cardio, your best bet is a weighted vest or well made ruck sack (so it doesn't jostle).

For farmer's walks get the heaviest you can hold and walk as far as you can.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    There is not much benefit to walking with hand weights. You will get little to no significant strength improvement (the only thing you will really become better at is walking with weights).

The question is: why would one want to do it?

1) "Strength training": as I mentioned before--no real improvement; the weight is too light, too many reps, not working to failure.

2) Increase cardio intensity: some people need to increase intensity, but cannot/do not want to increase speed. If you on on a treadmill, it is much more effective to walk at an incline than to walk with weights.

But say you are outside and can't control the incline--the increase in intensity that comes with doing arm work while walking comes from SWINGING THE ARMS--not from the weight per se. In other words, just walking carrying hand weights does almost nothing. Swinging the arms so that the thumbs reach the height of your shoulders DOES increase cardiac intensity, but for weights of 3lbs and lower, there is little difference between swinging the arms with weights and swinging them without. For 5 lb weights, the weight itself starts to add additional intensity, but it becomes much harder to sustain the arm swing.

3) Increasing the intensity by increasing the total weight you are hauling around. This is the argument used by those wearing weight vests or backpacks. And the answer is, yes, you can increase intensity by carrying extra weight. However, your need to add on more than a few pounds to have and effect and you are increasing the impact on your joints (just as if you were overweight). So I am back to: what's the point.

Hills and increasing speed are much more effective at increasing cardio intensity than carrying weights. If someone was unable to walk any hills and unable to totally opposed to running, there can be some benefit to walking with a weight vest or with poles, or an exaggerated arm swing.

But when you look at the physiology, there are much more effective ways to either burn more calories or increase upper-body strength than trying to walk with weights.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    I tried some wrist weights for about two weeks when jogging got too easy... And, three years later, I still have tennis elbow and I curse my stupidity every time I work out.

Feck. That's annoying. :(
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    If you want to walk with weights buying a weighted vest would be your best bet.

Otherwise, a farmer's walk (dumbells or special barbell) is a good way to do it that really gives you a full body workout.
  • prettyleelee
    prettyleelee Posts: 236 Member
    thanks everyone for the help I needed it this working out thing is new to me.