How does alcohol factor into weight loss?

Options

Replies

• Epernini0703
    Epernini0703 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Totally empty calories, but being in a social environment and not being able to drink because of diet is too hectic for me. I am on vodka, soda water and lime.. Its nice and refreshing. All of the buzz less of the bloat!

That is exaclty what I drink. flavored vodka, club soda and a lime. 66 cal per drink :) Much lighter than beer! I had a hard time because i used to only drink beer. I havent had one since memorial day, because it was the hardest to get rid of and made me feel like crap! I have no problems going out for a night with my friends and drinking the vodka. havent had a gain from it. just keep it to a minimum and be mindful. Eat a healthy meal before going out, and stay away from the bar food.
  • bigfatbino
    bigfatbino Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I've found alcohol to be a distinct progress halter for me. Even just one drink a day stops my progress it seems, regardless of how I watch my eating and exercise habits. So I curb my intake of alcohol to once every couple months, then enjoy in moderation. Because along with alcohol usually comes food (and who serves celery sticks with fine scotch or good beer, right?)
  • HollywoodDJ
    Options
    I like to drink as well and have been dismayed by the calories in alcohol BUT I will say I notice the weight comes off easier and faster during times when I don't drink versus times when I do...even ONE night can set me back...And I will drink the 55 calories Bud Select....My advice is...Don't drink....have your nights where you treat yourself to a night out once in a while....don't be rigid....but do know that your actions may have consequences as far as weight goes!

Good luck.....Still live your life but be wise too
  • timmymon
    timmymon Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    You are in college and should be having fun whenever you want. Enjoy your drinks on the weekends when you are with your friends and work hard each and everyday to improve your body. If you work hard and eat right then drinks on weekend nights are going to do nothing to hurt your success.
  • mitchellkd
    mitchellkd Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Drinking alcohol signals your brain and body to metabolize the alcohol first. So it basically cuts your fat metabolizing process down by as much as 72%. And most people eat when they drink, so your food isn't getting properly processed during this time.
  • steph0924
    steph0924 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    alcohol calory called empty calory It is like simple carb but has no benefit to your body. It is harmful to you skin as it increase free radicals.
    I just can tell you super models avoid drinking alcohol and sugar.
    You'd better give it up.

I can't help it: supermodels just choose cigarettes and cocaine :smokin:
  • jodienc1
    Options
    I cut out M-F drinking (along with exercise and careful eating) and dropped 20 pounds in 7 weeks. Alcohol is sugar. Empty calories and provide zero nutrition what so ever.

I limit myself to one or two glasses of wine a weekend, count the calories and make up for it with extra exercise. I don't eat back my excercise calories ( on the advise of my Physician) I have lost 65 pounds over the last 11 months. I've reached my goal and very happy!

If you're serious about weight loss and a new you, it's going to take compromise and lifestyle change.
  • toya316
    toya316 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I totally agree, I do so gr8 during the week but as soon as the weekend roll around... I party and drink the entire weekend.. I don't even count calories on the weekends b/c I couldn't even stand to know the calorie intake from my alcohol consumption.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Just drink Vodka Soda waters, or Bacardi, and Diets, and then dance it off at the club, or at home with your boyfriend after the club, and you will be fine.
  • KLo924
    KLo924 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I've heard all sorts of mixed things about the effects of alcohol on weight gain/loss so I won't try to speak to that. However, I can say from experience that I eat more crap when I've been drinking, for sure.
  • medibrat
    Options
    I see a lot of things here that are false information: supermodels who don't drink (REALLY? Do you watch the news?)
    -alcohol makes you fat: NO. Over consumption of empty calories and sitting on your *kitten* make you fat
    -alcohol doesn't figure in weight loss: NO. I've lost 11lb since joining MFP, 15 in the last 3 months. It CAN figure in your weight loss.

The bottom line: EVERYTHING IN MODERATION. Some people have a sweet tooth. Some need to have a bag of chips. I like to have a few drinks now and again. I make sure to eat properly (and enough!) before I drink. I log every.single.drink. And I don't feel guilty for any of it. Binge drinking (going out and drinking excessively) is not healthy. We all know that. But how many on here smoke? Tan? If you make your weight loss regimen too rigid, you will never stick with it. It needs to be a sustainable lifestyle change, NOT a life of deprivation. Just make smart choices! :)
  • MrsCCWoods
    MrsCCWoods Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I think it's ok every now then as long as you are not drinking like crazy every weekend
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    My husband can drink 30 beers a week and still lose. Me I have 2 shots and I gain.
  • disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Calories are calories but I have read that alcohol increases cortisol production and supresses fat metabolism. It can also stimulate the appetite so, after a few drinks and decreased inhibition, that plate of deep-fried whatever might be irresistable.

Beer is my #1 weekness but I defnitely have better results when I avoid it or limit to just one day a week. And I just can't do the low cal/carb Ultra 64 type beers.
  • Sammyj389
    Options
    It's not only the calories that alcohol adds to the daily totals. Alcohol is a depressant. Think about how you feel the day after you have been drinking? Do you really want to work out? How much energy do you have?

I've done my share of drinking and still like drinking wine -- sometimes even too much! But, I really choose my times and limit my intake because I want to have the energy to work out and be active. For me, too much alcohol affects my energy levels. This isn't the case for everyone, but if you are concerned, this is just something you might want to pay attention to.

This isn't to say you shouldn't go out and have lots of fun and make alcohol a part of it. Just be aware of how it affects you.
  • omgitsgarry
    Options
    If you want to drink, you might want to wait on your weight loss until you are done with partying. It sounds like fun sucking advice, but trust me, partying and weight loss do not go hand in hand. We did the biggest loser at work and no matter how much one girl tried to starve herself and drink on the weekends, she gained weight or stayed the same. Alcohol is a cruel mistress. What helped for me was just stop drinking in general or realizing that when I did drink, I was going to gain.
  • bigchef1
    Options
    I have always been a liberal drinker, never early mornings. Day time, nite time, weekdays, weekends. I have never really had any rules, mostly because I am a chef. In our industry is not all glitz and glamour. It's hard work long hours and alot of stress so after a shift all you think about is cold beer and being in the food industry you know where all the specials are, it's to easy. After a long time of cheffing, It can take over and the calories are never far behind trying to catch your waist line. After a week of working out and being on MFP I have seriously changed my drinking habits and eating habits as well. I would say everything in moderation is ok just be true to yourself and you will always win!
  • KeithChanning
    KeithChanning Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I see a lot of things here that are false information: supermodels who don't drink (REALLY? Do you watch the news?)
    -alcohol makes you fat: NO. Over consumption of empty calories and sitting on your *kitten* make you fat
    -alcohol doesn't figure in weight loss: NO. I've lost 11lb since joining MFP, 15 in the last 3 months. It CAN figure in your weight loss.

The bottom line: EVERYTHING IN MODERATION. Some people have a sweet tooth. Some need to have a bag of chips. I like to have a few drinks now and again. I make sure to eat properly (and enough!) before I drink. I log every.single.drink. And I don't feel guilty for any of it. Binge drinking (going out and drinking excessively) is not healthy. We all know that. But how many on here smoke? Tan? If you make your weight loss regimen too rigid, you will never stick with it. It needs to be a sustainable lifestyle change, NOT a life of deprivation. Just make smart choices! :)

Absolutely. It seems to me that many equate drinking with hangover, feeling ill and all the other effects of drinking too much. I have two small glasses of red wine most evenings - just under 200 empty calories. I have room for them within the budget for a pound and a half loss per week and my programme is going very well; thank you.
  • blueboxblues
    blueboxblues Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I was a moderate drinker (I guess?) and once I stopped drinking as often I dropped 6 pounds in like, 2 1/2 weeks; it was absurd. Now if I wind up eating light during the day and/or exercising I might reward myself with a cocktail, but other than that I just really only DRINK drink once or twice a month. A day here and there is going to be a total detriment if you're making healthy choices the rest of the time, but Thursday-Saturday drinking every week will make the fitness process slow-going.
  • pinthin87
    pinthin87 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    One thing I can say about alcohol is that it turns into straight sugar inside of the body. So too much is probably not a good idea for weight loss, however, it sounds to me like you are drinking in moderation. I think if you are not getting trashed on the weekends then you should be good. Also, hangovers are for the birds and it certainly doesn't make you want to workout the next day. :-)