HOW DO YOU STAY MOTIVATED?

Options
I have been consistently working on clean eating for about 7 weeks now, and on MFP with exercise, etc... for about 2 1/2 weeks. I had not made much progress on the scale and I am just feeling a little frustrated and unmotivated.

HOW DO YOU ALL STAY MOTIVATED EVEN WHEN YOU DON'T SEE PROGRESS?

Replies

• ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    2 1/2 weeks isn't nearly long enough to see results. Unless you have a lot of weight to lose, it will come off slowly, which is the right way to do it. Keep working out, eating less than you burn off and it will work.
  • nokuperus
    nokuperus Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Two weeks after you start exercising isnt enough... my SW was 260 as of Aug 1.. CW is 244... and I eat healthy, dont eat back workout calories and work out 4-5 times a week doin cardio for 1 hr each session and weights for 30 min.. I didn't notice weight loss until I started taking my measurements in month 2 - the scale started moving the most closest to month 3..
    I would suggest taking measurements and monthly full body pictures to compare to each other - This is how i stay motivated because my scale doesnt move that much and i have been at it for 3 Months now. I know im building muscle and thats why the scale inches its weigh down.
  • guardian419
    guardian419 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    After a time it's not motivation, it's willpower. Even if the scale isn't moving, positive things should be happening. Check other sources of positive change before you give up.
  • SocWkrBee
    SocWkrBee Posts: 374
    Options
    Bump. I just asked this same question to my timeline. What I got from their answers is that you have to want it for yourself. Whatever that reason may be, run with it. Some people do it to look better, others to feel better, and some so they can perform better. No matter what it is, find it and stick with it. Then, change it once you hit a target.

For me, I have been at this for four months and have lost 9 pounds. I could have lost more, but I have not been all the way committed. That is why I posed the questions. However, that is still nine pounds gone. Heck, if I keep going at this rate, I will have lost 27 pounds in a year and that is with half-a*sing it!

Don't give up just yet. No matter what, just stive to be better than you were yesterday.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Give it time. You're not in a race to get to a finish line - the only thing that matters is that you get there.

Keep logging on MFP, track your exercise too, and know that you're doing the right things. The scale isn't always an accurate reflection of the hard work you're putting in. Sometimes it's the clothes that fit better, the more easily you can do things like keep up with others, etc.

If you're MFP'ing accurately, then the numbers should catch up with you at some point, and sometimes it takes longer than 2 weeks.

I've noticed over the last 15-18 months, that my weight loss goes in cycles. I'll lose 2-3 pounds each week for a few weeks, then .2, or .4 or stay the same for a few weeks. I can see the trends on all the charts to know to just keep with it, and it'll start downward again soon enough...but I'm not competing against anyone to lose the weight...just trying to lose it. As long as it's going downward, I'm happy.

Keep it up - you can do it!
  • laurenw1992
    Options
    The scales aren't the holy grail in weight loss, i find the measuring tape is often much more accurate. I'm a steady 11 stone, but inches are still coming off :)
  • Dhemeyer
    Dhemeyer Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    This is what works best for me...
    First, I take pics of myself regularly. This helps me stay away from the scale (which always gives my confidence and motivation a serious beating) and it helps me see the progress on ME rather than in a number. Sometimes I'll share these pics with others too. We get used to seeing ourselves, which can make it more difficult to see the pay out of our hard work. So it can be seriously helpful to hear from others if you're finding it difficult to see the progress.

Secondly, I ask for all the support from others that I can get. There are 4 support groups I'm a part of that are ready and willing to give me the boost I need when I'm feeling frustrated or defeated. Plus when I need to kick it up a notch I'll join a challenge group for that added intensity and accountability.

You're not alone in what your feeling... and you'll likely find yourself in this place again regardless of the progress you will eventually make. Keep in mind that what you learn today will help you in the future. Try not to be too hard on yourself or too eager. And don't be afraid to ask for help!

Best wishes :)
  • jothekid
    jothekid Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I watch a video that I found on youtube...for some reason, the message really gets to me and I find it to be a very inspirational speech! Type in 'Adam won't lose' and it's called something like motivational training pt.3
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    I remember the reasons I began to lose weight and change my priorities in order to live in a healthier environment for myself and my loved ones. That helps push me through the times of self doubt. Truthfully I wouldn't want that lifestyle back so I keep moving forward doing things that make me feel better, stronger and healthier both physically and emotionally. That's how I stay motivated :happy:
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    my scale hasn't moved in a few months, but I see progress in the way I feel, I can lift more and more weight, I can run farther, I'm in smaller jeans that fit perfectly.

But my motivation comes from wanting to be in the best physical condition of my life, I like living and want to do it for a long time with out proscriptions, or the assistance of a medical team. I want to set an awesome example for my friends, family and future children<-- that is where most of the motivation comes from(our first is on it's way).
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options

Well, what's the alternative ...... to give up ???

That's NOT gonna happen :drinker:
  • Culley34
    Culley34 Posts: 224
    Options
    If you're looking for pointers to stay motivated, if you have a smart phone -- make the picture one that you detest (I know people that use one when they were at their heaviest). You typically always have it and you'll always see it. If that's not motivation, I don't konw what is...

Other people keep the picture in their wallet or purse.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    Set some non-scale fitness and nutrition goals. It means more to me that I'm in control of my eating habits than anything else, so the weight loss has been a pleasant bonus, but it's not my main objective.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I set several long and short-term goals. For example, a short term goal would be to lose 5lbs and then get a pedicure or fitness clothing. A long term goal is walking 1,000 miles this year to raise money for St. Judes. That one worked well because I have sponsors who have agreed to pay me a penny per mile who hold me accountable and watch my mileage and fundraising progress on FB. :)
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I set other goals that are not weight loss related. Typically fitness related. Train to run a 10k. Train to do 100 pushups at a time. Join a sports team.
  • NikkiSmo
    NikkiSmo Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh but once a month (sometimes I go even longer) becaue I would much rather see a 3lb loss in a month than a 0.5lb loss in a week. When I'm feeling down I remember why I wanted to start this process in the first place and that usually helps. You also need to understand this is a lifestyle change not a diet, so if your having trouble eating right than your not allowing yourself some of your favorite things in your meals. I could never give up carbs so I make sure I plan for them, I also love comfort foods so I'm always looking online for low calorie options for the food I love. The first little bit is the hardest becasue your body and mind are used to eating whatever you craved without thinking. Now you have to be mindful of what you put into your mouth and that can be a daunting task - again at first! Eventually it will become 2nd nature. Good luck, pick yourself up and dust off your body will thank you for it tomorrow!
  • JennONeill
    JennONeill Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I felt the same way you did during my first couple of weeks on MFP. It took a month on MFP before I started seeing a difference on the scale.. definitely don't give up! If you stick with it you will see a difference!

To stay motivated, I try to switch up my exercise routine when I find myself getting bored. Find something you enjoy doing.. I recently started doing zumba as my workout routine and I have soo much fun doing it that I actually find myself looking forward to it everyday!

And like others have mentioned taking photos and using a measuring tape can be more motivating than stepping on the scale.

I find reading the success stories on MFP motivating as well, so I try to make a habit of checking them regularly. Its nice to see how far other people have come and shows me that it is possible to lose weight!
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options

Well, what's the alternative ...... to give up ???

That's NOT gonna happen :drinker:

:drinker: