Scared of the Scale

Options
Tomorrow I have my weigh in with my trainer. I have been working hard. I increased my excersise and I am hoping I see a difference tomorrow. For the first few weeks of my "plan" I did nothing and actually gained weight. So I cut down on my carbs and stayed with it. Then last I only last 1/2 a pound. So tomorrow I return and I am scared.

I am scared that if I weigh in and I have lost nothing I will quit. I need some sort of reinforcement that all this work is paying off.

Any one else feel that way?

I need a success story or something - I appreciate your support

Replies

• emilymonnig
    Options
    I feel your pain and wish I had a success story to share...I've been busting my butt and eating 1200/cal/day for six weeks and have lost ZERO weight. Putting a lot of time and effort into something and not seeing results is super frustrating, but nothing is accomplished by giving up. If I make positive PERMANENT changes, I will lose weight and be healthier and feel better about myself. It may not be happening exactly on the time frame I'd hoped for, but it will happen. All good things in time! If it were easy, you'd have done it already :)

Emily
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I quit being scared of the scale. Mostly because I feel like I have enough data that shows I should be going in the right direction.

Make sure you journal EVERYTHING on your food journal.
    Get a Fitbit or something like it - that way you can better monitor your activity. It also gives you charts that shows calories burned vs. calories taken in...as long as the burned line is above the other line, I'm going to lose weight - and that's pretty much held true.

If for some reason I do gain, it's usually because I wasn't paying attention and drank a few glasses of water before going to weigh in.

Make sure you get in your water. And focus on lean, healthy proteins, and the carbs and fats will take care of themselves.

(Oh, and I've lost 102 pounds!)
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    The scale is relatively unimportant. If you're eating the right amount and working hard, then you'll probably lose fat.

Why are you cutting back on carbs? Carbs can be very good!
  • bufger
    bufger Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Its about eating right and exercising long term to reach a goal, if one scale reading means you quit then you'll need to sit and think about how much you want this.

Tell me one overweight person thats been on a calorie defecit and exercised over the course of a year that hasnt lost weight... If the scale is going down, no matter how slowly then thats a win, if its going up its a step towards death. Think of it as drastically as that if it helps.
  • ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    To be honest, I'd fire your trainer. Ignore the scale! It is soooooo 20th century. Being healthy is about seeing it over the long term in our bodies(measurements/looser fitting clothes) and how we feel. The scale eventually catches up if you are exercising and eating less than you are burning off. Don't be scared of the scale, don't use it!
  • taramc1970
    taramc1970 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your thoughts!