NUTS! Good or not??

Options
Ok, so I went to a local cafe for my lunch and tried to pick the best choice. I had a field green salad with dried cranberries, walnuts and grilled chicken - I even skipped the cheese. Well, I come in and log this into the database thinking it was a great lunch. Come to find out the walnuts alone were 200 calories and 20 grams of fat!! It might have been more because who know how much was really on the salad. -- I thought I was doing good, but was my 700 calorie lunch really a good choice? UGH!

Replies

• Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    Good
    Very good

Yes, it's not good to eat tons of them, but in moderation they are wonderful. They are full of healthy fats and protein to help you stay full. Just try not to buy ones that are full of extra salt or oils.
  • mrsgiffin
    Options
    I have a question about nuts?! Which ones are the good ones? And how many for each serving? I am scared to buy nuts because I will get carried away with them. Any advice?
  • rkascak
    rkascak Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I always try to get some healthy fats from nuts, and they keep me full. So next time you get a salad with walnuts, maybe push someoff to the side if you dont have the calories to spare! But the fats from nuts is better than the fat from cake
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    I have a question about nuts?! Which ones are the good ones? And how many for each serving? I am scared to buy nuts because I will get carried away with them. Any advice?
    They are all good for you, high in mono and polyunsaturated fats, have protein and some have a bit of fiber. It depends on the nut and how big of a nut it is as to how many in a serving.
  • firepixie
    Options
    They are good if you buy the natural ones, with fiber and good oils. Roasted, salted or artificially flavored... not so good.
  • Ang8178
    Ang8178 Posts: 308
    Options

I eat a small amount of nuts during the week. I like almonds :heart: OK so here's what I do since I don't own a scale.... I buy a bag of almonds then I buy a box of "snack size" zip lock bags. Normally a serving size is one ounce. I lay out papertowels and divide the bag into 16 piles. (the bags I buy are 16 ounces/1 pound). It may not be exact, but pretty darn close.

I throw a bag into my purse and if I'm stuck somewhere I can't eat I'll just eat half of the bag so I don't go over my fat intake for the day.

I just googled this web site you may find useful. Not all the info in the world on nuts, but it breaks down the diff types and why they are good for you.

http://www.nutcrackermuseum.com/history_nuts_good.htm
  • Ang8178
    Ang8178 Posts: 308
    Options
    OK here's another site, I'm just a short kinda answer gal though, but this site did have more info...

http://www.webmd.com/cholesterol-management/features/nuts-help-lower-bad-cholesterol
  • Questfor250
    Options
    I love nuts but I don't want to use calories to eat them. But sunflower seeds in a salad makes a world of difference. I love almonds and gratefully my local Giant carries Emerald 100 Calorie Roasted Almond packs. Ang, FYI 100 calories is 17 almonds. Giant also carries almond and walnut packs for 100 calories. Made by Emerald. Look for them.

Mike
    Questfor250