No muscle soreness after a workout

Options
So this sounds odd but is it wrong that I do not ache the day after a weights session? I have started NRLFW and did my 3rd session yesterday. I lifted as much as I could and was challenged during the workout.. I really expected that I would be sore today..and I am not..

Why not? Do I need to do more?

Replies

• re1096
    re1096 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    BE THANKFUL! I used to be the same way.. work out like crazy and felt nothing. then I started running now all I do is hurt. Trust me it will come.
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Soreness or lack of is not a good indicator of a workout that would or would not produce results. Usually once you lift for a bit you don't really get much in the way of soreness. Normally it would be a couple weeks or so, not 3 sessions, but whatever.
  • nturner612
    nturner612 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    good question. i went back to bodypump last saturday and could barely walk sunday.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    I'm never sore if I do my "comfortable" workouts, but if I push it and switch it up, I"m bound to be a little tender. If you are making gains in strength I wouldn't worry about it.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I'll just leave this here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delayed_onset_muscle_soreness
    Although delayed onset muscle soreness is a symptom associated with muscle damage, its magnitude does not necessarily reflect the magnitude of muscle damage
  • SimonIsChanging
    SimonIsChanging Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    As long as you kept strict form, stuck to your rep ranges and felt challenged during your workout then DOMS is not an indication as to whether you worked hard enough or not. Some people hurt after and some don't. You are lucky lol, i have DOMS from my leg workout 4 days ago.
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Are you on a low carb diet? Years ago I did Atkins, and I didn't get muscle soreness wwhile I was on it.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I've noticed in myself (and from what I hear, this is perfectly normal) after your body adapts to a sequence of movements while loaded with weight, you won't really feel much in the way of post-workout muscle soreness ever again, not even by increasing the load. The only way to really trigger that again is to introduce new loaded movements into your routine. This doesn't mean you're not producing the desired effect! Do not make the mistake of assuming that just because you can walk without hobbling the next day that your legs haven't been sufficiently worked. They just have adapted to the point where the experience is no longer painful.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Once I get settled in to a routine for a while, I don't get sore even if I work a muscle group to exhaustion.

Usually, I get some mild DOS when I switch things up. I see it as an indicator that I successfully shifted gears.
  • InkedBeauty89
    InkedBeauty89 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Im doing new rules as well and the only time im sore is usually the first two workouts of a new stage.
  • Farburnfred
    Farburnfred Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Thanks all, of course after posting this now it will hit me like a ton of bricks tomorrow morning! Interesting that people have such different experiences..and that DOMS are not indicative of how hard you have worked..you live and learn :)
  • StarkLark
    StarkLark Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I usually only get really sore the second day after a big workout. The first day after I think I'm fine then BAM! day number two and I'm hobbling around :laugh:
  • guardian419
    guardian419 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    *edit* I should read more posts before I speak... yeah, DOMS... natural, goes away, be happy it doesn't hurt so good, just remember to let your body recover.
  • Briko3
    Briko3 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Thanks all, of course after posting this now it will hit me like a ton of bricks tomorrow morning! Interesting that people have such different experiences..and that DOMS are not indicative of how hard you have worked..you live and learn :)

My experience is that it takes a FULL 24 hours before I start to feel sore and then I get more sore for around 8 hours after that. I've also experienced (although many years ago) that I never really got sore if I took creatine and drank a lot of water. Not sure if it was the water or creatine, though.
  • Elle408
    Elle408 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I never really hurt after a workout... I mean, my legs will feel like jelly for a couple of seconds but them I'm ok and don't feel any aches afterwards. I can only think of two or so occasions in the past year where i've been really sore afterwards and I know I'm getting results from my workouts so it's not like I'm not working hard enough!
    I have a connective tissue disorder (EDS) that makes me a bit more bendy so I always thought it was that, there's no research into that though! lol