Ladies...LIFT HEAVY or do a million reps?

Options

Replies

• curvykim78
    curvykim78 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    i flip 300 pound tires ... and i dont do it a million times.so you can simply assume which theory I dissprove by not being bulky, and having excellent calorie burn workouts.

Where do you find those at?
  • embercakez
    Options
    Like most I agree with lifting heavy!
  • curvykim78
    Options
    I've been lifting heavy, so I'm on the right track I guess. I would just like to see my arms with more definition... My stupid scale won't budge very much lately, thanks to a stupid plateau I'm trying to get through. Anyone have any good arm exercises in mind?
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Heavy. Who has time for a million reps?

I don't remember the last time I did pushups. I can do them. I just don't. Same goes for crunches.
  • Xaspar
    Xaspar Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    My humble opinion:
    If you can do more when you are done, you aren't done.
    If you are lifting weights that don't make your muscles struggle and scream, you are not building muscle, you are using what you already have. But counter that with responsibility for what you are doing to yourself.
    Go heavy, but go smart too!
    Don't over-do it but definitely do it with a weight that you can't do a lot of!

I started Stronglifts 5X5 a few weeks ago ... The workout isn't long or complicated, but as my weights go up, they are certainly challenging. I haven't hit the point where I need a spotter yet, but expect to get there soon. And I am loving it!
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy.
  • 2012asv
    2012asv Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I'm aiming for somwhere in the middle like 8-10 reps. Heavy enough that it's hard but light enough to do at least 8.
  • dewgirl321
    dewgirl321 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Not sure what exercises you're doing. Make sure you're doing specific exercises to target triceps since that's the area of your concern. All the bicep curls you can handle won't help your triceps.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Lift HEAVY. If you can easily do more than 10 reps, it ain't heavy enough. :drinker:
  • rachelrb85
    rachelrb85 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I've done lighter weights and more reps for about 5 years with ZERO results. I was stupid and listed to those girly fitness magazines. I've been lifting heavy for about 3 months and have seen SUCH an improvement. Much more muscle definition and lost inches everywhere, especially my waist and hips.
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy weights as stated in previous posts/replies

If you want to see a difference you can't just do bicep curls -- what is your routine? Do some tricep workouts and work to build all the arm muscles not just focus on one.

COMPOUND LIFTS :) ARE YOUR FRIEND (dead lifts, thrusters, squats..ya know!)
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy. Lifting five pounds weights isn't going to get you anywhere. I mean, if your purse weighs more than what you lift, what good are you doing?

The other advantage of lifting heavy is that it's way less time consuming. Back when I was lifting and had access to a gym, I could get in a pretty good full body workout in about half an hour doing usually three sets of 8-15 reps, doing maybe 6-8 different exercises.
  • piinchi
    piinchi Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I got the book New Rules of Lifting for Women, and its been excellent. Its helped me feel more confident lifting heavy. People can say "lift heavy" but I didn't really know what that meant exactly. There are exercises you can do that perform compound moves, i.e. a pull-down or a squat, that work more muscles better than isolation exercises like bicep curls or crunches. It helped me anyway. I'm already seeing some serious changes in definition.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    I've been lifting heavy, so I'm on the right track I guess. I would just like to see my arms with more definition... My stupid scale won't budge very much lately, thanks to a stupid plateau I'm trying to get through. Anyone have any good arm exercises in mind?

The most important lifting is lifting your scale. To toss it out the window. :bigsmile:
  • curvykim78
    Options
    Lift heavy weights as stated in previous posts/replies

If you want to see a difference you can't just do bicep curls -- what is your routine? Do some tricep workouts and work to build all the arm muscles not just focus on one.

COMPOUND LIFTS :) ARE YOUR FRIEND (dead lifts, thrusters, squats..ya know!)

I mix it up and do a little bit of everything. :)
  • curvykim78
    Options
    Lift heavy. Lifting five pounds weights isn't going to get you anywhere. I mean, if your purse weighs more than what you lift, what good are you doing?

The other advantage of lifting heavy is that it's way less time consuming. Back when I was lifting and had access to a gym, I could get in a pretty good full body workout in about half an hour doing usually three sets of 8-15 reps, doing maybe 6-8 different exercises.

LOL at the purse comment!! :)
  • Elle408
    Elle408 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Definitely lift heavy, but you do have to lose that body fat first... or during I guess. I got to my goal weight before hitting the gym and it only took a few weeks to start seeing a difference with heavy lifting, after a few months I had the definition that I wanted!
  • curvykim78
    Options

The most important lifting is lifting your scale. To toss it out the window. :bigsmile:

I LOVE YOUR WAY OF THINKING!!
  • scrumdidlly
    scrumdidlly Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy. If you want definition you want to trie in 8–10 reps. If you worried about the outside of your arms focus on kickbacks or something like it. You should do them before your curls to maximize the strength in your arms.
  • DeanneLea
    DeanneLea Posts: 261
    Options
    Bump.

Also, it is harddd to lose bf while lifting heavy lol. Any suggestions?