Strength training off days & C25K

Options
I just started the couch to 5k program and was wondering if it would hurt to do some strength training on the off days?

Replies

• omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    No. In fact, it will help you. All summer I biked on my off days from running and I saw some good improvements on my running.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    They go great together - I continued my regular workouts as I went through c25k, and I still follow the same pattern of running three days, and strength in between.
  • wolfgate
    wolfgate Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Nope - if your legs feel a little sore or heavy take it easy on the leg ST, but otherwise, good to go.
  • jwatson7
    jwatson7 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I do strength training on my nonrun days. (did it even when I first started C25K back in June) I run M, W, F and do 30 Minutes to Fitness Weights (DVD) on T, Th, and Sat. I take Sundays off. I like to do both. I can really tell a difference in myself and my body with doing both the cardio and strength training.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    It's a great idea to do both.

I lift weights M-W-F and run on Tuesdays, Thursdays and either Saturday or Sunday, depending on how I feel. One weekend day is rest day.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I just started doing this myself. Lifting MWF, C25K Tue, Thur, and Sat. :)
  • tigerdactyl
    tigerdactyl Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I started strength training during C25K and it absolutely helped my running speed and stamina. I thought that it would bog me down, but I found myself increasing my pace every run. This is assuming that you'll be working out your lower body. Squats and deadlifts did the trick for me.
  • ilmpk
    ilmpk Posts: 6
    Options
    Thanks for the help.

For those of you doing cycling on your off days, what level of workout are you doing? Light/Moderate/Heavy? Just wondering in case I decide on throwing some cycling in there also.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I could do a long workout. But I took days off too. So, typically I would run a day, bike a day (1 to 1.5 hours) and then rest a day. I almost always take the third day as a rest day.
  • robpett2001
    robpett2001 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Strength training will support your running. And running will support your strength training. It's the Yin/Yang of fitness! :)
  • ilmpk
    ilmpk Posts: 6
    Options
    Another quick question, on those C25K days, is that the only thing that you do? Or is it possible to get some light strength training in before / after the run?

I'm not trying to bulk up in my strength training, just trying to tone up. So I have been following the Activtrax workouts based on the equipment at my local YMCA. What I did for the first day was a light warm up on the stationary bike (1-3 minutes), follow through with my Activtrax strength training, and then my C25K daily. Seemed to work out well, and I wasn't struggling with finishing the C25K either.

I just don't want to over exert myself and injure something.
  • robpett2001
    robpett2001 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I know some people around here who will do both on the same day -- working their upper bodies on days that they run, and doing lower-body workouts on non-running days. I think it comes down to how much time you wish to devote to it. And you DO need to give the muscles you're working a day to recover and rebuild. That is just as important as the workout itself. So doing C25K _daily_ is not such a great idea, and risks an overuse injury.

My workout (ahem, when I'm being more diligent than I have been recently...*adjusting his collar*) is to run two weekdays and one weekend-day, and do burpees (which work a broad range of muscles) three days a week, with one rest day in there somewhere.

If C25K is feeling way too easy, don't be afraid to jump ahead a bit and try something a little more challenging. I found that even though there were a couple weeks that I had to repeat, there were also times when I jumped ahead a day in the program. It's all about YOU!

Best wishes!