RUNNING and Protien Drinks

Options
Hello My fitness Pals,
I am currently training for a 10K in addition to doing P90X and/or Jilliam Michael's DVD's. I have been eating 0 sugar/ Low Carb for about 3 months. Recently, I have been having a tough time eating enough calories (the past few weeks I've been eating between 900-1000 calories a day no matter how much I workout). I really don't feel like I should force myself to eat more just for the calories. I haven't noticed a huge energy deficit but know I can do better in regards to my running. I'm wondering if a pre-workout protien drink might be a way to give me a boost during my run as well as give me added nutrition and calories. Anyone out there know of a pre-workout protien drink option that works well?

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    A pre-workout drink should contain an energy source that rapidly available - carbs. Protein drinks are usually used to help repair and rebuild muscle tissue damaged during exercise - ie after your workout.

If you're going to be a runner carbs are your friend. You need glycogen.......
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Ummm between 900 and 1000 before you subtract exercise calories?
  • crimznrose
    crimznrose Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    A pre-workout drink should contain an energy source that rapidly available - carbs. Protein drinks are usually used to help repair and rebuild muscle tissue damaged during exercise - ie after your workout.

If you're going to be a runner crabs are your friend. You need glycogen.......

I'm not sure how the crabs aid in running, but carbs are definitely needed for endurance running. The crabs on the other hand sound like tasty incentive for after the run.
  • capnwo85
    capnwo85 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Running + low carb. Not ideal, especially if you're training for any sort of race. Unless you don't care about giving forth your best effort.
  • doobabe
    doobabe Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Protein shake prior to running is a BAD idea. Its going be a lump in your stomach, and either give you cramps or at the least slow you down IMO. Thats what it does to me.............. Carbs before a run is best....... I have found oatmeal works best for me. The protein shake should be saved for AFTER your longer runs. Just my personal opinion.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Hello My fitness Pals,
    I am currently training for a 10K in addition to doing P90X and/or Jilliam Michael's DVD's. I have been eating 0 sugar/ Low Carb for about 3 months. Recently, I have been having a tough time eating enough calories (the past few weeks I've been eating between 900-1000 calories a day no matter how much I workout). I really don't feel like I should force myself to eat more just for the calories. I haven't noticed a huge energy deficit but know I can do better in regards to my running. I'm wondering if a pre-workout protien drink might be a way to give me a boost during my run as well as give me added nutrition and calories. Anyone out there know of a pre-workout protien drink option that works well?

I'm a long time runner (short and long distances, 5k up to 50 miles) as well as weight lifter, for over 30 years now. I've found that special drinks and protein powders, pre and post workout supplements are not necessary. All you need is a good balanced diet within your calorie budget. Carbs are not bad, too many calories are bad. You only need enough protein (and carbs!), not extra. I run hard and lift hard and get all I need from just real food, no special expensive supplements.
  • samlankford
    Options
    yeah if your bonking during any exercise you need to add maybe about 100 calories mostly a "complex carb" maybe a baked potato or something.. I use the results/recovery drink (only one scoop) after I workout, but that is about about an hour before I eat dinner... think gatorade makes a "prime" drink and they also have stuff you chew before you workout but never used them...
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Save the protein drink for post run. And, low carb and distance running is a recipe for disaster. You need a good balance of carbs including natural sugars in fruits and veggies. Your endurance on the long runs will bump up if you incorporate some fast carbs pre-run and a decent stream of healthy carbs throughout the rest of your diet.
  • Faintgreeneyes
    Faintgreeneyes Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    To give me energy before my runs I used to eat oatmeal about an hour- hour and a half before hand and a banana 30 mins prior. I never cramp up and it helps me with energy. Also make sure you are hydrating as well. I know that if I try to run and have not been drinking water I feel tired, and sluggish.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

I'm not sure how the crabs aid in running, but carbs are definitely needed for endurance running. The crabs on the other hand sound like tasty incentive for after the run.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • knowwhentoshutup
    knowwhentoshutup Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Carbs are NOT the enemy. Protein offers great benefits to your muscles and helps repair them after workouts, but won't help you succeed like having enough carbs will.

I have been doing P90x and trained for two half marathons this year. That is A LOT to expect your body to do. I suggest you read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12 and learn what your body needs.

I switch my macros depending on my focus, and upped carbs to prepare for my half marathon in September. Now, I am back to 40(c)/40(p)/30(f). I have seen the best results when upping my carbs to 55%, especially for races.

Bottom line - don't cheat your body. Food is fuel.
  • kmorganlfc
    kmorganlfc Posts: 115 Member
    Options

Maybe the crabs are useful for learning to run sideways..
    :tongue:
  • dixiech1ck
    dixiech1ck Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I've been running for a year now and like one of the first posters said, carbs are your friend. I like either oatmeal or an english muffin/bagel before a run. Afterwards, I drink a nice big glass of chocolate milk. It's got the right balance of carbs, sugars and proteins you need to refuel and rebuild the muscles in your system. You definitely need to eat, no question about that and carbs are good in moderation. Just don't overdo it. You may burn alot through running, but you also retain a lot (ie. water, lactic acid, etc.)
  • fitblondebaker22
    Options
    Um... More calories period will give you energy to get through your run. You can't be an avid runner and function on 900 calories ESPECIALLY on top of your other workouts you're doing. Eat more, you'll feel better during your runs!
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    Hello My fitness Pals,
    (the past few weeks I've been eating between 900-1000 calories a day no matter how much I workout).

crash.jpg
  • MrsPixelbark
    MrsPixelbark Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I don't use any special supplements: I have used protein shakes in the past, but I tended to have those after a weight lifting session at the gym. For a long run you need carbs- so anything from a jacket potato, to jelly babies (a lady who runs halfs at my running club swears by jelly babies before/mid/after run).

Personally, I don't tend to eat anything special on shorter run days (read beneath 3 miles), but on the days where I do 6 miles and up I'll make sure to have a few extra carbs. So, normally I tend to have one 'big' carb a day (so bread with lunch, a potato etc) but on long run days I'll try and have two. However, I'm very much of the notion that for shorter runs you don't need anything, and until I'm closer to running a half I won't be supplementing myself with much outside of my calorie goals.

However, when I get to running halfs, I can't wait to take my jelly babies with me. :D
  • MtnKat
    MtnKat Posts: 714
    Options
    Holy crap girl! You need to eat more!

No wonder you are bonking out on your runs!

900-1000 is not enough calories to fuel your body in a coma.....why would it fuel your run?
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    You are training for a 10k and doing p90x etc and getting by on 900 or so calories a day?? your body needs fuel..I'd say your protein intake is the very least of your problems right now. you are doing exercises that are fuel demanding...and you either can't, won't or simply refuse to fuel to serve your body. fix that then worry about protein.
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    You aren't fueling your body...your organs need more than what your netting to function and 900 isn't enough for your organs to function on way less than that.

You're doing extreme exercises and expecting your body to exist on ? negative net calories because I'm guessing your burning somewhere to the tune of >600 calories with your exercise. 900-600=300....your providing your organs maybe 300 calories to exist. That is simply not enough and carbs and sugar is not BAD. Processed carbs and sugar=bad.....whole grains and fresh fruit are good fuel for your body. You need to start eating more for the sake of surviving.

Here are a couple of links to see what you should be taking in:

http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

http://www.iifym.com/tdee-calculator
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options

So there's this app like "Run Zombies, Run" but it's called "Run Crabs! Run". It's set in a post-nuclear holocaust time when radiation has caused the mutation.....