Is Hummus good for dieting?

Options
13»

Replies

• lilscuder
    lilscuder Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I have become addicted to hummus. Yes, it's high in fiber which makes it filling for me. I put some on a Ry Krisp cracker,which is fat free and only 50 calories for 2 fairly large crackers I especially like Trader Joe's brands of Hummus. I don't know if you have one where you live. The Mediterranean Hummus, Jalepeno Cilantro, are especially very yummy. Garbanzo beans are a healthier fat. Nice snack. I also, Love the Edamame (Soybeans) with a splash of sea salt. Again, fiber, and satisfying. mmm think I shall have some of both today.
  • kimcmillan
    Options
    I use it in wraps too!!1
  • TMR001
    TMR001 Posts: 37
    Options
    It's tasty and very nutritious. It's great addition to your diet in moderation. Make your own and you can control the calories better. Premade probably has a lot more oil than necessary.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Which brand of chickpeans you use makes a HUGE difference!

Unico is 170 cals per ½ cup while Great Value is only 110! GV is also much lower in sodium. Come on Unico, you aren’t representing Canada as the slim nation we are with #’s like that, lol!

I’ll take the 78 cent great value ones thanks!
  • ebolax
    ebolax Posts: 1
    Options
    Ditto here! For convenience I go with Sabra 2 oz size.. but I'm pretty bummed that its 150 calories.. with my veggies and jerky, my lunches can top 500 calories! disappointing... albeit all healthy... at least i go workout right after but still... i'd like to find a less caloric convenient hummus.
  • fattypattybinger
    Options
    I don't have issues eating hummus because I eat only 2 tbsp. I like it on apples. I never really thought I would like it it is a change from Peanut on Apples.
  • DesireeLovesOrganic
    DesireeLovesOrganic Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I love it. My favorite is the cayenne hummus, California Snax brand. It's hard to find though. I usually stock up when I do! It's organic and raw, made from sprouted chickpeas. Spicy! Yum! It never affected my weight loss but I don't worry about healthy fats.
  • tdhighfill
    tdhighfill Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I love it. My favorite is the cayenne hummus, California Snax brand. It's hard to find though. I usually stock up when I do! It's organic and raw, made from sprouted chickpeas. Spicy! Yum! It never affected my weight loss but I don't worry about healthy fats.

yum yum yum. I love hummus and I agree - I think great for weight loss as it is a healthy fat. I haven't found this brand - but I make my own and add lots and lots of cayenne pepper. The spicier the better - makes me eat more and more veggies. So it all works.

My recipe is very similair to the very first post. I put it all in my food processer and them stream in the olive oil

1 3/4 Cup low sodium chick peas - drained
    2 Tbsp tahani paste
    1/4 C olive oil
    2 tsp garlic minced
    1/4 C lemon juice
    1 tsp cayenne papper

Yields 2 cups - 137 cal for 1/4 cup serving, 10 cards, 10 fat, 3 protein, 111 sodium, 2 fiber.

worth every calorie.
  • SandraCWoody
    SandraCWoody Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I was told by a nutritionist to use is as a meal with pita bread or as a light spread on a wrap. It is too high in calories for a snack unless you dip veggies in it instead of chips or crackers. :flowerforyou:

I've lost 14 lbs with My Fitness Pall!
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    The hummus I had last week was only 80 calories for 2 tbsp, and it made baby carrots a lot more interesting.
  • supermodelchic
    supermodelchic Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Love Hummus, it is ground chickpeas & olive oil so lots of fiber but it does contain calories so I would not eat a whole cup of it, and it can give you gas:bigsmile:
  • twilasue54
    twilasue54 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Love Hummus, it is ground chickpeas & olive oil so lots of fiber but it does contain calories so I would not eat a whole cup of it, and it can give you gas:bigsmile:
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    If you make your own you can know exactly what goes into it and you can alter the calories. Add in a food processor 2 cans garbanzo beans, 1-2 cloves of garlic, 1/4 cup lemon juice, 1/8 tsp salt, and a tbsp of olive oil. To make it taste really great add tahini (1tbsp) which is sesame paste. If you're on a diet the tahini is a good thing to leave out because it's high in fat. Process for a few minutes. You can make different types but this is the most basic.

It's delicious and fresh :) I mean when you think about it you're just eating beans and a bit else. It makes a nice big amount.

*edit: Don't buy the sabra or whatever it's called in the store. It has the texture of butter and I believe that it's very fattening (not sure, I didn't like it) :/ The equipment they use to process it is used for margarine...not that that means that there is margarine in it, but it has the same consistency.

Good tip. I leave out the tahini too and I make mine at home.
  • lamilli09
    lamilli09 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    If you make your own you can know exactly what goes into it and you can alter the calories. Add in a food processor 2 cans garbanzo beans, 1-2 cloves of garlic, 1/4 cup lemon juice, 1/8 tsp salt, and a tbsp of olive oil. To make it taste really great add tahini (1tbsp) which is sesame paste. If you're on a diet the tahini is a good thing to leave out because it's high in fat. Process for a few minutes. You can make different types but this is the most basic.

It's delicious and fresh :) I mean when you think about it you're just eating beans and a bit else. It makes a nice big amount.

*edit: Don't buy the sabra or whatever it's called in the store. It has the texture of butter and I believe that it's very fattening (not sure, I didn't like it) :/ The equipment they use to process it is used for margarine...not that that means that there is margarine in it, but it has the same consistency.

Two things:
    - making your own hummus is a great way to cut back on calories :) however, tahini paste is one of the central ingredients to hummus.
    - I buy sabra hummus regularly. In my opinion, it tastes pretty good. It's not as great as homemade, but when I don't have the time to make my own, Sabra does just fine. Also, it does have more fat in it per serving... but eating foods with fat will not make you fat :) Just make sure you're keeping track of your nutrients!
    0145528 Posts: 25
    Options
    My favorite hummus recipe so far:

It comes from www.food.com, the spices are variable based on personal preference of course, but overall was very tasty.

3 garlic cloves, minced, more if you like
    1/4 cup plain low-fat yogurt
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    1 teaspoon olive oil
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon paprika
    1/8 teaspoon pepper
    1 (19 ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
    1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
    Directions:

Mix everything together in a blender. Add more yogurt till you get the consistency you want, then chill it.

Serve with your choice of dipping snack. (Pita chips, veggies, etc)

Serving Size: 1 (105 g)
    Servings Per Recipe: 6
    Amount Per Serving % Daily Value
    Calories 123.3
    Calories from Fat 17 14%
    Total Fat 1.9 g 3%
    Saturated Fat 0.3 g 1%
    Cholesterol 0.6 mg 0%
    Sodium 373.2 mg 15%
    Total Carbohydrate 21.8 g 7%
    Dietary Fiber 4.0 g 16%
    Sugars 0.8 g 3%
    Protein 5.1 g 10%
  • xxnellie146xx
    xxnellie146xx Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    I make a yummy homemade spiced sweet roasted red pepper hummus that is 23 calories per serving(makes 8 servings).
    http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/Spiced-Sweet-Roasted-Red-Pepper-Hummus/Detail.aspx

If I don't make it, I buy Grandessa Roasted Red Pepper Hummus and it's only 50 cals for 2 tablespoons.

Thanks!
  • wiltl
    wiltl Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Love hummus! Good source of fiber, good fats and protein. I now eat it with carrots or other raw veggies, and measure things out. 2 tbs and a serving of carrot sticks keeps me full for a while, and the calorie count is generally lower than a protein bar.

I do like to roast my own garlic cloves in olive oil, and then use those cloves in my homemade hummus. Then, you also have garlic infused olive oil for cooking other stuff!

If I buy it, its either the Athenos brand or the one at Costco. They both have the usual ingredients.
  • jagspal
    jagspal Posts: 75
    Options
    I love hummus it is tasty and filling, but I have to watch what I eat it with veggies a good option, crackers not so much!
  • xoyasminxo
    Options
    Hummus is great for you. Not sure about weight loss because it has tahini and olive oil, but they are healthy fats and you do need healthy fats to be healthy. However it really is great because, like a lot of others said, you can really eat a lot of raw veggies with it. The chickpeas in it are a great source of fiber and protein as well. And eating it as a veggie dip will help with weight loss because you are getting a lot of raw veggies!
  • ritoosh
    ritoosh Posts: 190
    Options
    its good and its better to make it on ur own :D