Avacado's are throwing off my fat count!

Options
I love Avacado's. Either in the morning for breakfast or as a snack. I think Avacado's in moderation are GREAT for you. But then my whole fat count is off. I am already -43. Does this mean Avacado's are not as good as I thought. I thought they were good fats. Should I disregard my fat count?

Replies

• ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    As long as you're doing decent with your overall calories, I'd say that you're fine.
    If you're way over on fat, make sure you still get your protein in, and just go a bit lighter on the carbs.

What are your percentages at?
  • justlistening
    justlistening Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Avocados are absolutely awesome! I am trying to incorporate them into my diet more. I will at most have 1/2 of one for a day. I would reduce your other sources of fat.
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    They're great, love them too, but I'd limit it to 1/2 of ONE per day, max. Too many cals & not filling enough.
  • EccentricDad
    EccentricDad Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    Avocados are healthy fats though. Maybe you should focus more on your carb count instead? The likelihood of your fat count causing you to gain weight is unlikely as fat is used to repair your cells/organs; carbs on the hand are almost strictly energy sources and need to be burned. Sure, some carbs have function for our body like fiber and like veggies/fruits providing micronutrients, but all carbs are energy and over-consumption of energy would result in energy being pushed to organs/muscles for burning and the excess stored as fat when energy becomes scarce. Of course, this is assuming you are over in calories too. You can't gain weight at a deficient from your TDEE.

So yeah, limit the carbs and eat ALL THE AVOCADOS!
  • anemoneprose
    Options
    One avocado is ~250-330 cals. If you've only got 1500, or even 1800 to play with, it's easy to get hungry or overeat later. EFAs or no, smarter to limit them *a bit*.

re fat, macros, cal targets - would have a look at previous diaries and think about what balance made you feel best & most sated.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    Options
    One avocado is ~250-330 cals. If you've only got 1500, or even 1800 to play with, it's easy to get hungry or overeat later. EFAs or no, smarter to limit them *a bit*.

re fat, macros, cal targets - would have a look at previous diaries and think about what balance made you feel best & most sated.

if you've only got 1500 to play with, you should be more active...........
  • DesireeLovesOrganic
    DesireeLovesOrganic Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I eat at least half an avocado every day. I go over on my fat almost every day too (coconut oil + nuts + avocado.) I actually started losing more when I upped my healthy fats (I still stay within my calorie range though.)
  • knitterly
    knitterly Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I eat avocados for breakfast. I make guac with 1/4 avocado, lime juice, salt, and garlic, spread it on a piece of wheat toast, and top it with an egg (cooked, of course.) It's nicely satisfying, if a bit odd.
  • anemoneprose
    Options

Yeah, except people respond differently to activity. If exercise made me hungrier (doesn't me, but does to some) and I ate more to compensate, it'd be more or less the same, **from the POV of fat loss**.
  • EccentricDad
    EccentricDad Posts: 875 Member
    Options

Yeah, except people respond differently to activity. If exercise made me hungrier (doesn't me, but does to some) and I ate more to compensate, it'd be more or less the same, **from the POV of fat loss**.

Exercise SHOULD make you hungrier. Your body wants calories so it can operate and repair!

If you are eating a sedentary lifestyle's worth of calories and exercising but not eating your calories back then you are doing your body a HUGE disservice; especially if your net calories are under your REE (resting energy expenditure). How will your organs/muscles/brain function without the proper amount of calories/energy to operate them? It would be like trying to use an electric stove during a brown out...
  • ilovedeadlifts
    Options

[/quote]

That was basically my point though.
    sedentary and eating 1500.
    or active and able to eat 1800. If I'm eating at maintenance, the fat loss would remain the same, but I'm not at least able to have an extra 300 calories per day because I offset it with excercise.

I'd personally rather bust my butt training and be able to eat more.....
  • StephanyJDingman
    StephanyJDingman Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the replies on Avocados! Sorry I never responded, I completely fell off the wagon much like a drunk who happens into a bar... such a battle.
    Anyway, I have decided to only have avocado twice a week just because I love them and I don't think that is too much. I am trying to add more protein, but I am not a fan of meat or beans, so that is hard. I have purchased whey protein powder, but not sure what I am going to do with it yet. I was never taught how to eat "right", so this has been an eye-opening and overwhelming experience. Thank you all for your input, I appreciate it.