You'll weigh ___lb in five weeks

Options
So, I've been on here for about four weeks.
I expected some sort of reward? Like I have been burning off so much energy from exercise and eating a lot less, and it says every day that I would weigh 125lb in five weeks.

Thing is, that's what it's been saying since day one. And if anything I Have gained weight.

I don't get it.

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Mine is always wrong. MFP thinks I will only lose 1/2 pound per week with my calorie intake/exercise, but in fact, I am averaging two pounds per week. There are many variables that come into play.
  • ShamaraRobyn
    Options
    You don't have a lot to lose- it's easier to plateau. :)
    MFP doesn't factor in that it's hard to lose weight if you reach that point and don't eat back your exercise calories.
    Which you should make sure you are. Are you?
    Best of luck!
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Mine has pretty much said the whole time that I would be gaining weight. I just ignore it.
  • Lindsay_N
    Lindsay_N Posts: 100
    Options
    I asked a question like this the other day, because mine keeps going up even though Ive been right around the same net calories every day :S
  • Moshebelle1
    Options
    There are SO many factors that go into how much weight you'll lose each week (excercise, current weight, how long you've been dieting/eating health) I feel like there's no way they can be accurate. Although I like that it says I'll lose about 10lbs in 5 weeks, I don't put much stock in it. MFP has helped me see what I'm eating and how I can improve, but I don't think they can really know where I'll be in five weeks ; )
  • nturner612
    nturner612 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    i was thinking about this myself. lol
  • Brujah1981
    Brujah1981 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    MFP also doesn't auto adjust your weight, so unless your weighing yourself regularly and updating your profile it will keep assuming you're at the same weight and in five weeks would lose that same 10lbs.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I expected some sort of reward? Like I have been burning off so much energy from exercise and eating a lot less, and it says every day that I would weigh 125lb in five weeks.

Thing is, that's what it's been saying since day one. And if anything I Have gained weight.

I don't get it.

LOL it tells me I will lose weight for a year now but I've gained (but it's okay for me because it's recomposition and I'm already 11% body fat). I did lose 60 lbs by eating less (after checking with my doctor!)

Always check with your doctor! But this is what worked for me:

Your body loses weight in chunks, not linear. I have found that you can do everything right and your weight loss seems to plateau but if you are patient and keep exercising and eating at a deficit (however slight) you will lose it, it will suddenly "whoosh". There are so many variables for the scale; water retention, digestion, hormones, allergies, sodium, carbs, water intake, DOMS, inflammation, the list goes on. People mistakenly think they lose or gain weight when they eat more or less because of these fluctuations.

Losing weight requires tremendous patience. You will not lose it when you want it or where you want it. The body does its thing. Some apparent plateaus can last a month or so. You cannot make it happen faster. You must focus on two things; calories and exercise. Nothing else matters. Scales and metrics don't matter. The day in and day out grind of exercise and calories are all that matters. It is not very exciting until things fall into place. You get your victories and you ride one victory to the next.

The scale is a trend tool. The scale is good but put it away and only check once a week and only use it as a trend tool. It will fluctuate, it does not matter. Take front side and back progress pictures at least once a month. You will see differences that the metrics won't tell you and it's that little bit of NSV that will keep you going until the next victory.

Some people will say you need to eat more. Some people will say you need to eat less. Only you can decide or check with your doctor. But what would make the most sense? Taller people have more room in their calorie budget to go up or down. Shorter people like me have less room and get frustrated with "eat more" because that typically does not work for us. If you are confused about it don't just listen to any of us, do some research and get approval from your doctor, then just do what you need to do and tune the rest of us out.

It really depends on your RMR. If you are short like I am then your RMR is really just above the 1200 limit so you really don't have much room for a calorie deficit and going up is less likely to work. If you are taller you will have a higher RMR and can go up or down and still be in a deficit so you can lose no matter what. All that matters is a calorie deficit. If you are short it can be hard to have a deficit at 1200 or above so your only option is to check with your doctor. I did and he agreed and had me go down.

Exercise is to make your lean body mass pretty, strong, and healthy (especially lifting weights).

A calorie deficit is to lose fat. A calorie budget keeps your fat level where you need to be, either losing fat or maintaining.

Nothing else really matters much.
    What is the exact number of calories for you?

We’ve been trying to figure out an exact NUMBER of calories that everyone should be eating, without recognizing that everyone is slightly different. In truth, the calories aren’t the end game. Your body is. So the EXACT amount of Calories that are right for you is the EXACT amount that will allow you to maintain your ideal bodyweight no matter what some calculator or chart says.

In other words, an online calculator might tell you that you need to eat 2,500 calories
    per day to maintain your ideal bodyweight. But the only way to know for sure if this is
    the right amount for you is to test it out. If you gain weight or can’t lose weight eating
    that much, then you know you need to eat less to lose weight no matter how many
    calculators and text books say otherwise.

This doesn’t mean your metabolism is broken, it just means the estimate of your needs
    was just a bit off.

-John Barban (The Body Centric Calorie Guide from the Venus Index and Adonis Index Manuals)
    The Theory of Fat Availability:
    •There is a set amount of fat that can be released from a fat cell.
    •The more fat you have, the more fat can be used as a fuel when dieting.
    •The less fat you have, the less fat can be used as a fuel when dieting.
    •Towards the end of a transformation, when body fat is extremely low you
    may not have enough fat to handle a large caloric deficit anymore.

At the extreme low end, when your body fat cannot ‘keep up’ with the energy deficit
    you've imposed on your body, the energy MUST come from SOMEWHERE. This is
    when you are at risk of losing lean body mass during dieting (commonly referred to
    as ‘starvation mode’). This happens at extremely low levels of body fat, under 6% in
    men and 12% in women [Friedl K.E. J Appl Phsiol, 1994].

-Brad Pilon and John Barban (from The Reverse Taper Diet in The Adonis Index and Venus Index manuals)

Ever since I finally lost the 60lbs and went from Obese to super fit I've realized that tiny people like me simply need less calories than most other people. Even now as healthy and vibrant as I am, with 100's of people stalking my diary, I get questioned almost daily about my calories seeming to low. Why do people ask when they don't even know my height or RMR? Since I'm so small my RMR is only 1380 and that is based on my recent DXA scan which isn't nearly as accurate as going to a lab and blowing into the tube several times to fine out a more accurate number, but it is certainly more accurate than an online chart. I will never be able to eat the 2000 calorie diet everyone thinks is necessary, I'm just too small for it.

Never again will I let anyone tell me what to eat, when to eat, or how much to eat. I learned what works for me. I OWN IT. No one will ever pressure me to eat birthday cake at a party or anywhere else, I DECIDE. No one else decides for me. I eat when I want to eat and I don't eat when I don't want to eat.
  • FabMrFox
    FabMrFox Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    It's kinda like a magic 8 ball its only 98% correct
  • oOMusicBabii
    Options
    I just looked at your diary...most days you are under 1000 calories and then you exercise on top of that. My guess for why you aren't losing is that you're not getting enough calories or nutrition.
  • Skinny_minny_mo
    Skinny_minny_mo Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    mine says that i'll be losing weight - and i dont! :sad:
  • mksitz
    mksitz Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're taking in enough calories. I snooped your food diary and a couple days you only logged 600-700ish calories, or it was around 700 net after exercising. Your body needs more fuel than that! I'm no pro, but I've noticed that I can eat a lot more calories than I previously thought, without gaining weight. I'm just maintaining right now, but I make sure I eat enough, and if I workout, I usually eat those calories back. The important part (and one I'm not totally great at yet) is just making sure it's good foods you're eating. More real food, less processed stuff.
    Also- what exercises are you doing that burn 1000-1700 calories? That's a pretty amazing burn. Make sure you aren't over training. Everyone's different, So I can't say how many calories exactly you need.. or what overtraining would be for you. Sometimes its a trial and error kind of thing, you have to find a combination that works best for you.
  • Bridget0927
    Bridget0927 Posts: 438 Member
    Options

I don't get it.

LOL it tells me I will lose weight for a year now but I've gained (but it's okay for me because it's recomposition and I'm already 11% body fat). I did lose 60 lbs by eating less (after checking with my doctor!)

Always check with your doctor! But this is what worked for me:

Your body loses weight in chunks, not linear. I have found that you can do everything right and your weight loss seems to plateau but if you are patient and keep exercising and eating at a deficit (however slight) you will lose it, it will suddenly "whoosh". There are so many variables for the scale; water retention, digestion, hormones, allergies, sodium, carbs, water intake, DOMS, inflammation, the list goes on. People mistakenly think they lose or gain weight when they eat more or less because of these fluctuations.

Losing weight requires tremendous patience. You will not lose it when you want it or where you want it. The body does its thing. Some apparent plateaus can last a month or so. You cannot make it happen faster. You must focus on two things; calories and exercise. Nothing else matters. Scales and metrics don't matter. The day in and day out grind of exercise and calories are all that matters. It is not very exciting until things fall into place. You get your victories and you ride one victory to the next.

The scale is a trend tool. The scale is good but put it away and only check once a week and only use it as a trend tool. It will fluctuate, it does not matter. Take front side and back progress pictures at least once a month. You will see differences that the metrics won't tell you and it's that little bit of NSV that will keep you going until the next victory.

Some people will say you need to eat more. Some people will say you need to eat less. Only you can decide or check with your doctor. But what would make the most sense? Taller people have more room in their calorie budget to go up or down. Shorter people like me have less room and get frustrated with "eat more" because that typically does not work for us. If you are confused about it don't just listen to any of us, do some research and get approval from your doctor, then just do what you need to do and tune the rest of us out.

It really depends on your RMR. If you are short like I am then your RMR is really just above the 1200 limit so you really don't have much room for a calorie deficit and going up is less likely to work. If you are taller you will have a higher RMR and can go up or down and still be in a deficit so you can lose no matter what. All that matters is a calorie deficit. If you are short it can be hard to have a deficit at 1200 or above so your only option is to check with your doctor. I did and he agreed and had me go down.

Exercise is to make your lean body mass pretty, strong, and healthy (especially lifting weights).

A calorie deficit is to lose fat. A calorie budget keeps your fat level where you need to be, either losing fat or maintaining.

Nothing else really matters much.
    What is the exact number of calories for you?

We’ve been trying to figure out an exact NUMBER of calories that everyone should be eating, without recognizing that everyone is slightly different. In truth, the calories aren’t the end game. Your body is. So the EXACT amount of Calories that are right for you is the EXACT amount that will allow you to maintain your ideal bodyweight no matter what some calculator or chart says.

In other words, an online calculator might tell you that you need to eat 2,500 calories
    per day to maintain your ideal bodyweight. But the only way to know for sure if this is
    the right amount for you is to test it out. If you gain weight or can’t lose weight eating
    that much, then you know you need to eat less to lose weight no matter how many
    calculators and text books say otherwise.

This doesn’t mean your metabolism is broken, it just means the estimate of your needs
    was just a bit off.

-John Barban (The Body Centric Calorie Guide from the Venus Index and Adonis Index Manuals)
    The Theory of Fat Availability:
    •There is a set amount of fat that can be released from a fat cell.
    •The more fat you have, the more fat can be used as a fuel when dieting.
    •The less fat you have, the less fat can be used as a fuel when dieting.
    •Towards the end of a transformation, when body fat is extremely low you
    may not have enough fat to handle a large caloric deficit anymore.

At the extreme low end, when your body fat cannot ‘keep up’ with the energy deficit
    you've imposed on your body, the energy MUST come from SOMEWHERE. This is
    when you are at risk of losing lean body mass during dieting (commonly referred to
    as ‘starvation mode’). This happens at extremely low levels of body fat, under 6% in
    men and 12% in women [Friedl K.E. J Appl Phsiol, 1994].

-Brad Pilon and John Barban (from The Reverse Taper Diet in The Adonis Index and Venus Index manuals)

Ever since I finally lost the 60lbs and went from Obese to super fit I've realized that tiny people like me simply need less calories than most other people. Even now as healthy and vibrant as I am, with 100's of people stalking my diary, I get questioned almost daily about my calories seeming to low. Why do people ask when they don't even know my height or RMR? Since I'm so small my RMR is only 1380 and that is based on my recent DXA scan which isn't nearly as accurate as going to a lab and blowing into the tube several times to fine out a more accurate number, but it is certainly more accurate than an online chart. I will never be able to eat the 2000 calorie diet everyone thinks is necessary, I'm just too small for it.

Never again will I let anyone tell me what to eat, when to eat, or how much to eat. I learned what works for me. I OWN IT. No one will ever pressure me to eat birthday cake at a party or anywhere else, I DECIDE. No one else decides for me. I eat when I want to eat and I don't eat when I don't want to eat.

Your my hero!:wink:
  • smtillman2
    smtillman2 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Just looked at your food diary and it looks like your eating fewer than 800 calories a day. I'm sure that is the problem.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Welcome to the world of eating less does not mean losing more. The closer to a normal weight the smaller your deficit needs to be. At your weight, you should be aiming to lose 1/2 lb per week and eating 50% of your exercise calories back. In fact, its hetter to work on body reconposition where you eat 20% below tdee and do heavy weight training. This along with a high protein diet will allow you to maintain your muscle and cut fat. This would probably put you around 1800 calories total... give or take your exercise routine. Kind of goes against everything you hear right?
  • Geri1943
    Options
    I've just started and the first day I was so excited because MFP said I'd be on the way in five weeks. Every day I actually eat about 100 calories less that it calls for and every day MFP keeps raising the number. According to that I'm losing ground and three pounds heavier that first predicted. I think I'll be okay if I just stick to the number of calories in a day.
  • Sweetsugar0424
    Sweetsugar0424 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    What people don't seem to get about the 5 week thing is that it says "If you do this exact day every day for 5 weeks, this is what you'll weigh". Does any of us ever do the exact same thing every day? I certainly don't and mine will change by close to 10 lbs from one day to another because I eat the same amount of calories every day, but I don't work out every day so some days I'm going to lose crazy weight and others I am going to gain. While I think it's fun to see what would happen if I did kickboxing every day, that's not a reality and I would never use that as a guide to my weight loss.
  • tartansheep
    tartansheep Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    how come you lose weight if you're doing more exercise and eating less?