It seems too soon to hit a plateau

Options
I started getting serious about losing weight just a little over 3 months ago and have adapted to a healthy routine since then, sticking to my calorie goal and excercising 4-5 times a week. I knew a plateau was inevitable (though we never really prepare ourselves for it) but I always heard they generally happen after 6 months so I'm a little discouraged mine happened kind of soon. Granted I am at a weight that many would consider "normal" for my age and height, so I'm assuming it definitely has to do with that. Anyone experiencing a plateau and what are some ways to push past it?

Replies

• ascotton80
    ascotton80 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    how many weeks have you been at the same weight?
  • EccentricDad
    EccentricDad Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    First see what calorie you're supposed to be eating at here:
    http://www.calorieline.com/tools/tdee

Then go to my home, goals, change goals, custom goals, and change your %'s to read:
    40% carbs, 30% protein, 30% fat or 45/25/30 to start with.

Eliminate all breads and processed sugars from your diet like:
    Gummy worms, weight watcher pastas, chips, and breads.
    The only carbs you should be eating are fruits and veggies.

Make sure you eat your protein grams. You don't seem to be vegan or vegetarian so this should be easy.
    If you don't have a lot of time, eating canned meat like tuna or chicken is better than none.
    If you want, you can even take a protein powder, but you NEED protein to repair your muscles and maintain your "fit" look under the fat.

If you are serious about weight loss, you have to lose the addiction to empty carbs (carbs that have no nutritional value).

That's my advice. Good luck.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    First see what calorie you're supposed to be eating at here:
    http://www.calorieline.com/tools/tdee

Then go to my home, goals, change goals, custom goals, and change your %'s to read:
    40% carbs, 30% protein, 30% fat or 45/25/30 to start with.

Eliminate all breads and processed sugars from your diet like:
    Gummy worms, weight watcher pastas, chips, and breads.
    The only carbs you should be eating are fruits and veggies.

Make sure you eat your protein grams. You don't seem to be vegan or vegetarian so this should be easy.
    If you don't have a lot of time, eating canned meat like tuna or chicken is better than none.
    If you want, you can even take a protein powder, but you NEED protein to repair your muscles and maintain your "fit" look under the fat.

If you are serious about weight loss, you have to lose the addiction to empty carbs (carbs that have no nutritional value).

That's my advice. Good luck.

^Lol, no.

Plateaus happen. But, for it to be considered a plateau, you should not be losing any weight or inches for a period of months (not days or weeks!). How long have you been stalled? What is your current calorie intake? What is your current weight? Goal weight?
    And you are right that being in the "normal" range has a lot to do with it. The closer you get to your goal, the harder it is to lose. Typically, if you are within 10-15lbs of your goal weight, you should be aiming to lose about 0.5lbs a week.
  • Andrea3030
    Options
    I think the advice to up protein is a great idea. OP's diet looks to be heavy on refined carbohydrates. It may be helpful to shake things up.