Who has a Fitbit? And does it really help?

Options
I have a Polar FT watch that I use when doing cardio to track calories burned. But that's it. The rest of my day is a guesstimate based on all the crazy calculators out there. How many of you wear your fit bit every day and did it really improve your weight loss/fitness?

Replies

• kenlad64
    kenlad64 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Great question, I too want to know if others are experiencing weight loss or just increased fitness?
  • Starleng
    Starleng Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mkerdock
    Options
    I have the fit bit and another friend of mine. I LOVE IT!
  • ponyfan81
    ponyfan81 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I lost over 60 lbs after getting my fitbit, and I consider it to be invaluable in my weight loss journey to this point. Wearing it has helped me more accurate estimate my activity level so that I eat enough (even on non-workout days), and it challenges me to climb more flights of stairs and take more steps than I would otherwise.

I can't recommend it enough, although I think the benefit of the sleep monitoring is a bit overinflated (though I do like the altimeter for stairs). There are a few cheaper fitbit versions now that I would probably buy instead given the price difference of $40 or so.
  • Lazygal53
    Lazygal53 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • RockinSkiBunny
    RockinSkiBunny Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Ive been using one for two weeks now and I make sure to take 10,000 steps a day. If after dinner I'm not close i get my butt outside for a walk until I get there.
  • Crazibaker
    Crazibaker Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I just got a fitbit this weekend and yesterday was the first time I used it all day. It seemed to work really well, counted all of my steps and calories and synced with MFP for an "adjustment" for the end of the day. I liked seeing how I had progressed throught the day!
  • think48
    think48 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies so far! I was just reading about the fitbit calculating workout calories - does it do that as well? Like going for a hard run, is it accurate in that, or would I need to double up and still wear my HRM?
  • candctaber
    Options
    LOVE my Fitbit and am very lost if I forget it at home!
  • caitlyn30
    caitlyn30 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I've worn it every day for months, I just toss it in my pocket in the morning, and take it out when I go to bed.
    I think it helps because it is like.. I only have 6000 steps today, I have to go for a walk to get to 10,000.
  • morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    I have one but really I don't think helps with weight loss. I just like to see how many steps i take a day. The more walking, the better!
  • jlbeals
    jlbeals Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I've got one, and I like it quite a bit. I use it in conjunction with my Polar FT4 because the fitbit isn't very good at estimating calories/workouts that aren't step related. It's fairly close when I use the elliptical, but not so much for kenpo or strength training. It does really help motivate me though - it's cool to see how many flights of steps I've gone in a day and miles traveled and steps taken. I rather like the sleep monitoring too - I've struggled with insomnia most of my life so I find it kind of interesting to see what my days were like on the nights I slept better or worse than usual.
  • bridgelene
    bridgelene Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I love my fitbit, but just a word to the wise -- if you have a mac, syncing may be a PITA. I've gone back and forth with support and basically, if I close my laptop -- a macbook pro -- I have to uninstall and reinstall it (it takes about 4 minutes total for me) for it to sync. So now during the day I leave it open, and just do the uninstall/reinstall in the mornings. They said that it is a problem that some mac users experience, and their engineers are working on a permanent fix.
  • Mandysp82
    Mandysp82 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I love my fitbit! It definitely helps me keep up my fitness level, and lose weight. At night, I just keep walking until I reach the goal I've set for myself. I highly recommend it. There is a new one out that syncs with your cell phone - I would get that one because right mine only syncs while I'm at work and I have to go the whole weekend until it syncs again.
  • morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies so far! I was just reading about the fitbit calculating workout calories - does it do that as well? Like going for a hard run, is it accurate in that, or would I need to double up and still wear my HRM?

I wear the Fitbit and HRM while I run or Zumba. Also, I had an easy time syncing it to my Mac! I could not get it synched to my PC!
  • lovemykids58
    lovemykids58 Posts: 195 Member
    Options

HRM will always be more accurate. I have a fitbit and find it works really well.The fitbit can tell how active you are and keep track for you. The cost is $89-100 depending on where you get it from. I find it very helpful and wear it daily
  • think48
    think48 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    So far everyone has just talked about the advantage of counting steps. Is it really just like a fancy pedometer then? Sorry, just trying to figure out the advantages of getting one. I'm really interested but don't want to pay the money if it isn't *amazing* :) (I have a cheapo pedometer I could use if that's what it really does).
  • Kerri_is_so_very
    Kerri_is_so_very Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    I have one and wear it daily. I don't think it really influences me to do any more than I already do....but some others people at work wear step counters and we compare our steps from time to time and that is always fun to see who has more. The badges and recognition you get from fitbit is also encouraging. The only time I really make an effort is when I realize I am close to a milestone (like when I noticed I have gone 24455 steps and it is getting close to bed time).....I'll make sure I get to 25K before bed.
  • dsimmons107
    dsimmons107 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I have the fitbit and have order the one. I love it. I am addicted to it. I bought one for my wife and two friends. Everyone I know that owns one loves it. I like that I can track my sleep and all of my activities. It really cuts down on the guess work about the calories burned. Then you can control your intake based on actual calories burned instead of just guessing. It really helps a lot. But I keep mine synced all day. I am a bit obsessed. But I have also lost 49 lbs and dropped 10" off my waist. I am very fit.
  • Kerri_is_so_very
    Kerri_is_so_very Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Also, it is (was on sale) at 24hourfitness.com this week...I'm not sure when the sale ends, but it is a good deal. And yes, it is essentially a glorified pedometer.

http://mystore.24hourfitness.com/product_details.php?item=898628002021&pf_id=898628002021

current price is $79.95 (Regularly $99)