When did you know...

Options
ashley2586
ashley2586 Posts: 50 Member
it was time to quit your job? How long had you been there? what was the worst part of your job?

Replies

• corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    When i thought of every single excuse not to go to work. I found myself lying, ducking out, faking sick etc. And sometimes, I didn't even call in. I just didn't show up. I was horrible. I was there for 8 months, it was a retail gig.

Worst part of the job? IT WAS RETAIL. All of it was horrible.
  • FabMrFox
    FabMrFox Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I had worked for a company for 5 years without missing a minute/day or anything. I don't get sick often and if I did I still managed to get to work. My wife was in Hospital one night and was going to need to stay overnight so I decided my place was to be with her. I called in and was told I needed to make it to work or I'd be written up. Never went back. Worked out in the long run as I love my current job.
  • DamnImASexyBitch
    DamnImASexyBitch Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    I worked for the same company for 10 years. When they began to treat me like I was disposible after all my hard work and dedication I decided it was best to look elsewhere. Best decision ever. I miss the money I made, but the peace of mind is priceless.
  • katamus
    katamus Posts: 2,363 Member
    Options
    When I realized that I'd rather pound nails through my toes than spend another 5 minutes in the place.

When I found out that while I was putting in 20-30-40 hours of overtime my salary was significantly less than others with the same position (and not putting in the hours I was).

I'm not unreasonable, but I am worth more than what they liked to value me at.

The worst part of my job was realizing that employer didn't actually give a crap about me.

I quit just over a month ago and I've never been happier.
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    Q. For those who quit their job and found something better,
    Did your weight significantly fluctuate with your hatred for the job
    And
    Did the pounds start coming of easier when you were at yours happy new job?
  • jplord
    jplord Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    When my security badge didn't work.
  • ashley2586
    ashley2586 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Q. For those who quit their job and found something better,
    Did your weight significantly fluctuate with your hatred for the job
    And
    Did the pounds start coming of easier when you were at yours happy new job?

Great Q's!!!
  • rhvandan
    rhvandan Posts: 185
    Options
    I'm actually considering switching from my current job, but the easiest job I walked away from was my first big corporate gig. I worked for GP in their corrugated sheet division. I loved it there, but then they put a sleazeball sales rep in charge of us, and he flat out told us to lie to his customers and make promises we knew we couldn't keep and to put his customers above the other reps. I told him I didn't think that was ethical and he actually wrote me up for being insubordinate. That, and the GM was boinking the Quality control rep in his office during work hours. I felt so dirty working for those *kitten* so I packed up and moved on. They've both since been fired and are not welcome in our industry anymore.. HA! Karma!
  • Lindseyelizabeth87
    Lindseyelizabeth87 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    When you realize you dislike your daily life, it's time to move on.
    Nothing is worth spending day upon day being miserable.

I've worked a ton of jobs.. Worst one was probably scooping out lobster stomachs.
    I've worked in a lot of seafood processing plants in my day! Oddly enough, I'm now doing consulting work for them, and the experience does help, I know how your average employee at the plant feels- Insider scoop!
  • LilPinkNinja
    Options
    I knew when I was being sexually harassed (badly, I might add) and nothing was done about it. After reporting it and the guy still getting to keep his job, they just kept trying to get me to say "I'm okay and not afraid to work here" in order to keep the employer from being liable.

Quit not too long after that. Keep in mind I worked in a field with only other men.

ETA: Now that I'm not there anymore (and I quit just recently actually) I feel like I've lost immeasurable amounts of stress and am actually starting to lose weight and sleep better at night.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    When I had a particularly horrible day at work and I came home upset and burst into tears in front of my husband.
    When I realized that I was nothing like the people that I worked with, that I had serious and real goals and none of them had to do with working there.
    When I realized I did not want to be the person standing up in a meeting saying "I'm Jennie and I've been with X Company for 30 years."
    When I would wake up in a good mood and have that turn sour as soon as I drove into the parking lot of the company I worked for.
    When I dreaded going into work.

I was at my company for 13 years before I quit. My husband and I were investing in real estate at the time and doing other businesses at the same time however since I had a steady pay check it made sense (at the time) for me to work. The problem was that nothing was getting done after working hours because I was tired and didn't want to work on the other stuff. We both finally agreed on a quit date and I've been self employed for a little over a year now.

Do I like it? Hell yeah. There's nothing like being my own boss.
    Is it tough? You betcha.
    Would I ever go back to work for a corporation? Hell no.
  • ScumbagSteve
    ScumbagSteve Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    WHEN I GOT ARRESTED FOR IT.
  • beernpizza
    beernpizza Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    When my security badge didn't work.

Sorry, but this made me laugh out loud. I can't stop giggling.
  • danam82
    danam82 Posts: 30
    Options
    I knew on my first day of work.
    I was a bank teller and I hated it. It was a necessary job at that point and it was the only one I could find. I was constantly stressed. I took it out on my husband and gained 20 pounds from stress eating. I fell into a deep depression on Sunday evenings because I knew I only had a few more hours before I had to go back to the place I hated. I was there for 2.5 years before I finally found another job.
    The wait was totally worth it. I love my current job. In fact, I lost 5 pounds my first week just from lowering my stress.
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I knew when every thing that went wrong OUTSIDE Of work was the end of the world because of my stress level AT work.

I knew when I didn't care if I got fired or not. And actually HOPED to be laid off just so that I could get the severance package!

I knew when my husband bought me a night shirt with Grumpy Bear on it that said "Is it friday yet?" simply because I never smiled anymore.

It was more than time to leave...
  • kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I started an admin job and told my boss in the first month that I didn't think it was working out for me. My colleague that I had to share an office with was impossible to get along with. I almost danced a jig when she resigned - I was soooooooooooo happy. 10 years later I'm still here. I'm totally over it though and feel like I'm in a rut and am bored but the money is good, people are great, and the sick leave is really generous.