How much?

Options
I would like to know how long you exercise, what time of day, what exercise, etc. you do. I am doing 35 minutes of this everyday that it is planned http://www.youtube.com/user/BeFitin90?ob=0&feature=results_main but i see how much everyone else is doing P90X, Jillian Michaels, Insanity etc. for like hours a day and I feel so inadequate. I struggle to do the 35 minutes I do and I hate it. I feel like I am the only one not going intense. How do you do it? All I can ever think is, I have to do this (go through this pain) for the rest of my life to look OK? How can I enjoy anything when all I am doing is dreading my next workout?

Edit to say I am 18 year old female.

Replies

• Pandasarecool
    Pandasarecool Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    bump
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I currently run 3 days a week, 2 runs being a little under an hour, and then one longer run (90 min or more), and I do kettlebell workouts 3 days a week - only 15-30 min. I've gotten great results! I am going to be adding a couple more short runs on my kettlebell days when I can.

You don't need to spend a ton of time to get great results. If you want to look like a fitness model, then you will need to spend a little more time, probably.
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,431 Member
    Options
    Find something you LIKE doing. Exercise doesn't have to be awful. I love spin classes-the time goes fast for me and I look forward to going to class. Put me on the elliptical and 20 minutes in I'm ready to scream. I love zumba. Certain teachers are better than others but no matter how many calories I burn it's still fun. I like to go on bike rides, hikes, long walks outside (fast or slow). It all counts! Don't pick something you hate doing because you won't stick with it. Try new things to find something you enjoy doing.
  • Pandasarecool
    Options
    I currently run 3 days a week, 2 runs being a little under an hour, and then one longer run (90 min or more), and I do kettlebell workouts 3 days a week - only 15-30 min. I've gotten great results! I am going to be adding a couple more short runs on my kettlebell days when I can.

You don't need to spend a ton of time to get great results. If you want to look like a fitness model, then you will need to spend a little more time, probably.

I wish I liked running, it scares me.
  • spoppe
    spoppe Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    i didnt watch the video you posted as it wont open at work, but most people try serval different workouts until they find one they love, i personally am doing turbo fire, and i absolutly love it and i look forward to it. its fun and up beat. you have to find the workout that makes you look forward to working.
  • Pandasarecool
    Options
    i didnt watch the video you posted as it wont open at work, but most people try serval different workouts until they find one they love, i personally am doing turbo fire, and i absolutly love it and i look forward to it. its fun and up beat. you have to find the workout that makes you look forward to working.

How long is turbo fire? I know P90X is like over an hour long and super intense. That is scary
  • spoppe
    Options
    Turbo Fire veries in time. the longest one is 55 mins. there is a schedule that you follow that makes the workouts more effective with muscle confusion. if you think this one might be to intense, turbo jam is excellent also, its very similar just not as intense.
  • Pandasarecool
    Options
    Turbo Fire veries in time. the longest one is 55 mins. there is a schedule that you follow that makes the workouts more effective with muscle confusion. if you think this one might be to intense, turbo jam is excellent also, its very similar just not as intense.

Is it expensive? Are there any sample videos?
  • kd_mazur
    kd_mazur Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I am a full time working mom with a young family. I workout each day on my lunch hour for 30 mins. At the beginning I wondered if that would be enough and if I should try to get more workout time into my day. Then I looked at my life...30 minutes each day is sustainable for me. I could workout for hours some days but that is not sustainable for me so I choose to do what I can and not worry about the rest.
    "Don't sweat the small stuff and it's all small stuff"
  • spoppe
    Options
    check out Beachbody.com for both the programs, there are sample videos and pricing available.
  • trixiemou
    trixiemou Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Hi, I started off swimming as I have access to a pool. 10-15 minutes at first and slowly built it up. I do not really enjoy swimming and the laps bored me. I still do it, it did get easier. 20 - 25 minutes of any type of exercise still aches, but that is good. It means it is working and I am burning calories. Some people do a lot more, I am very unlikely to ever be that committed. BUT, I do more now than I ever thought I would.
    If you can keep on trying. Look around and find other programs, take some of the exercise that you have been doing and make your own program.

Good luck!
  • Pandasarecool
    Options
    check out Beachbody.com for both the programs, there are sample videos and pricing available.

Unfortunately. that is Way to expensive for me. Thanks for the suggestion though...
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

Is it expensive? Are there any sample videos?

Turbo Jam should be quite inexpensive on Amazon (these are older) ... a good place to start if you're not sure about these ... Turbo Fire is quite pricey. The workouts are good .... but they were not for me.

I agree, keep trying new things until you find something you really enjoy. Look for DVDs at your local library. Netflix by mail has hundreds of workout DVDs ... I used o rent each month, just for the workouts. Now I know what I like.

collagevideo.com is a great resource when shopping for DVDs .... many video clips & reviews. These tell you impact level, equipment needed, etc.
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options

I wish I liked running, it scares me.

It used to scare me! I started with Couch 2 5K in January, ended up loving it. The key is to build up very slowly!
  • nashai01
    nashai01 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I workout 45min to an hour 5 days a week. I know people who worked out 30 mins 3 days a week, and had amazing results. So you can start slow and then build up. Also keep in mind if your working out for 20-30 mins, give it your all and you will still get results. Also nutrition is a must.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Since I started, I have been doing intense exercise for about 30 minutes, three days a week, then light exercise on two days a week and rest days on the weekend.

In my opinion, 30 minutes of cardio three days a week along with a sensible strength training plan 2-3 days a week is the best method.
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    First - what are you goals?

There is nothing saying you have to do Insanity or P90X; they're not for everyone.

Personally, I run 3x per week - short runs during the week 3-5 miles (35-45 minutes) and a little longer on the weekend (currently 7 miles -- 65 minutes)
    I was doing a lot longer runs but an accident set me back a little due to whiplash

I was also doing the Tough Mudder Boot camp Circuit training 3x per week (60 minutes); however I am still not able to do this right now, so I do a little circuit training of my own for 20-40 minutes 2x per week

I also walk 3x with a friend for 35 minutes and sometimes walk with my husband

For fun my husband and I sometimes go hiking in the mountains (waterfall hunting), we go mountain biking and we haven't done it lately but we used to inline skate a lot

Really you should find something you LIKE to do and WANT to do; for instance do you like to dance? Do you have a WII Fit or XBOX Kinects? They have a lot of fun games; tennis, golf, track, silly games, track & field, dancing, things you might never try in real life...they're a lot of fun to do with friends.

I recommend NOT doing something you ABSOLUTELY hate for exercise....you won't keep it up; you'll find excuses NOT to do it....find something that is FUN, that you LIKE or ENJOY. Tennis? Basket ball? Baseball? Golf? Swimming? Lacrosse? Volleyball? Wally Ball? Raquet Ball? Ice skating? hockey? IDK....anything that is ACTIVE...taking a walk believe it or not, is a very good exercise and anyone can do it anywhere.

***Edited: BTW -- when I lost 35lbs before all I was doing is 30 minutes of cardio (nothing extreme) 3x per week and simple weight training 3x per week also 30 minutes
  • goldfish29
    goldfish29 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I do about 30 minutes 3 times a week. Sometimes when I'm not working overtime at work I'll take a couple classes at the gym and those are usually 45-60. I can tough out a longer class but at home I cannot work out for 45 minutes +! It works for me and if I try to over do it I get burned out and quit so do what works for you.
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    3 days/week weight training, 1 hour each day. 0 cardio.
    This has got me to 8% body fat, 105/65 blood pressure, 50 resting heart rate.

Basically, if you are doing cardio but no weights, then you are really putting yourself at a huge disadvantage.
    3 hours per week of weights, then as much cardio as you want.
  • Shaybug
    Shaybug Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    It depends on how you are utilizing those minutes. If you are doing something like the elliptical or an easy walk around your neighborhood that probably won't be too adequate. However, if you are doing something more intense like HIIT or weight/strength training you'll be getting much more payout for your time and effort.

Give yourself some credit for being active no matter what though, just try to make it worth your time and energy if finding time is tough. Once you find something you like and start seeing results you might be surprised at how much time you can open up to doing it.