Who has a Fitbit? And does it really help?

Options

Replies

• fitQueenbeast
    Options
    Bump to read later....
  • paleirishmother
    Options
    YES and YES. It is very motivating, I have been doing tons better since I have had mine. It automatically loads exercise calories to MFP, and it is very accurate. I do not even use my HRM anymore. They were always within 4 calories of each other.
  • serenalesley
    serenalesley Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit and have it set up to adjust my daily calorie goal automatically, which means that I don't actually need to manually log exercise unless it's in a form that the fitbit can't pick up properly, such as swimming, cycling or yoga. It's excellent and I've definitely found MFP easier to use since getting it, as well as finding it motivational for getting more exercise. It really does help me, but YMMV of course.

One thing though - the numbers, while approximately the same as my Polar FT HRM, are not identical so if that bothers you, you can adjust them for a particular activity (use the stopwatch function on the fitbit, starting and stopping it when you start/stop your HRM to make this as easy as possible).

It's the normal stuff that I find it useful to track though, such as stair climbing, walking to the corner shop, things that I wouldn't bother using the HRM for. They all add up and it's nice to have something slightly more accurate than guesswork. ;)
  • pixelberry
    pixelberry Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I've had mine for about 2 weeks, and it's been pretty motivational. I do about 20-30k steps per day (sometimes more, sometimes less) and if I'm close to doing 100 flights of stairs, I'll get off my duff and run up and down until I get to 100. When biking or weight lifting though, I'll still rely on my Polar FT60 HRM.
  • HisEminence
    Options
    I have been using the Fitbit for approximately three months. I have walked almost seven hundred miles in that time. I do about 8 miles a day. Five of those miles are done as one continuous exercise every early morning. I have lost about 15 pounds in that time without altering my diet at all. In terms of fitness, the results have been life- changing for me. My joint aches and pains have disappeared. My aerobic shape has improved by leaps and bounds. To be clear, the Fitbit didn't do this. I did. The fitbit is just a great fitness tool to have to keep you motivated and informed. What you can accomplish with the Fitbit depends upon what you are prepared to commit to and follow through with. If you want to lose weight, dieting has to be a part of your overall plan. The Fitbit is just a very nice tool to help you achieve whatever fitness goals you have set for yourself. There are, as you know, no magic bullets...it is just blood and guts that gets things done. It all starts with a decision to think different. The Fitbit, in my estimation was a necessary tool for me. I love the information I get from it. I love how it syncs to the Fitbit website and logs all of the short and long term information. I just love this technology! I recommend it in the highest!
  • Roeri011
    Roeri011 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    There are similar posts on the message board. I followed a couple of them and what I took away was if you had to choose between the Fitbit or HRM, the HRM is the way to go. I was looking into buying a Fitbit or upgrading my HRM. I bought a Polar FT60 and have no regrets. I think the Fitbit is a neat gadget but would not be useful for MY goals. I workout (lifting and/or cardio) 5-6 days a week so meeting a daily step goal isn't important to me.
    I have yet to hear a Fitbit owner NOT liking it so if you think it will help you reach your goals and purchase one I don't think it's a bad thing.
  • tweetybaby69
    tweetybaby69 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I lost over 60 lbs after getting my fitbit, and I consider it to be invaluable in my weight loss journey to this point. Wearing it has helped me more accurate estimate my activity level so that I eat enough (even on non-workout days), and it challenges me to climb more flights of stairs and take more steps than I would otherwise.

I can't recommend it enough, although I think the benefit of the sleep monitoring is a bit overinflated (though I do like the altimeter for stairs). There are a few cheaper fitbit versions now that I would probably buy instead given the price difference of $40 or so.

^^ This...... I love my fit bit
  • Off10h8ed
    Off10h8ed Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I love my fitbit! The main reason is that my activity is up and down so I have MFP set at sedentary, my fitbit then compensates (adds to) my calorie bank as I use them. When I exercise I enter all that separately. I just feels like this give me a more accurate balance.
  • desirae1983
    desirae1983 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • UnderConstructionJ
    UnderConstructionJ Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    bump
  • think48
    think48 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Also, it is (was on sale) at 24hourfitness.com this week...I'm not sure when the sale ends, but it is a good deal. And yes, it is essentially a glorified pedometer.

http://mystore.24hourfitness.com/product_details.php?item=898628002021&pf_id=898628002021

current price is $79.95 (Regularly $99)

Great info, thanks!!!
  • think48
    think48 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I love my fitbit! The main reason is that my activity is up and down so I have MFP set at sedentary, my fitbit then compensates (adds to) my calorie bank as I use them. When I exercise I enter all that separately. I just feels like this give me a more accurate balance.

Thank you, this is a precise answer. :)
  • Crucker73
    Crucker73 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I've had my Fitbit for about a month now and I have lost some weight. I think its because I am aware of when I'm sedentary and its becomes a goal of mine to get to the 10,000 steps per day. It definitely makes you aware of how active/non-active you are.

I would definitely recommend it.
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    it really depends what you are looking for in a gizmo.

I have the Fitbit Zip - approx $50.00 does not track sleep or flights of stairs climbed.
    Does track steps, distance and daily calorie burn.

It is an estimate based on your personal info - age, weight height, sex, and the activity that it reads from your motion.
    It does give you a total daily estimate which you can more accurately tailor your diet to.
    Eg average your daily burn # and deduct 500 cals from that # and set your calorie intake goal to that to lose 1 lb a week.

The website offers good graphs that i think are better than MFP's graphing functions.

Just like anything its not magic - using it suddenly will not make you lose weight. its a tool to give you more information.
    How you use that information and apply it will determine if you lose weight or not.
  • michikade
    michikade Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit, and agree that I feel like it keeps everything more accurate because my activity level is all over the place. I also have a Fitbit Aria scale, which is awesome and is now integrated here :)

Speaking of which... It's time for me to get off my lazy backside and get moving ;)
  • mkzara
    mkzara Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I have had my fitbit for almost 2 months and I love it. I definitely feel like I do more just so I don't feel like a giant fatty when I look at my fitbit at the end of the day.

The fitbit doesn't make you do anything but for someone like me who likes to track my fitness, this helps a great deal. I love being able to see how much I did over the life of having the fitbit or how my walking changed my calories spent.

If you are someone who is motivated by detailed information of your steps, and like to walk as part of your fitness it's a great tool.

I dont user the sleep thing so can't speak to that
  • c8linmarie
    c8linmarie Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    There are similar posts on the message board. I followed a couple of them and what I took away was if you had to choose between the Fitbit or HRM, the HRM is the way to go. I was looking into buying a Fitbit or upgrading my HRM. I bought a Polar FT60 and have no regrets. I think the Fitbit is a neat gadget but would not be useful for MY goals. I workout (lifting and/or cardio) 5-6 days a week so meeting a daily step goal isn't important to me.
    I have yet to hear a Fitbit owner NOT liking it so if you think it will help you reach your goals and purchase one I don't think it's a bad thing.

I guess I will be the first to say, I absolutely hate it!!

Just a few days ago, it told me I burned 4244 calories in the 7 hours I spent ASLEEP, from midnight to 7AM.

Yesterday, I walked 11 miles, took over 26,000 steps and burned just over 1,000 calories. According to my BodyMedia, my TDEE for the day was 2536. According to Fitbit: 1867 TDEE, 1545 of which was burned during the walk, and I only took 19,023 steps :huh:
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my FitBit and have been wearing it since I got it at the end of February. For my actual workouts I do use my Polar FT7 (but still keep my FitBit on). If you log your HRM workout accurately you won't "double up" your calorie burns. I've never had a problem.
  • gloriaandison
    Options
    I have one, and absolutely love it-my "consience in my pocket"! I've never climbed stairs in my life because I wanted to, but now I do! It keeps me honest, and so does my Aria Scale-best investment in my health I've made.
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options

Exactly right. Take heed of what folks said about the Fitbit and workouts. It is fine for walking or running but it gives crazy readings on any machines.